Road to Rainbow Station report

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jockomontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road to Rainbow Station report
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:12pm
Jockomontana View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Greetings! I’m an Alaskan on fishing holiday here in NZ. My mate and I will be fishing our way up to Auckland over the next two weeks.. and I’m trying to plan out our trip...

I’m looking into the idea of driving from Hanmer Springs thru to Blenheim via Rainbow Station... looks like heaps of good water to fish in the Clarence and Wairau watersheds. I was wondering how many kilometers this might be and how many days is good to plan for...

Thanks. Any advice or queries welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:57pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Jockomontana Jockomontana wrote:

Greetings! I’m an Alaskan on fishing holiday here in NZ. My mate and I will be fishing our way up to Auckland over the next two weeks.. and I’m trying to plan out our trip...

I’m looking into the idea of driving from Hanmer Springs thru to Blenheim via Rainbow Station... looks like heaps of good water to fish in the Clarence and Wairau watersheds. I was wondering how many kilometers this might be and how many days is good to plan for...

Thanks. Any advice or queries welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi Jocko ..... welcome to the forum & hope your stay here goes well.

Is difficult to answer your queries objectively other than to say despite NZ being tiny in comparison to Alaska try not to make the mistake most visitors make of trying to fit too much into a short amount of time only to find the travelling times etc. can be quite deceptive at times, despite not appearing to be on a map.

Therefore imo it would be prudent to focus on a limited number of locations, explore each one extensively then if you have time to spare maybe look at one or two additional otherwise you will likely spend a disproportionate amount of time travelling & setting up etc.

Can be difficult here at times to find local advice also various points of access therefore one of several books available may prove a worthwhile investment, also make yourselves familiar with the "Fish and Game" sites which offer a wide source of info at no cost.

All the best & will look forward to reports on your expedition.

PS you may not encounter salmon as big as in Alaska but neither will you need to worry about bears altho the sandflies here can prove to be even more of a problem than your mosquitos so would be advisable to have some light form of clothing that will cover any exposed skin.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:49am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Jocko,
Last I heard the bridge at the acheron river was out so there was no access all the way through.
Personally, I would go from Blenheim to hanmer, not the other way, that's for a few reasons, the main one being that the Clarence river has Didymo and I wouldn't want to see that transferred into the wairau system.

You could easily spend a few days fishing the wairau, it's some great water.