Auckland to the Barrier

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auckland to the Barrier
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:13am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was looking for a list of charter boats that leave from Auckland and head to the Barrier for a fish and maybe overnight onboard, before returning the next day. Any suggestions?
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 4:07pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are not many boats that will do that due to the fuel costs, high engine hours, and the corresponding high charter cost. I don't think anyone is currently doing it on an ' individual shared trip' basis. If you have a group of people I can sort out a trip for you on one of our boats with a good skipper. From late summer next year we will be offering a limited number of trips on Tagit and/or another of our boats targeting big 'winter' Snapper and Puka etc around the wider Gt Barrier area. These will be shared trips that you can join in on as an indivdual or couple etc departing late Friday avo and returning Sun evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 8:58am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cliff you might fall over when you realise a weekend trip tot he Barrier may cost you $5000 + food.......http://www.coolrunningscharters.co.nz/about-the-boat/
You need a bunch of mates to share the costs.

The other option is to travel to and from Tryphena Great Barrier on Sea Link.
I would make it a long weekend - take an extra day. You can do a day as a beachcomber.
And for the fishing grab a local charter for a day or half day fishing trips. 
The locals know where the fish are; 
And the 10 hour fishing trip for $1500 is a good price as you do not spend 3 to 5 hours steaming,,,,plus the locals pay a lot more for their diesel.

The Barrier is a great place and it is a good idea to support the locals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had a bit of an abstract thought.. never looked into it thu.. Put the  truck/boat / trailer on a ferry.. (sure there must a be a service, like Waiheke??) head to barrier for few days/ week?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:02pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I have had a bit of an abstract thought.. never looked into it thu.. Put the  truck/boat / trailer on a ferry.. (sure there must a be a service, like Waiheke??) head to barrier for few days/ week?

Steps, the Sea Link service on the Eco Islander can carry cars and boat trailers.  http://www.waihekepedia.org/index.php/Eco_Islander
I have had friends take their boat to the Barrier on her and camped on the island or hired a bach for a few days. https://www.thebarrier.co.nz/campgrounds.htm
DOC has a number of camping grounds and some private sites as well.
Great idea and makes a great holiday.
Just remember that petrol is about 50% dearer than the mainland, but then you are right near the fishing and diving spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 10:52am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys. Tagit, that wide great barrier trip sounds awesome! Don, I definitely fell over after seeing the $5k trip cost! 

I love the Barrier and agree about supporting the locals. Will have another think about the options. Could just ferry and camp at the Doc site at Harataonga Bay. There's a 20lber swimming around with one of my hooks in its mouth that I need to get back....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good heads up Don....truck a tank diesel will more than have whats needed.
Petrol.. make sure leave there with stuff all in the boat tank  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 10:46pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fly over and stay for the weekend
Hook up a charter over there
Will work out alot cheaper id say
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:22pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to go over there and get dropped off on the rocks........The guy might still be doing it.......out of tryphena.........that is of course land based.....just giving you an option.....if you want more details of that....just pm me.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtremefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:48am
xtremefisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

very intrested to be kept in contacts for one of these trips 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtremefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:54am
Bronze
Bronze

i was doing barrier as a annual trip but as a 3 day trip out of te kouma coromadel i believe they still run barrier and curvier trips but is pricey few years back cost me 3500 for 3 days but last trip i got quoted was round the 5000 mark i usualy go with 10 but a nightmare to organise then people pull out end up having to cover extra its a real pain in the ass to say the least taggits trips sound like the no stress way to go about it Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:05pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by xtremefisho xtremefisho wrote:

very intrested to be kept in contacts for one of these trips 
Pm me your email if you like and I will put you on the mailing list so you get the chance to book before the dates go public. 

The 2.5 day Barrier trips (depart Fri avo and return Sun night or early Monday morning if peoples schedules allow) will be around $750 - $800 per angler including all your catering, bait, rod hire, tackle etc. In general terms a fully catered liveaboard trip will cost around $300 - $350 per angler per day. A bit more if we mix some game fishing in and a bit more again for full on dedicated game fishing trips as we take less anglers on those.
If you are looking for a bit of an all around style experience we will possibly do some 3.5 & 4.5 day trips mixing up the Puka/Snapper/Kingi etc fishing with some game fishing if we can fit these trips in. 

I put a few photos from some previous trips up on our FishingAKL Facebook page last night if you want to check them out. A few friends, a few customers, and a few butt ugly forums members but the fish are pretty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 5:45pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Let me know if ya need a deck hand Dave!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:24pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trouble is you would catch all the damn fish Bull!!Have to leave some for the customers. Still the idea has possibilities once you have been through obedience school and I hide all the beer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:46pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Maybe we should have a couple of training runs!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtremefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:48am
Bronze
Bronze

[email protected]   thanks taggit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:04am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have you in our database now Mike. You will get emails from time to time (maybe 4 or 5 per year) when we release new trip dates so you can access them before the general public.

We did some final costings and here are the 3 Barrier related trips we will be offering in 2018 -

2.5 day Barrier and wider areas trip focused on Puka and deep water speciesplus some big Snapper. Leave Friday avo as soon as everyone can get here and return Sun evening or early Mon morning if that works OK for the anglers.
Fully catered (with quality meals, snacks etc) it is $4500 for the boat or $563 each for 8 anglers. That includes rods, tackle, bait etc as well so just bring your own drinks and personal gear.

2.5 day (same timings as above) Fish Great Barrier, Cuvier Island, Channel Island mainly targeting big Snapper and Kingis but also some Puka etc at the right time of year. This is $3900 for the boat or $488 per angler for 8 anglers fully catered etc

2.5 days (same timings again) Fish Great Barrier, Mokohinaus, Little Barrier. Again mainly targeting big Snapper and Kingis but also some Puka etc at the right time of year. This is $3900 for the boat or $488 per angler for 8 anglers fully catered etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Platinum
Platinum

Great prices there Tagit, awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:03pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

By aroudn April - hopefully sooner - I should be doing all dayers to the Barrier for smaller groups of 4 or 5. I'll share some info in the new year once I pick the boat up and progress the MOSS stuff. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtremefisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:36pm
Bronze
Bronze

if anyone is short on barrier trips i would be keen to be down as a jump on if i get enough notice to get the time off or hopefully fall on my week off