Late 80s Yamaha 150 - ghost trimming up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Danny Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late 80s Yamaha 150 - ghost trimming up
    Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
Danny Buoy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Morning team,

My old Yamaha has picked up a ghost - it has started trimming itself up at random times.

Can anyone suggest where I should look first / next?  I am contemplating trying to check contacts on the switches (on the engine and on the remote - are they sealed?) checking earths (not sure where they are on this engine) checking connections on the trim motor...

Any tips would be much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 12:11pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would start with the engine and throttle switches. They most likely operate a pair of relays to feed the trim motor so the next place to check would be the relays but the two switches are the most likely culprits.It is very likely that the switches switch the +ve feed to the relays so a bad earth is not such a likely explanation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 8:51am
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On my Mercury it was a faulty relay. You'll find two small sealed plastic boxes on the engine with electrical feeds in and out. One controls up trim, one down. Very easy to replace and pretty cheap too. Worth having a spare on the boat as if it has a runaway trim on the water it's a real pain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Danny Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:12am
Danny Buoy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi.  With no wind yesterday coinciding with a day off I decided a trip out was required (even though I hadn't at that stage looked at my ghost issue).  

In running the motor up in the tank at home before leaving it started to trim up - so I took the engine cover off and unplugged the wires from the motor rocker switch and no more issues.  Made it hard to get the motor out of the tank though!