Finally made it to Mokau :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally made it to Mokau :)
    Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:13am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have been trying to get down to Mokau to fish with Snappa Geoff for the last couple of years.
Last Thursday I finally made it. Took the trek all the way from Hawkes Bay and arrived Wednesday arvo. Geoff showed me a few of the sights and then we settled in with a few beers to tie up some rigs.
We headed off Thursday morning to fish the low tide.
Got some Kahawai on the sabiki rig and broomstick rod Wink
Chucked over some baits and with in half an hour we were into the fish.
My PB is 18lb and I equaled that with fish on the boat. See the photo f it, I tried for 10 mins to let it go again but it just didnt want to swim away.Ouch
Dropped one at the boat that Geoff said was at least 20lb or more, while get ready to weigh and photo it she spat the bait in her guts we think and off she went. So I did get a fish bigger than my PB but didnt get out of the water.. lol.
Im  just happy she managed to swim back down again for another day.
Had a ball and enjoyed time with the hosts Geoff and Heidi.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:25am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good you made the trip, I had an awesome time down there also!

He's a keen Snapper fisho alright and also enjoys a yarn over a few beers, friendly local pub to - what more could you ask for?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 12:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's awesome Smelli. Nice fish!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 12:54pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was great meeting you finally Darryl and the Snaps played ball as well. Except your big one that eluded usCryStill kicking myself why i didn't use landing net at side of boat instead of relying on trace when we were preparing to weigh and photo, then release, but the fish had other ideasLOL Was a magic  day on the water all the same. Beer G....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:51pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Smelli and Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:21pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mokau is certainly turning  on the Snapper fishing well done Guys.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.