The carrot patch - kaboom

Post Options Post Options   Likes (12) Likes(12)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The carrot patch - kaboom
    Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 7:07pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's a quick report from a extended weekend with my lad - logan and fatherin law Cam.

Hooked the boat up in Christchurch on Wednesday night for the 7 hour tow to havelock at the base of the Marlborough sounds. Blue cod season is close so the plan was to target gurnard. I've never really had a plan just to hit the carrots but fair to saw we will be doing it again.
Got to havelock at 3pm on Thursday and whilst loading the boat the young lad fell off the boat and landed shoulder and head down. It's 5 foot to board platform so I had one of those 'oh no' moments and a little panic as we were in the concrete car park. Up to the local doc who was really nice and we got the all clear. New glasses coming and plenty of savlon to fix it.

Managed to shoot out to middle pelorus and onto a club mooring I belong too for a refresher or two and settle in for the night. Next morning up and a quick blank fish in spot A, then on to spot b with a really close buzz by Dolphins including one that nearly jumped in the boat - logan was lean over the side and got its spray over him - a very close encounter. Got to spot b, now renamed spot c. Fished for 2 hours on the drift for 18 carrots with several double headers and a triple hook up. Only 390mm and above kept. Onto the mooring again and a few refreshers whilst I filleted. Next day back to spot b - fished for 1 hour before pulling the pin as we had more than enough. It gave us plenty of time for poppa dad and son time. Ended up probably only 3 hours of fishing time due to hitting the mother load and not wanting to overtake. Plenty of refreshment and exiting time!

Magic trip over 4 days. Biggest gurnard pushing 500mm, smallest kept was 390, nothing under legal hooked. Epic gurnard.
I'll let he pictures do the talking

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 7:09pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:05pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff. Making good memories for the boy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:11pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who needs Blue Cod.Prime eating right there!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:35pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work on the carrots. Man that's a big trip when you include the travel, I bet you all slept well after it was all over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pops Dad son,thats what its all about,imagine how morning talks went at school,wonder if the gurnard grew??Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 9:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work some great gurnard there. The little guy seems to have forgotten the bump to his head, that could have been terrible. I often wonder how many people get injured falling from boats onto the ground.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah was a bit of a worry. He was so keen to go fishing but I made tha call to get the doc to check it out. Good size egg on his forehead and we convinced him he left a dent in the concrete. On return to the car park on Sunday he was looking for the dent in the car park for 10 minutes but I said it must have been under a car parked in the park I was originally in๐Ÿ˜‰
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:19pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Who needs Blue Cod.Prime eating right there!!

Actually I thought they were maybe a bit better. And easier to catch with the numbers we came across. We had a triple gurnard hook up at one time and one was a double. It was a pack attack, almost work up stuff!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

Great work on the carrots. Man that's a big trip when you include the travel, I bet you all slept well after it was all over.

Yes a big haul. 2 tanks of diesel in the ranger and over the Lewis pass plus weka pass.
Was a 3 pie trip with maybe 20 odd road works stops. But all a distant memory with the pictures like this
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:08am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Blimmin awesome JB.
Great carrots and neat photos...Cool
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:47am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What an adventure! Great memories I'm sure. Boat looks nice as well. What boat is it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:15pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JW JW wrote:

What an adventure! Great memories I'm sure. Boat looks nice as well. What boat is it?

It's a 8.75m image, custom made for me by image boats in invercargill. It's a 9m Loa with twin 150 suzuki', full simrad kit and set up for extended away stays. Here is the link to the review as tradeaboat did a review on it. It's a beast of aboat.
http://www.imageboats.co.nz/reviews/875m-fishmaster

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:36pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome boatBig smile! That's a significant upgrade from the yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:35pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote denbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm
denbo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great photos .You will treasure these all your life as will your son. AAA+
If things don,t change they will stay the same
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:02pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What a magic place that is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:01am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great fishing. I did a trip down there a few years ago, they had a little boat and we went out in the Bay of Many Coves only about 500m off shore and got this haul in a couppe of hours. It was in April and you had to dodge the spiny dogs.