Gave it ago

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not Meths !!!  paraffin oil...which is refined kero..which is refined diesel... bit over simplified ..
 Think about it.. you burn, graze whatever, yourself, head to hospital, what is the stuff on the gauze they put on it... a paraffin.. just a bigger molecule than liquid paraffin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:11pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/soft-baits/auction-1465807388.htm

I'd recommend spending the equivalent on one packet of durable Z Mans - as others have said - in one of the go to colours. That packet of "seconds" look like Gulp Jerk Shads which need quite a bit of movement to work correctly, and it seems like false economy to buy a whole lot of bodies you may not get the best out of.
As others have said, the next grade up in reels is probably more important than the rod, particularly if you're mostly just dropping into channels or sign on the finder. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

PJC I have 3 or 4 soft bait/slow jig sets. They range from a  Shimano Catana/Nexave combo with a retail of around $200 to sets worth ... well a little bit more (pretty sure my wife doesn't visit here but best to be safe eh). While I prefer the more expensive gear I couldn't imagine a better value for money than the Catana/Nexave combo. stick some 10lb braid on that  (Sufix 832 of similar quality) and  you cant go wrong. I've never even serviced that set in 2 years of thrashing. I'm too scared to do that with the better kit. I doubt you would get a set as good for the money. I l also doubt you would get a decent sb set for less money.

Baitrunner type reels such as the Thunnus or Okuma Avenger are simply not needed for softbaiting.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Baitrunner type reels such as the Thunnus or Okuma Avenger are simply not needed for softbaiting.

I agree on that...in saying that , are very convenient as the sb goes under you then out the back, feeding line and jigging at the same time...
Or you have a stray line out the back or whatever, sb ing.. the line out the back gets hit, drop the sb in the holder little drag on the baitrunner...attend to the line out the back..

Also makes the rig ideal for stray lining, out the back.. dual purpose rigs.. important on budgets...

Son started with a okuma revenger.. very budget reel and x factor or extreme (cant rem) rod...one of the rods now relegated to 'crew' statis...
 Also has a thunus and nano matrix....difference is chalk and cheese.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:37pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been thinking about this for awhile now,could you use a s/b on a long trace under a balloon to target kings? My thinking is if in plenty of current the action would done by the tide or would it just hang there doing nothing? nephew is taking out on the weekend so wonder if its worth trying or not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL You could try. But I think a livebait would be somewhat better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It would pretty much just hang there and do nothing PJC.Lures need action to work well. In extreme current I have used a softbait on a ledger rig firmly anchored on the bottom thanks to a heavy sinker and caught a few modest fish but the same method fished under a balloon would see the sb just rise to the surface. You could weight it I guess but yeah. A live bait will work if there's a hungry king around. Just on that, we have much more success putting livies on a sinker than under a balloon. A balloon is great around rocks where you need to leep the bait out of the kelp and stuff.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 2:31am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks,confirmed what I thought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:53am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ouch mate!

You sure as hell can't softbait with mono so in the short term nothing else matters.

Gotta have a proper softbait set up ie rod braid trace...I use jiffy clips which are fun and fast on the business end.

In fast drifts or deep I do better with micros in the heavier weights because gram for gram they cast better and sink faster than softies.

I haven't used bait for over a decade maybe 15 years now...it is addictive if you like to be connected and stay busy fishing.

Also you are not killing tons of fish to catch fish so it's helping out the food supply for those fish you wish to catch in future.

Also it's nice to just have what you need on the boat so you can fish anytime you want without wishing you had brought bait along...

I get all my stuff from Kaveman in terms of micros braid and rods.

Best of luck with the broken wing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been thinking about this for awhile now,could you use a s/b on a long trace under a balloon to target kings?

Love the 'think outside the box.'. or simply " I wonder what will happen.." attitudes
like drop a soft bait or a long line trace off the burely pot, hanging just off the bottom 20/25m, current and drift.
 The pickers clean of if a baited hook  and a soft bait get pretty messed up.. assume pickers.
or put a couple soft baits on the long line..
SBs on a long line, forget it.. maybe worth a try if in current and have some sort of float thu..
 or long lasting lumo on sinkers, and soft bait hooks.
 Hard to tell if fish are on the bite for that day or strike a day they are just not hungry next time.
I have been messing last few trips around putting a few $2 shop feathers under the snell knot on floating stray line traces. (sinker top of the trace)
 The hardest part is thinking about it, the next trip out ends up a week away and forget to give it a try.

Just going out, harvest fish for the bin can be so often the same old... but throw in a few , even crazy ideas adds some entertainment for the day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:04pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well went out with the nephew and set up a balloon with a 2m trace with a jighead and softbait pinky/grey thing.Good tide flow no wind.
interesting as small rats hung around it,head butted it swam away,next minute bang fish on and a nice ky,so yes it works but appears to be a toy for kings,will try again when we find some decent size kings
Spent bout 2hrs mucking around with it determind to catch something on it.

Still cannot upload photos grr.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:18am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha Kings are so curious and kahawai are plain dumb. That is what you learnt. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I try stuff, espec fishing , tru iy quite a few times.
 My thinking is  that the 1st or 2nd try maybe just one of those too frequent days things are just slow... or maybe wrong season.
 If the balloon/sb was bringing that much attention I would definitely be experimenting more... depth/ lengthy trace etc.
 Maybe 2 balloons about 5 or 10m apart on the mainline and end?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:12am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try a livebait see if the Kings ignore it. Better still try some of your lunch a piece of ham or sausage or even bread the kings will probably eat it just to feel it out. Just saying anything goes when fishing and they are curious animals. 
Page  <12