Mint Day, Good Snaps. Mokau!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mint Day, Good Snaps. Mokau!
    Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:38pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all with a clear day, one metre swell light winds forcasted today and for the next three or four the temptation to fish was stronger than a day at workBig smile A big plus was having my brother Mick home on his rostered week off from working on oil rig. So off we went easy launch out to favourite spot within five minutes! Set up by 7am the first two hours quiet on the Straylines apart from a few trace destroying big Grey sharks! A plus was Sabiki's were catching Kahawai hand over foot, boil ups all around us. Finally Mick had a distinctive Snap run, hooked up and landed a nice fish around six kg. Half an hour later i had a good Line Puller! hooked up our best one of the day, i would of put pretty close to a 20 lb's Hopefully Saturday, Sunday In Fish Cities Annual Snapper Kingi Classic can catch similar or bigger Id'e be happy making the drive to Hamilton for Weigh inBig smile We finished the morning off with two more smaller ones 3-4 kg and the smallest Gurnhard iv'e ever Caught on Sabiki. Thought of Smudge as it zoomed back down to grow bigger after releasingLOL Few Photo's - Myself holding a couple, Mick, and the colourful little Gurny! Cheers......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:55pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow beaut Snapper as always - though the Gurnard was a bit small even for us Aucklanders!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:22pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff Geoff as usual another great report.we launched at newplymouth early and hit the 40m Mark straight off mokau river mouth.fishing wasint red hot but got a good feed. biggest went 6kg.those spikey sharks do ya head in๐Ÿ˜
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:30pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic and awesome Geoff, Smudge will be crying into his Grog, but we love releasing small fish and we love our Smudge.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Good stuff Geoff as usual another great report.we launched at newplymouth early and hit the 40m Mark straight off mokau river mouth.fishing wasint red hot but got a good feed. biggest went 6kg.those spikey sharks do ya head in๐Ÿ˜
Hi W.S. Good fishing and effort making trip to Mokau on the water! One thing i have found over the years the closer in you fish the less Spikey Sharks caught. Still get the odd Grey and Tope, but this year especially hardly caught any Spikies where as boats out wide  catching heaps enough to do ya head in like you say! Out of interest for other Boaties how far, time wise from New Plymouth To Mokau on the water? Cheers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Geoff. I must get those jigs in the post!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the info Geoff.the trip from newplymouth to mokau takes about an hour doing around 25 knotts. Distance around 50km.just have to be careful we don't get caught out with an afternoon westerly.very ugly trip home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:06pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Geoff, i was thinking it had been over a week since you caught a 20lber must be due another one soon.
By the way you are holding that tiny gurnard, i thought you were getting ready to put a hook through it and cast it out back.

Don't worry i won't say anything Wink
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Nice one Geoff, i was thinking it had been over a week since you caught a 20lber must be due another one soon.
By the way you are holding that tiny gurnard, i thought you were getting ready to put a hook through it and cast it out back.

Don't worry i won't say anything Wink
Wot! i enjoy hearing from Smudge. If i did that The Gurnhard Guru would never contact me againLOL Mick zoomed in for photo, it actually looks bigger than it was! bout 100mm probably to small for livey anyway! You going in Comp on Weekend Stephen? Be alot of boats out West for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:51pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I wish i knew about it earlier Geoff, but not this time. The weigh in at H town would be a bit of a drag for you. Lets hope you can carry on with your winning formula. Weather looks fishy, you should clean up. I am actually planning on a evening strayline fish Saturday night in the muddy, so will see if the moon calender is any good, should be exceptional fishing over the simultaneous (sunset/moonset).
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 6:38am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice work yet again.. Save some for me Wink
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361