Coastguard - feedback on membership please

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coastguard - feedback on membership please
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:56pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

A Coastguard membership is arguably an essential item if you're heading out on the briny.

We've been talking to our mates at Northern Regional Coastguard and they are really keen to get some feedback from our forum members.

If you have a membership, for how long and the benefits you see in having it?

If you don't have a membership they'd be interested to know if you're thinking about getting one & if you have any questions about membership.

Finally, anyone who's actually been assisted by the Coastguard, they'd love to hear your stories in this thread.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macka2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:06pm
macka2012 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Over 8 years, but hey as a volunteer for them I obviously see the value in it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:11pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Coastguard membership... bit like a Locator beacon... Hope i never have to use them, although my PLB has been set off 2x. I have been a CG member for 2 years as a bit of my boating recently has been off shore,  and had a PLB for 20 ? years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:13pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

3 years & wouldn't be without it.
Big respect for Coastguard volunteers.
Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:34pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well Grant I have used their services. Been a member ,still a member,took wife out fishing about 18 months ago and the motor stopped pumping water.(found spare impeller after the event)called coastguard up,they arrived within a hour and towed us from Mellons Bay up the tamiki river to PT England.Then they came along side and barged us to our mooring in panmure. Well worth the $115 membership,which is valid for to use on anyone elses vessel I may be onboard and require assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Member for 10 (?) years. I've never needed their rescue service, and hopefully never will, but that's fine - nice to know they will be there if I ever need them, even if I'm not on my own boat. Membership is a worthy annual donation to a great organisation (with the benefit of avoiding a tow home fee if you do need them Wink)  

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:03pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Member for years not used for breakdowns yet but appreciate peace of mind and used trip report for bar crossings a lot - big thumbs up from me Thumbs Up!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:09pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I brought my membership 2 weeks before finalizing the purchase of my first boat so ive been a member for 11 months, obviously i see it as an essential and once i have the spare cash ill definitely be buying a lifetime membership! 

whether i ever use them or not im happy to donate to coast guard.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:14pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have always been a member until a year ago and I forgot to renew my membership on time. I wanted to go fishing one day and hoped I could update my membership before I headed out. I tried to do do it online but was unable to as my membership had expired by a month. Called their number and they said I had to call back after 8.30 or 9am. Really in this day and age I cant resubscribe over the internet. Very poor service.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:29pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been a member at Pauanui Tairua for 8 years and am more than happy to pay the annual fee. They provide an outstanding serbice and I wouldn't consider heading out without giving them a call.
However I don't wear my life jacket as much as I should and often get a tune up from the more sensible younger members of the crew.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Grunta,
I recently purchased my first boat and am definitely considering joining - I heard an ad on the radio last night (Radio Sport) on the way home, and it sounds like a good deal.
I plan to do a day skipper's course, even though I've been going out on other people's boats for years and I'm relatively familiar with the boating rules etc. I'm sure I will learn something.
I often see the volunteers training or doing real missions out from Howick Beach and I think they do a great job, often a thankless one at times, i'm sure.
I just wish they had the legal teeth to nail the idiot jetskiers and water ski boaties in our area as well - or maybe bow-mounted water cannons!!

TTK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote full sacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:25pm
full sacks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a game fisher person find coastguard useless as the 12 mile thingy makes it a waste of time, had to deal with this last year off the manakau had to fart arse around waiting for a mate who was a member to organise a tow WHAT A JOKE . if it costs to much give the opportunity to get cover for it ....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clutch Clutch wrote:

I have always been a member until a year ago and I forgot to renew my membership on time. I wanted to go fishing one day and hoped I could update my membership before I headed out. I tried to do do it online but was unable to as my membership had expired by a month. Called their number and they said I had to call back after 8.30 or 9am. Really in this day and age I cant resubscribe over the internet. Very poor service.
had same issue last january,joined ad a new member payment went through no problem,new years day,sorted it out with them a day later and they transferred over to my old membership,as long as you paid your covered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:42pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

full sacks View Drop Down 

Platinum 
Platinum 

As a game fisher person find coastguard useless as the 12 mile thingy makes it a waste of time, had to deal with this last year off the manakau had to fart arse around waiting for a mate who was a member to organise a tow WHAT A JOKE . if it costs to much give the opportunity to get cover for it ....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....
Interesting comment, guess your 1st boat must have been an offshore weapon and you possessed all of your knowledge from day 1 ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:44pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by full sacks full sacks wrote:

....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....

charming...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:16pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive been a member for probably 7 years plus. I have been towed once (broken steering cable) and was on-board a mates boat who received assistance all within a one week period. Would not be without the membership, I support most of their raffles also. The recent addition of a free/cheap dayskipper makes the whole thing a no-brainer really the membership is such good value. As said here before big ups to the men and woman who put their lives in danger to rescue us. 

Full sacks you should check the 12mile 'rule' I dont think it is as black and white as it may appear. The only suggestion I could make in terms of improvemnt would be the ability to buy the raffle tickets online and/or have them for sale around the community/malls etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:46pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been a member for 2 years, haven't needed them yet but took advantage of the Day Skippers course discount etc.

Would be good to be able to buy raffle tickets online.

Here's a link outlining the T&C's around assistance, relevant bits on page 4.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Member since I first got a boat (6 years?)
Never had cause to use it, but did get a free ride from Coastguard back when the Canterbury was sunk......accompanied a poorly person back to Paihia then back to watch the boat sink.
Fully support them, and, 12 miles? How far should they go if you break down ???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:26am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Became a member when I bought my boat 12 years ago - would not consider going out without it. Never had to use it and hope I never do. 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:57am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have been a member of Northern Region Coastguard for the past 14 years and recently purchased the 3 year membership. 
Before that I had been a regular participant in their excellent training courses, VHF, Boatmasters to Oceans Yachtmaster (Cert #192). 
Earlier this year they were very helpful in obtaining my RYA CEVNI International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft for Inland and Coastal Waters - yes we went cruising on the canals and rivers of Europe. Coastguard and RYA was a ****e fight relationship to work through - our Coastguard is a much more sensible training organisation to work with - good folk at HQ.

I have been a member of Whitianga Coast guard as well as Northern Region. But now everything is run through Auckland, so being a joint member is no longer necessary.
So I am presently reconsidering this membership. 
I remain a member of Barrier Radio - Emmy does a really great service. Nothing like dealing with the locals.

I have never ever called up and asked for a tow. And it is my intention that this should never happen - touch wood -  but you need to drive a diesel powered wooden boat.
Page  123 5>