Bonze Lure Tips

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonze Lure Tips
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:03pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:43pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never a truer word spoken, don't ask me why I agree with this Wink

"But as we all know, a lot can change over just a few days, let alone in the weeks and months that pass between most recreational trips. The end result is often a large fuel bill and no bites!" 

Was more like 100 hours for me last season. In most cases it was a case of going north when I should have headed south or vice versa.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:39pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep not a lot to disagree with. Great article. Interesting saying a firm 1/3 drag and supoposedly light gauge hooks are ok . Guess will find out this year for sure as pretty much what we are planning interesting too about the freer swinging rear hook... had already gleaned that from one of his rigging videos but good explanation here as to why.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

5 kilo bite drag for lightgage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I been running my light gauge at just enough drag to stop line peeling of spool at 8 knots.then when we get a bite and once gear cleared and rod in the belt push drag forward to 5kg fight drag.have had to use much more than that on the odd fish that's gone deep and have never snapped a hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:27am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is this advice true for our striped marlin, rather than the predominate blue marlin?
Good reading and nothing complicated about it.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:51am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Very good oil right there, would like to see or read his tips on using Light Gauge hook rigs?
Segador, any chance you can post some of your tips on using Light gauge hooks in Hawaii , photo of hook rigs etc, cleaning procedure, any spray coatings you use on hooks to prolong their life or just treat them as disposable items and bin them every few days? cheers all good info for everyone to increase chances, swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:59am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the only thing we changed from fishing in nz for striped marlin to fishing in kona for blue marlin is we went from 7 knots to 8knots and put a bigger teaser out and bigger lures on the short positions all the same stuff bonze taught me over here worked over there
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Is this advice true for our striped marlin, rather than the predominate blue marlin?
Good reading and nothing complicated about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:10am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Very good oil right there, would like to see or read his tips on using Light Gauge hook rigs?
Segador, any chance you can post some of your tips on using Light gauge hooks in Hawaii , photo of hook rigs etc, cleaning procedure, any spray coatings you use on hooks to prolong their life or just treat them as disposable items and bin them every few days? cheers all good info for everyone to increase chances, swordfishsteve
bonze has too vids on youtube for rigging light gage hooks worth watching as you can pause and follow as he does it best way to learn in your own house in your own time.For day to day use we wash them with fresh water then dry them then check zinc anode and add more on if old one is almost gone we have been getting 4 or5 days fishing with a rig with this method 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only ran 5kg of drag on my reels for the bite on lite gauge hooks. worked fine for the fish that I caught.