Softbaiting with Swivels

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Softbaiting with Swivels
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For anyone interested.

Been using swivels the past few months with no adverse affects on catch or landing fish. Bonus being I can fish a lighter leader tied onto the braid then about 500mm of heavier bite leader from the swivel to jighead. Using spinning reels its great it kills line twist dead no more running out line trying to get rid of it.

Been using Ten Mouth NT Power Swivels Size 8 from Gofish but anything of similar small size should do the trick if you wanna give it a whirl. 

I have seen a few comments on the site over the years that swivels kill softbait presentation. Well I am calling that a myth now and will keep experimenting. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah it is a bit of a myth IMO. Just like using braid I guess. I've caught fish on softies using mono. There's no doubt braid is better though. I've been using little swivel thingies to attach lures to, they work well too
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:54am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what would be the average head weight for fishing the gulf?going to give s/b a real go this year and take no bait, with out getting to carried away with different colours,what would be the normal colour range and which brand would you recommend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:41am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Start half ounce in size 1/0 or 2/0 jighead will do anything 5m to 30m and start with and ZMan bruised banana and new penny would be a starting point. If you do it now that is, before the fish actually start spawning because they can get very fussy.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I started with using lefties, then those stainless clips, then went to the mustards curly ones.
 Never had issues with braid twisting..
 But if put on a stray line, even with swivel, and bait not tidy, would twist up the braid..
Found lefties knot generally got best results.
 Lost a couple good fish (and not so good) using the stainless clips.  Couple issues, the trace eye not fully closed, and or aligned, either trace slipped off or cut on the sharp end bit on the eye.
 The mustard, good but found lefties easier to handle.
 Then a few months back in smart marine they had the stainless clips with swivels on, good eyes, better made (with swivel IF a sharp edge doesn't matter)
These work very well.

As to go to weight...rod pre setup with a 5/8 3/0 ...Z man similar in size to what sort of bait fish should be out there,  while travelling from the ramp, be it 5m or 25m  or casting into a boil up, or drag out the back.. its ready to go at an instant.
over 25/30m tend to go lure...
 In most cases have pre set up jigs 3/8 and 1/2 that can change to if not in a hurry to get line over, set up on a drift etc.

Always used 3/0.. some reason never even thought about going smaller...
 Now run 30lb trace, starts rod 1/2 length... lot of out fishing is in reefs.. lost few too many fish and gear ...

ppl say soft baiting no smelly bait.. damn that gulp and pastes in tubes  stink.. we fish both..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Muppet,sunday hopefully
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

One issue with a swivel is it can tangle up, it's also an extra knot
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:51pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never tangled yet smudge they are tiny ones. The knots on the swivel are my best ones no breaks yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:18pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Paul, and if you try the gulp series the best are; new penny, lime tiger, orange tiger and nuclear chicken.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

...& pink shine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:39pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And sapphire shine. Just not necessary really, it makes sense with Muppets bite leader idea but still think simple is the key.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah and nah mate. Stole the idea sort of off Limitless but he used the snap link swivel where as I just gone swivel. 

My braid gets super twisted up too. Its all the fish I catch LOL It was so bad it was slowing me down when unhooking fish as my leader wrapped around my rod so much it would not slack off with the bail open. No trouble since with the swivel. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:55pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs Muppet but if I had line twist problems, I'd be looking carefully at the bail arm roller bearing to be sure it was turning.
Also, would be giving me a stiff uppercut for winding while the line was being pulled out.LOL
Only other thing I can think of that would cause those problems would be  spinning baits ( fast current) or line incorrectly wound on the spool from new.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:55pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Used to have that problem but don't wind my leader up as far anymore so the leader doesnt go into the rod at all so no leader twist around the rod I also cut I decent length of braid off after each trip. But it's the old whatever works for you and have no doubt that it takes some of that twist out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:59pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been skull dragging Muppet? 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:14pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use these 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:21pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing to get knickers in a twist about! Swivels are fine if you want to use them. Personally, I don't think they are necessary for soft baiting if the soft bait is mounted correctly and doesn't spin. Also, a swivel is another two knots in the system, unless it is incorporated in to some sort of quick clip at the end of the leader. As for bite leader, I use 15 or 20lb fluorocarbon which is fine for the mighty Northland. If and when the odd fish bites me off, I can live wth that. Each to their own though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:34pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs Muppet but if I had line twist problems, I'd be looking carefully at the bail arm roller bearing to be sure it was turning.
Also, would be giving me a stiff uppercut for winding while the line was being pulled out.LOL
Only other thing I can think of that would cause those problems would be  spinning baits ( fast current) or line incorrectly wound on the spool from new.

Uncle if line twists on a less than year old Branzino and three month old Twinpower roller I would be seriously worried. 

Read my post again I know how to fish when a drag is going I let the fish run no worries. I should add I kayak fish and line angles change far more dramatically as you get spun around by fish I have no doubt it causes more twist.

My softbait I assure you are presented perfectly straight its not cast or dropped unless it is that way.

Come up here for a paddle, I think I should show you eh. Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Nothing to get knickers in a twist about! Swivels are fine if you want to use them. Personally, I don't think they are necessary for soft baiting if the soft bait is mounted correctly and doesn't spin. Also, a swivel is another two knots in the system, unless it is incorporated in to some sort of quick clip at the end of the leader. As for bite leader, I use 15 or 20lb fluorocarbon which is fine for the mighty Northland. If and when the odd fish bites me off, I can live wth that. Each to their own though. 

No they are not necessary fished for years without them. Just adapted some ideas I read about just sharing my experience. Do what you will! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't believe folks actually think I don't know how to put a softbait on a hook LOLLOL

Deary me. 
Page  12>