Softbaiting with Swivels

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:44pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

haha, like I said, not trying to teach you.
But, if line twist is happening, there's got to be a reason...
I'm using much lesser reels than yours, with mainly 4lb Fireline & some of it is a few years old.
I try to fish at least once a week & has been a long time since I had probs with line twist.
Maybe you better paddle your yak to Tauranga & I can show youLOL

Is a good thread, interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:48pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL 

Quite funny Uncle I thought I had no trouble with line twist until my mate pointed it out on my reel. 
It is definetly not a bad softbait presentation or line roller or skull dragging! 

Either way a swivel fixed it and no change in catching fish, that is all i am saying Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting thread.
I use 8lb braid with 15lb fluro, never use a swivel as I like to run enough leader so that the knot is on the spool when I go to cast.
Never noticed any kind of line twist, possible just not observant enough.
I have however started using these MA020-BN.
Ran into lots of problems with lefties loops failing where the jig head sits like a hinge on the knot. I know, I know re-tie more regularly.
Tried a few different clips none of which I was happy with until I ended up with the mustad ones.
No appreciable reduction in bites, added advantage of a swivel & extra protection for the trace (I found chomp marks on them more than once)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:34pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Start half ounce in size 1/0 or 2/0 jighead will do anything 5m to 30m and start with and ZMan bruised banana and new penny would be a starting point. If you do it now that is, before the fish actually start spawning because they can get very fussy.  
Well "Muppet" went in to top catch and told the fella what i want via you so now have  heads and new penny (gulp) 5 pack as a trial. Now theres a bl@@dy gale warning out Grr
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:42pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder if the twisted line issue is more due to spinning reel use, cast retrieve, cast retrieve.

I mainly use spinning reels and a small black swivel so don't have probs with line twist and when I use overhead reels I have never noticed the problem either. Maybe check the hook isn't slightly bent or out of shape which maybe cause the lure to spin when its retrieved...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:01pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Onya pjc good luck.

Yes it is spinning reels Al. I do a LOT of casting, way more than the average softbait fisho LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jojonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:28pm
jojonz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That Branzino is causing the line twist Muppet.
The spool is just too wide!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yes I am also useless I do a LOT of casting, way more than the average softbait fisho LOL

So precious... LOLLOLHug
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al tosser LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jojonz jojonz wrote:

No mate, much worse on the Twinpower and I can't believe I said that. 

I put new braid on the Branzino and in 5 trips with the swivel zero twist awesome. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:30am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

Interesting thread.
I use 8lb braid with 15lb fluro, never use a swivel as I like to run enough leader so that the knot is on the spool when I go to cast.

No appreciable reduction in bites, added advantage of a swivel & extra protection for the trace (I found chomp marks on them more than once)

x2 I used to use Genie clips (but didn't like them) because too lazy to keep retying Lefty's Loops - now use these and mighty impressed.

Have never had the same line twist or memory issues I used to have with mono by using braid.

What braid are you using. I still use Fireline on my spinning reels - I prefer the "stiffer" nature of the fused braids on my spinning reels and would never ever use on my baitcaster. Similarly use Sufix 832 on my baicasters and would never use on my spinning reels ...
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 4:01pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jojonz jojonz wrote:

Your a bad man Dave phishing like that LOL

And no it does not get you a cheap Branzino Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:39pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well, the line twist issue is one of the many reasons I settled on overhead reels for soft bait fishing years ago.

But then, I don’t use swivels in straylining, either, and still don’t have line twist occurring, even with whole fish baits swirling around in current (using braid, that is).

Keeping it simple...
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

Interesting thread.

x2 I used to use Genie clips (but didn't like them) because too lazy to keep retying Lefty's Loops - now use these and mighty impressed.

Have never had the same line twist or memory issues I used to have with mono by using braid.

What braid are you using. I still use Fireline on my spinning reels - I prefer the "stiffer" nature of the fused braids on my spinning reels and would never ever use on my baitcaster. Similarly use Sufix 832 on my baicasters and would never use on my spinning reels ...

I use 832 on my spin reels, no line twist problems. I do like those swivels though. I've just started using them as it makes it easy to change jigs
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont get line twist on soft baits.. they dont tend to spin... unless one winds when the fish is pulling...
Stray lining, essential to have tidy baits so dont spin or turn like a propeller.
A spinning bait lure is quickly picked up with a trace thats twisted... it it is  even with swivels , eventually the braid will be twisted.
 Very hard to pick up twisted briad.. it takes a lot to eventually have it self twist when slack.. a hell of a lot.
If one looks very close , and at the same time look at untwisted, you will notice it.
 If one pulls off 30/ 40m out into the back yard. goes back to the rod, and hold the braid tight between thumb and fore finger, then drag your fingers down the braid, with slack in front, if twisted will twist in front of your fingers after 10 or 20m  if not much there.
 Simplest way to get it out.. battery drill at the end, fast speed for 2 to 4 mins.. yep thats a lot.... Takes lot of twist in braid before have issues.
I recon air knots are caused by badly twisted braid...the only time have had a air knot is when twisted.

So if you think your braid is not twisted... actually find out, you maybe very surprised... big difference between "think" and knowing.

Page  <12