Loon UV or....?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loon UV or....?
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 10:40am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi folks,

I'm after some advice on a good general UV finish epoxy style material - something that finishes hard on the fly head, not flexible.

Loon UV Clear seems to be popular. Any rivals?

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 10:57am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've always used this stuff, but mainly because the NZ available alternatives when I bought it were silly money.  They have probably got cheaper now.  But it works well and lasts for ages so I'm still using it.  I see that the US supplier on trademe sells the loon stuff, they are usually pretty good value.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:43am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 11:48am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that, really appreciate the input.

Do you use the thin? Requires less curing?
I've seen some reviews of the thicker Loon saying it sometimes stays tacky because it's harder to cure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Uncle, good to know. It's amazing what you can find on that site if you have the patience to look.
Without first hand info from someone like you, I'd never have the confidence to buy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:03pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

It's not as good as Loon stuff but a lot more in the bottle for a lot less price.
I find it takes a while to fully set but that's ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing a bit of good ol BOP sunshine won't fix, I'm sure!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:45am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

get the loon stuff i told you about mate...thats what is primary role is.....you can chuck it on your knots too(to good effect).......the uv knot sense.......you still didnt get any did you?.........if you cant find......i probably can track it down for you bro.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

hi mate, I did, actually. After a bit of a debacle with the mail order place down south on the first attempt.
I didn't realise it was similar to fly tying UV resin. I guess it's good marketing on Loon's behalf.
But i'm going to try a couple of the other products mentioned above as well - I'm planning on tying up a few salt water skutes and smelt flies for jigging at the Rotorua lakes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 9:16pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know that UV knot sense is for tying flies and covering up knots.......I will have a sniff over here........if i find some......there is your xmas present out the way ......hahahaha
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HareNcopA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:17pm
HareNcopA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Loon UV is terrible, as is the price.

Can be landed here for about $40 - 4 times as much glue as a tube of Loon 
Behind every good fisherman is a lonely woman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:48pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt