PB at the Motuora Classic 2017 - Nov 4-5th

Post Options Post Options   Likes (11) Likes(11)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PB at the Motuora Classic 2017 - Nov 4-5th
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This years comp was fished out from the Mullet Point area in the Hauraki Gulf on Saturday and Sunday. I hooked up the FC390 and chugged out to Kawau with my mate G keeping an eye out for birds.
  By 8.00am it was raining gannets close in with the thick schools of kahawai jumping on the boat. We kept the first 6 for Bon fire Bob to smoke up, the 7th we put out on a balloon, and the 8th kept for bait.
  By 9.00am we had no luck on the livey so we pulled anchor and went for a soft bait drift returning a few pannies for the nights feast. Saphire Shines and Bruised bananas working best...
  By 10.00 the wind kicked up so we tucked in close to some kelpy rocks and anchored. I bought some strayline rigs for $2 at the $2 Shop in Silverdale last week for a laugh when I took the kids costume shopping for Halloween.
 So I sheepishly hooked the $2 pre-tied strayline rig on my shimano bait runner and sent a big slab of fresh kahawai down into the kelpy wash.
 My rod doubled over with no head shakes..."Bugger, Im snagged" so I start yanking in every direction to try and loosen the snag but then I got 2 massive rod nods in return!
 "G! I think I got a donkey on.." At that point all my faith was on the "Jiggle Lure" as the packet suggested..
 Got the fish up to the surface, and its head popped out about 5 mtrs from the boat. It awoke at the boat as we frantically danced around the tinnie to try and net the beast. "Net the bloody thing!" I said.
"Just take your time bro!" was G's reply...
He finally gave up the fight and as G went to net the fish the handle broke due to its weight and size. The fish had one more chance at freedom, but G had to ditch the handle and scoop him in like he was panning for gold...
Its a stonker... 20.8 and Im finally in the Club! A few pics and a kiss, and dropped him back to his reef to live on.
Awesome weekend with some good mates, the FC390 and a dance with a 20 pounder on a $2 lure.
Back to the bach via Challenger to grab some mussels and a catch up with the other lads for a feast. Stoked.

Save
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grovo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:15pm
Grovo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cool man! Wicked to see some of these big fish going back.
Good report too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Miyagi sir Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:43pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome fish. Great story. Did the fish say "where's Muppet today?" when it came up?

i think I might have seen you in at FC Albany picking up or dropping off your 390 for its service, with your little lass a couple of weeks ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:23am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome fish and great report, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:05pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks fellas! I'm still stokin on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:16pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Congrats Mr Miyagi Thumbs Up  why do the big fish always take the most unlikely rod or jigLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:29pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great read and photo's MR.M. Congrats on P.B. Liked.........Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done Miyagi-SanClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 4:04pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish dude! 

We were in the white Surtees C.C. about 50 metres further inshore from y'all. We got a nice fish about 5 kilo in there as well on a softy.

All the moochers out and cleaning up after the gannets aye.

Good on ya for letting him go, we sent ours back too. 
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey TZilla,
Was that you with the minn Cota motor on the front fly fishin?
I saw ya net that big snap moments before I netted mine... was a very active few hours out there!
Onya..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done Mr Miyagi! Have used jiggle lures on gurnard, very effective. That's a great post!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 8:34pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MR MIYAGI MR MIYAGI wrote:

Hey TZilla,
Was that you with the minn Cota motor on the front fly fishin?
I saw ya net that big snap moments before I netted mine... was a very active few hours out there!
Onya..

Yep that was us. Far out such an epic session aye!

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!