Big Snaps On Dusk! Mokau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Snaps On Dusk! Mokau
    Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:09am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, A days gone by since my last post and I'm at it againLOL Between Jase(Fishwhisperer) and myself we account for alot of the posts on here. Although we haven't met our passion for fishing are similar. Imagine if we do meet, be one hell of a lot of fish'nTalkWinkSpent the day tidying up section in preparation for family wedding next weekend. Came 4pm the sea went glassy and was Flat. Thats it said to Heids I'm going! By 4.45pm had all me lines out, favourite spot, Perfect conditionsBig smile November is the Best time to target a Big Snap if you haven't and would like to  catch one out West. They come in close to Spawn. I have caught all my Whoppers around this time over the Years. The only advice i could give is try in close, you might be supprised. Was fishing in fifteen metres tonight. Had some huge fresh Couta and Kahawai Baits out, fresh from day before. First hour nothing then around 6pm a Sreamer of a run, the fish dropped it then hit it again. I was ready, put the Breaks on, Hooked Up! Ten Minutes later netted an 11 odd Kg Snap. 7pm huge run again, didn't stop, patiently let E'm have it! Hooked up short time later second nice Snap on board 9-10 kgs. All quiet next half hour, quick zoom back in before it started getting to dark. The bigger one Smoking again for Wedding, the other for the Guy who does my Smoking. Our deal is He smokes two and gets one for himself and friends to share, i get the other. Been doing it that way for a few years and have yet to taste a better Smoked Snap! A few Photo's- The fish lying on bin in boat, me back on beach. Cheers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:18am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome Geoff.

That sea really turned to an absolute beauty last night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vr4king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:15am
vr4king View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

WOW again.....Ill PM you when I'm ready hahahahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:36am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

NIce fishing as always Geoff.

Glad to hear you kept a couple, they should feed a few families that's for sure.
By the amount you normally release i suspect you have caught the same one more than once. Have you ever thought about tagging released fish.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Glad to hear you kept a couple, they should feed a few families that's for sure.
By the amount you normally release i suspect you have caught the same one more than once. Have you ever thought about tagging released fish.

Interesting Thought CrayZfish! Wot would i put on Tag any Ideas? where Do you go or enquire about them? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:22pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Interesting Thought CrayZfish! Wot would i put on Tag any Ideas? where Do you go or enquire about them? 

I have no idea sorry, maybe someone else can help out??
It would be an awesome research project with real results, especially as you have mentioned about the big Mokau tails. Do these fish migrate anywhere else etc...
The shear number of big ones you catch and release i am sure there are opportunities for some learnings about our most popular and normally illusive 20lber.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:31pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome report that is a fantastic area you fish. Hard to beat the West coast.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice fish Geoff - yes it's been a long time coming for a meet up and we talk about it each year Smile - I will make it down there for a fish with you one day Big smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:06pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Speechless............................................ Both those beat my PB. Not at all bad for one evening. 
Geoff PM legasea on here. John will point you to some tags. Great idea. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:47pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just put "Geoff" on the tag
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:01am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Speechless............................................ Both those beat my PB. Not at all bad for one evening. 
Geoff PM legasea on here. John will point you to some tags. Great idea. 
Cheers Krow! I'm well aware alot of the Snaps i catch regularly would be PB's and goals for alot of anglers on the Forum. Thats why I do my best encouraging others here to have a crack at one. The 20 lb benchmark being a big Trophy Snap in NZ are easily achievable if one is prepared and keen enough to travel to areas like Mokau and most Westcoast Spots, especially this time of year. Will look into the tags from legasea, the more i think about it, its a great idea. Wot if someone catches one i release? be like  finding a needle in a haystack? Might have to get some T. Shirts printed in case as give aways LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:05pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You might be surprised. Snapper live a long time (some +50 years) if they are left to do so. Plenty of time to be caught again. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:06pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe we should all get into the act. I would buy some. Let me know how you get on and what tags are available.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John'o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 10:42pm
John'o View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well done Geoff.
Here in the Bay of Plenty we would taxidermy the size you guy's Catch & hang them on a wall.
John'o.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:31am
Titanium
Titanium

BeerJono! Thanks for Reply, Must be hundreds maybe thousands of boats that fish the Bay, reducing the odds of catching a Big Snap. Would also get one Taxidermed if i lived there and caught one......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:58pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Geoff.
Must be about time we caught up again.
Had a tough time in the Taranaki open and need to get the mojo back.
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.