Another Epic Far North Trip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Epic Far North Trip
    Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Fun times fishing the North

With the long weekend upon us Stevo and I decided it was time to head North to chase a few fish, I try to fish the North for 5-6days twice a year and over that time we probably average 3-4hrs sleep a night if where lucky. For me it's my passion so it's normal to be fishing before light until a couple hours after dark, it can be a mixture of soft baiting, micro jigging, stray lining, jigging for Kings, surf casting or even just a few hours down the wharf.

Oct we like to chase Snapper in the shallows and try a bit of a jig for a king or two, the other is trying to track down a few reef fish to add into the mix. Lately I have started searching new ground and trying different areas - my new Osprey 550 has allowed me to travel further a field knowing if it gets up a little weather wise I'm pretty safe.

Arriving at the Top Ten we settled in and made a plan of places we wanted to head to and fish we wanted to target - Big Snapper were top of the list for Stevo as usual being in the North, Pea and I had a great Feb trip with some nice fish to about 25lb and lots of double fig fish so the plan was to see if we could follow on from that. We headed off at first light and with the weather looking it's best on our first day we decided to head up the coast for a bit of a look and fish along the way, I haven't fished this area much and will be fishing it a lot more when I get the chance.

We stopped off one of the beaches and started with a drift flicking soft baits, Stevo was first to hook up to a nice fish and it looked like our very first fish was going to be that magic 20lb. As the fight went on the it was looking more like a little King and sure enough up popped a little rat, it was still great fun even if it wasn't that big red Stevo thought it was.

I caught a couple of nice fish on soft bait but it was pretty hard going so after an hour of just a couple of fish coming aboard we decided to change tactis and anchored up for a big burly stray line sesh - The fish came on the bight pretty quick and Stevo got him self a few nice little Reds - nothing big but it was pretty consistent. It was a great start in the North and decided to call it a day just before dark.

Over the following couple days we covered a lot of ground more for trying new places, we even got to jig for a few Kings before the wind got up and made it a bit difficult staying on the pin. We boated a couple of nice fish around the 15-18kilo mark and Kings is one thing I do love to chase. I also caught a couple nice fish stray lining in 10mtrs of water with the biggest roughly around 18lb - we couldn't find the big fish but even 18lbs is a nice fish.

We did one day of fishing for reef fish as my mate Pea couldn't make the trip and he loves Parrot and Pig fish, we anchored up on a nice patch and we caught al sorts. Blue Cod, Parrot, Pig fish, Grandaddy's it was great fun catching different species that was until the Snapper caught wind of our burly then we couldn't get through them.

It was another great trip done and dusted and we both thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm hoping to be back chasing Kings in Feb

Tight lines

REEL KIWI Fishing Fish Whisperer #lovemyfishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:34pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

mean bro. slayed it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 2:44pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice Jase, you stay at Whatawhiwhi top 10?

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wicked Jase what was the heaviest SnapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 4:38am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Epic' Jase, like the Sunset Shot, Nice Fish'nBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:38pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ClapGreat weekend. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:43pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Nice Jase, you stay at Whatawhiwhi top 10?

Yip Stayed at the Top 10 - prob our 15th year, do 2 trips each year over 5-6 days (hard out fishing from first to last light)....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:45pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Wicked Jase what was the heaviest SnapClap
Biggest went about 18lb - couldn't find the big boys but gave it a shot off Houhora for a day but no joy...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:46pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Epic' Jase, like the Sunset Shot, Nice Fish'nBig smile
Cheers Geoff - yip prob like where you are - the North gets some magic sun rise/sets Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:47pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by home bouy home bouy wrote:

mean bro. slayed it
Cheers hb