P.B. Snap! Comp Roundup-Mokau....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.B. Snap! Comp Roundup-Mokau....
    Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 1:59pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, Had a full on three days-Fri,Sat,Sun on the Briney. Great fishing mate Mark Ashcroft-A.K (ramcoed) on Forum came down to Mokau From Hams Thursday night towing his big Ramco to Fish the Small Labour Weekend Comp, The Mokau Fishing Club puts on annually. We couldn't resist not fishing on Friday for a warmupBig smile as it was nice conditions. Familiar to my good Spots Mark pretty much heads to them when he comes down. So over the Bar the two of us went, easy crossing and anchored up a short time later! We fish same styles Big Fresh Strayline Baits out the back and Bait catching Sabiki's underneath. First two hours Quiet, with a few pesky Sharks only to show from the Straylines. Third hour action! a few small Snaps 3-4 kg's. A few more false alarms from some decent size Grey Sharks then one of Marks Rods showed the line heading towards anchor rope, no Drag as yet pulling but this is a sign of a Big Snap taking bait for a swim against current to inhale. And believe me only The big Snaps can do thisBig smile Frantically i wound in and moved rods around so Mark could get in line where the fish was heading. Then contact! Screaming Drag the call came its a big Snap. Big runs followed by retrieving line then off it would go again. Finally it came into netting range, looked big! Marks old Pb 10.4 kg's when i first felt weight said no worries, biggerWink We didn't hang round much after that, a few high fives and in we went to get it weighed. A beauty conditioned fish, came in at 11 kg's on the dot! very fat and 82 cm long. Job Done. On to the Comp, Saturday no go, Ugly Westerly Blowing Swell up no boats went out to fish although we had a look and straight back in againLOLSunday Wind had dropped, but Misty rain greeted the morning. Bar not bad. Only Half Dozen or so of the entered fleet went out. We were one of them. Biggish Swell running bit uncomfortable but fishable. We battled the elements for five hours before we caught two decent Snaps! Otherwise we had bugger all to enter. I got a respectable 8.95 kg Snap and Marks 8.1. Thought they were good enough for a prize or two!Mine held on for second and Marks Third. Only top Three for each species won prizes, so we were Rapt. Top Snap Went to Duane, another Forum Member A.K. (Sink) With a 9.4 kg Beauty! Few Photo's- Myself and Mark with our 2nd and 3rd placed Snaps in the Hotel Carpark after weighing. Mark with his new P.B! and the fish on Measure. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:37pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done, nice fishThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work again Geoff, it just seems to get better and better!! I'm passing through Mokau Wednesday late arvo if you would like to catch up for a drink and meet another forum member? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 5:26pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beauty fish Geoff!   wondered if you got out but thought it was a bit rough for the little Mac from forecasts.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Amazing! Great stuff!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:34pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The biggies just keep coming. 
Its only a matter of time before you pull in a 15kg model.

Chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by churbay churbay wrote:

The biggies just keep coming. 
Its only a matter of time before you pull in a 15kg model.

Chur
Beer churbay, have one 15kg model to me name already, my goal a 16 plus. They are there for sure off here, one day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work guys, I was thinking Friday may have had a small window for the Mac to get out. I feel a PB is on the cards for my next trip to Mokau.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:36pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Geoff and Ramcoed. You put in the hours mate and it certainly pays off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Good work guys, I was thinking Friday may have had a small window for the Mac to get out. I feel a PB is on the cards for my next trip to Mokau.
Thanks for reply Craig. Had a quick peek at beach at daybreak on Friday, To big plus waves close together, not good for a launch. Was great getting out with a good mate, fishing on his boat, his terms! nailing the P.B. Will be pulling out all StopsBig smile  on your next trip here for your first 20 lb plus Craig. Cheers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:40pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome again Geoff. Congrats. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 6:14am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

Nice work Geoff and Ramcoed. You put in the hours mate and it certainly pays off
Thanks Salty! Tests your patients alright 4-5 hours with out a decent Snap, but thats normal for us. Other boats that park up near me on my spots are usually gone after an hour if the Snaps haven't arrived. Payed off again though, pleased.....