Tld25 casting distance???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tld25 casting distance???
    Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 10:21pm
WaiapuKahawai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

KiaOra guys
I'm thinking of buying another surfcasting combo but fish both rock and sand and currently do not have a kingi set up as I've never really chased them but Wouldn't mind having ago every now and then.

I'm after some advice on the tld25/backbone Elite LBG combo...Can I get good distance if casting from the beach as I'd like to use this set up for slide baiting ?? Was thinking of using 40lb mono for both beach and rocks...Is this Line heavy enough for off the rocks aswell??

I currently have a 12ft(20kg)Penn prevail+Daiwa bg8000. The other option was to buy a NanoMatrix 14+Shimano SpeedCast 14000 for surfcasting and turn my current setup into my Rock/SlideBait for livies to target kings ect???

Advice would be hugely appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 1:38am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Waiapu,

40lb mono off the rocks ain't going to cut it especially if targeting kingfish of larger size.

Does the backbone elite come in overhead to suit yr choice of reel?

Your current setup be ok..the reel in particular is capable. You may want a heavier rod though. ?The backbone elite range like you said.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:28am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 2 cents worth.......firstly .....40 pound line is not that bad.good for fish up to 30-40 pound..plus you are more likely to get hits when using lighter line.......if there is heaps of fowl in the area that you fish......it might be a bad idea mind.....I used that on my TLD 20(off the rocks) because it has a smaller size spool but with pretty much the same drag capacity......the TLD 25 has been used for years for live baiting for kings.....8kg drag at strike and  24kg mono is ideal for kings on that reel.......suffix synergy is thin for its breaking strain and you can get high breaking strain suffix on there....its low stretch.....
As for casting a TD25 ? all i can say is = SOD THATLOL....Couldnt think of a more horrible reel to cast.....id be using this reel with the backbone elite as your live bait set up for the bricks only......on the beach ...you will be fishing over sand with no structure......so lighter line and trace could be used........you wouldnt be needing 40 pound line off the beach bro.....go lighter and get more distance.....slide bait off the beach.kingies quite often prowl the shallows and chase the yellow eyed mullet.
With 40 pound line or 15 kg mainline on your tld 25....you will need to be careful where you fish for rocky structure.....Good luck.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:28am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As an aside a lot of slide baiting is done Hawaii using larger star drag overheads for ula/giant trevally. Casting heavy line on reels like penn senators with 24 kg main lines from the rocks. Not really practised here to same degree, given possibly different bottom structure more kelp here and most live baiting from rocks using suspended baits from balloons.
With leverdrags now dominating game reels there are less castable larger overhead reels now also improvement in large spin reels. I used to land base with a 4/0 senator. Was quite castable then went to TLD 25 less castable but much better drag... bit of a trade off really. If still landbasing a lot for kings.. I would like to try one of the larger saltist overhead reels from Diawa. They look very castable and to have reasonable drag, probably not quite up to lever drag but given guys jig with them still big improvement on your older senators and sea lines in smaller sizes. Could spool with 40 to fine diameter 50 lb. Stren make a nice fine diameter 50 lb line as do Berkeley.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:06am
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:09am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by jac23 jac23 wrote:

Hi Waiapu,

40lb mono off the rocks ain't going to cut it especially if targeting kingfish of larger size.

Does the backbone elite come in overhead to suit yr choice of reel?

Your current setup be ok..the reel in particular is capable. You may want a heavier rod though. ?The backbone elite range like you said.

Yep the line is light was thinking light for casting purposes but doesn't sound like it casts that well. May just keep my current set up an continue to use as surfcasters and get tld and be combo with 50lb line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:53am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Waiapu,

I can't say I know much about slide baiting but it is a technique I'd like to try out.
Can definitely see the benefits of longer rod and lighter mono line for this. I use term 'lighter' loosely as have seen on many occasions what landbased kingies with full head of steam up will do to even the heaviest of gear.
Do you need great casting distance particularly if yr on a rock ledge?
50lb be better option around rocks, again I'm no expert.
Some other doods may be able to help out.
Like Shaneg said those Hawaiian guys are right into their slidebaits for their Giant Trevally.

All the best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The TLD's are great value for money but they aren't casting reels.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

My 2 cents worth.......firstly .....40 pound line is not that bad.good for fish up to 30-40 pound..plus you are more likely to get hits when using lighter line.......if there is heaps of fowl in the area that you fish......it might be a bad idea mind.....I used that on my TLD 20(off the rocks) because it has a smaller size spool but with pretty much the same drag capacity......the TLD 25 has been used for years for live baiting for kings.....8kg drag at strike and  24kg mono is ideal for kings on that reel.......suffix synergy is thin for its breaking strain and you can get high breaking strain suffix on there....its low stretch.....
As for casting a TD25 ? all i can say is = SOD THATLOL....Couldnt think of a more horrible reel to cast.....id be using this reel with the backbone elite as your live bait set up for the bricks only......on the beach ...you will be fishing over sand with no structure......so lighter line and trace could be used........you wouldnt be needing 40 pound line off the beach bro.....go lighter and get more distance.....slide bait off the beach.kingies quite often prowl the shallows and chase the yellow eyed mullet.
With 40 pound line or 15 kg mainline on your tld 25....you will need to be careful where you fish for rocky structure.....Good luck.

Yep il stick to the tld25+bbe combo I like slide baiting and forgot I could still Chuck a balloon on and livie up of the beach aswelllol. I'm from the east cape fish lottin all the time mainly for snapper and for years I've seen monster kings hit our burley trail an didn't really bother until now. Cheers for your advice laidbackdood
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by jac23 jac23 wrote:

Hey Waiapu,

I can't say I know much about slide baiting but it is a technique I'd like to try out.
Can definitely see the benefits of longer rod and lighter mono line for this. I use term 'lighter' loosely as have seen on many occasions what landbased kingies with full head of steam up will do to even the heaviest of gear.
Do you need great casting distance particularly if yr on a rock ledge?
50lb be better option around rocks, again I'm no expert.
Some other doods may be able to help out.
Like Shaneg said those Hawaiian guys are right into their slidebaits for their Giant Trevally.

All the best

Yep well known Hawaiian method of fishing I missed a massive snapper off our local beach using this method and got burnt by a huge shark couple weeks ago I like it. But looks like I'll just use balloons an send out livies for both beach and rocks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WaiapuKahawai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Yes il get the tld25+ben combo I've
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 7:33pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I cast a TLD 30 2 speed on a 7 foot and a 9 foot rod off the bricks, can cast a ky approx 20 meters, I have tried to cast on the feild using 6-8 oz leads , what a waste of time , the load required to cast 40 lb mono and a 8 oz lead was just silly( to cast a 5 oz lead on a 14 foot rod takes approx 25-28 kg of force to load the rod and send the lead dragging the line and leader) . you would be better off with a  12-14 foot 200+ gram rod and a 4/0 reel( Penn or Newell) , you need to get a good grip on the spool so would suggest a thumby or bike tube to grip down hard or you will get slippage which = birdsnest
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:10am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by scuzzymoto scuzzymoto wrote:

I cast a TLD 30 2 speed on a 7 foot and a 9 foot rod off the bricks, can cast a ky approx 20 meters, I have tried to cast on the feild using 6-8 oz leads , what a waste of time , the load required to cast 40 lb mono and a 8 oz lead was just silly( to cast a 5 oz lead on a 14 foot rod takes approx 25-28 kg of force to load the rod and send the lead dragging the line and leader) . you would be better off with a  12-14 foot 200+ gram rod and a 4/0 reel( Penn or Newell) , you need to get a good grip on the spool so would suggest a thumby or bike tube to grip down hard or you will get slippage which = birdsnest
That sounds Horrific bro but good on you for giving it a go !
I tried once with my Tld 25 years ago.......never again.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.