Ballast Bags

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballast Bags
    Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 1:48am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just ordered a ballast bag off amazon as I'm tired of having to sit in the centre of my boat when out solo.
I didn't want trim tabs as weight is what I prefer in my lightweight tinny.
I can move this around the boat to wherever I need the weight.
This one is only 155lbs but I'll see how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:39am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be interested to know how robust it is - could a hook easily puncture it?

I tend to have fuel and gear on one side me on the other but it is never quite enough...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:47am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I intend to put it in front of the passenger seat where I never would go anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:48am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cost?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:53am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty sure it $119 US
Free shipping to San Diego (my cousins) I have to pic it up from there.
I don't plan on being up there until March for my annual Nascar pilgrimage,
I work for a company that flies and has our countries name on the brand. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:07am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Measurement is 16 x 16 x 16 inches.
They come in all different shapes and sizes. This is the smallest I could find.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 1:58pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A couple of bags of sand would do the trick too at a lot less cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:35pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats a pretty hefty weight for a bag that size. what is it lead shot?  

just did a google search... so its an empty bag and you fill it with your choice of ballast. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 3:07pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Watching with interest.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 4:12pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kiwifred kiwifred wrote:

thats a pretty hefty weight for a bag that size. what is it lead shot?  

just did a google search... so its an empty bag and you fill it with your choice of ballast. 
They are filled with water I believe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Definitely water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 4:55pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm 16x16x16 inches = 67kg of water.

Have got a 23 litre water container = 23 kg of water 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 5:03pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Hmm 16x16x16 inches = 67kg of water.

Have got a 23 litre water container = 23 kg of water 
Looks like I'm gonna have to fly up and get this darn thing! Lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 5:15pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

16x16x16 equals 4096 cu inches of water equals 147.98 lb
Plus the bag curves. So I think 155 must be right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A bag that you fill with water as ballast, costing $119 US. Wow!

Why would anyone pay that much for a bag????

Far cheaper alternatives - a sack of sand, sack of lime (that's as heavy as cement), a chunk of concrete.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 10:48pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

A bag that you fill with water as ballast, costing $119 US. Wow!

Why would anyone pay that much for a bag????

Far cheaper alternatives - a sack of sand, sack of lime (that's as heavy as cement), a chunk of concrete.
Seriously?
When you empty the bag it weighs like 4lb.
If you don't see the benefit over lugging sacks of sand around, or chunks of concrete...... I really don't know what to say.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sry trying to get my head around this.
1 bag 66kg
 Thats a lot to move around if need be, le alone lifting in and out of the boat.
Or filling up.. in the boat.. if hose near by.
Then MT it.. lift out or into the bottom of the boat...

Or if too heavy, to be able to MT 10 L or so over he side of the boat without trying to man handle that weight (+ your weight) over the side (cant see moving easy to bow or stern) is going to put the side of the boat very close to the water line.

Just dont see the practical side of this.

Alternative say 7x 10 kg bags of  wet sand. Easy to move around to get weight distribution right, far less bulky, or if too much , dump over the side of the boat.

Mention made of not wanting trim tabs...
I understand that...
A thought thu.. only to be used on solo trips right?
Why not a removable single fixed tab...initially adjustable to get set right?
 Dumping more weight in the boat  uses far more of the HP of the engine.. economy, rpms/ speed than a trim tab.
 A old trim tab from a stuffed set, out of the local service center recycle bin/ back of shelf .. swap the mechanism that adjusts it for an adjustable double threaded stay... or turn buckle think they are called...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:59pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps I intend to fill in the boat prior to heading out. I may buy a ballast pump to throw into the sea and fill in the future (and to empty) to save hauling extra weight to the ramp.
To drain I plan to just open the valve in the boat and turn on my bilge pump as I near the ramp.
Again I do not want trim tabs as it is WEIGHT that I want as stated in the original post.
I have a McLay 460. I love it. But it is very light and the 2 times I've had 4 people in it the ride was dramatically different.
So Weight made ALL the difference. This bag is only 155lbs but I wouldn't rule out buying another. The cost....I spend that much monthly on SKY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ballast pump excellent idea...
Drain.. its only the weight of a small female person.. just drain it into the bilge, open bungs at the ramp let drain out from there instead of messing around on your own on the way in...

M8 has a little larger mclay.. has similar issue when chops up.. bow tends to rise over very easy rather than thru. Stores every thing he can on several bags of sand up at the bow.
 Havnt any data on smaller mclays.. are they very light for their size? or is it the angle of the bow?
The big thing that makes a huge difference is how well powered it is.. min or under powered for the total gross weight on the water... and/ or a prop that lacks grip...
At a guess would be.. 1 person up +gear  600/650 kg?
Well powered for that would be around the 65/70 hp
If min powered , thought of going to a 4 blade or bigger diam prop, more rake subject to data numbers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 11:51am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just got back from the US last week after my annual Nascar pilgrimage to Fontana.
But I bought the ballast bag home with me. It took 5 minutes to fill with the hose and less than that to drain out into the boat and out the bung.
I could sit comfortably in my seat alone in the boat without having to sit awkwardly in the certre of the boat.
Weather was calm but I know that riding two up in the chop helps.
So all in all very happy.

Page  12>