Jigs vs livebait

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigs vs livebait
    Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hit the alderman pins the the weekend with the hope of some kingfish.

Overconfident that jigs would do the damage we didn't catch any livebait to take.

We caught a barracuda on nearly every drop and it was so frustrating watch other boats right next to you catch kingfish after kingfish.

the livebaits were also getting nailed by the barracuda but were getting kingfish in between.

What's everyone's experience on Jig effectiveness vs livebait, do jigs ever outfish livies?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:58pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

yes!
Although both methods have their days.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:16pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Alderman pins have some of the most jig shy kings in the country. 3 x Epic Charter boats there daily, plus others. They always load up on livies 1st, and can do some big mileage to obtain them before hitting the pins, because the know how fickle it can be on jigs at times. That said they're reporting good catches on both lately. Cuda can be a curse right along the east coast coro, moving pins often the best cure when they're around

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’ve only fished those pins once and it was with the Epic lads. They told us not to bother with the jigs and we only fished livies. Up in our waters we fish both but probably more jigging due to the livebaits being a prick to catch at times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:10am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone ever livebaited a Coutta? I caught a maybe 80cm barry last summer and had a pack of solid kings follow it up, basically harassing it, kept it in the water to keep the kings fired up while my mate pitched them a dead mackerel which got instantly hammered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:45am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

^i like this idea
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:46am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Anyone ever livebaited a Coutta? I caught a maybe 80cm barry last summer and had a pack of solid kings follow it up, basically harassing it, kept it in the water to keep the kings fired up while my mate pitched them a dead mackerel which got instantly hammered.
kings often enquire hooked fish on the way up, reckon it's the panic signals the hooked fish is sending. No reason one wouldn't work for a livey but length may be an issue for any kingi considering swallowing it. It's well known to make great dead bait for puka, but I'm thinking livey for swords. I try not ponder the barstools to often, they can be a curse down here at times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 12:53pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

kings often enquire hooked fish on the way up, reckon it's the panic signals the hooked fish is sending. No reason one wouldn't work for a livey but length may be an issue for any kingi considering swallowing it. It's well known to make great dead bait for puka, but I'm thinking livey for swords. I try not ponder the barstools to often, they can be a curse down here at times

I'm gonna try it this summer. If I get a ~50cm barry it's going back with a circle hook attached.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:41pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Worth trying for sure, all the barracuda we caught were very big around the 1m mark.

A few even felt like we were finally into a small
Kingy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:31pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just keeping this conversation going...

A few years ago I caught a fair size cutta on a live bridle rigged kahawai, it was straylined about 60m back in mid water.
Anyway, when it came up it had three Kingies about 70lb following it up! Were they thinking of eating it I will never know.

I have caught baby baracutta in Fiordland and they were beaut baitfish!Clap

In my youth we did not see many 'cutta as they were a once a year fish in mid depths off shore and the reason why was because kahawai used to feed on them and it kept the numbers down, the comms took and reduced the kahawai later on and the baracutta numbers increased to what we have today!Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:09am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Just keeping this conversation going...

A few years ago I caught a fair size cutta on a live bridle rigged kahawai, it was straylined about 60m back in mid water.
Anyway, when it came up it had three Kingies about 70lb following it up! Were they thinking of eating it I will never know.

I have caught baby baracutta in Fiordland and they were beaut baitfish!Clap

In my youth we did not see many 'cutta as they were a once a year fish in mid depths off shore and the reason why was because kahawai used to feed on them and it kept the numbers down, the comms took and reduced the kahawai later on and the baracutta numbers increased to what we have today!Cry

I can remember in the mid 90's KY used to be in plague proportions......was hard to get a bait down to the snapper off the bricks........so that explains how couda evolved with the comm hammering all the KY........never see sharks show any interest in the couda on the way up either........they must taste disgusting to them too.........Live baits have been the go with Epic for a long long time.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Live baits have been the go with Epic for a long long time.

To be fair, depending on how hardcore the fishos on board are, it's hard to go wrong with a livey. Just sit and hold the rod and hang on... jigging is a very different ballgame.

As an example, my old man is in his early 60's and I can guarantee you he has no interest in mechanical jigging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I prefer Livey's these days. Still Jig but not for long, just in short bursts. Last time I jigged half a day, man! muscles I never knew I had ached for a few days LOL

Over Fish1 species, another thrives. Limit KY quota to half for comms... balance...

interesting thread....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 4:48am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

I prefer Livey's these days. Still Jig but not for long, just in short bursts. Last time I jigged half a day, man! muscles I never knew I had ached for a few days LOL

Over Fish1 species, another thrives. Limit KY quota to half for comms... balance...

interesting thread....

I remember jigging 500 gram jigs at ranfurly for 5 days John........felt like arnie by the time i got home ! LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 4:48pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Live baits have been the go with Epic for a long long time.

To be fair, depending on how hardcore the fishos on board are, it's hard to go wrong with a livey. Just sit and hold the rod and hang on... jigging is a very different ballgame.

As an example, my old man is in his early 60's and I can guarantee you he has no interest in mechanical jigging.

Some anglers prefer to "angle" for their fish and I'm probably one of them despite times when live baits are being hit.  
Early 60's is nothing, Mogi San is probably late 60's and he is still going strong.  
Slow Pitch jigging was developed as a less strenuous method to "angle" for fish. 
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:58pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kinda agree, i'd rather catch a few on jig or topwater lures vs 10 on livebait but that's just me. Still use livebaits at times though depending on situation, and i guess it's like everything, each to their own.
One of our group on my last overseas trip - topwater & jigging for GT's, dogtooth, YFT etc was 69 at the time i believe, still using PE8 popping & jigging rods, really cool to see tbh. If i'm still able to do it at that age i'll be pretty darn happy.

BTW Chris Just added a Jigstar Ninja 'light' Spin 100-300g to my collection today. So light weight compared to my 450g PE8 jig rod. Can't wait to give it some use in a few weeks on some kings, plus see how it stands up to some foreign critters come JanuaryThumbs Up