Anchor chain join?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor chain join?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:54pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi just wondering if anyone has used this type of link to join anchor chain?

How do you make the join do you simply hammer the rivets flat?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://crew.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic/13234-warning-sht-product/?hl=joiner

Have a read of this site before you make a decision,a lot of cr$p being sold from some well known chandeliers.   
Changed my thinking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:46am
BigMike View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had to join some chain. Used a small shackle and wired it closed so it couldn't undo itself. Sometimes it gets caught briefly when retrieving but a quick flick has it free and shouldn't break.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi just wondering if anyone has used this type of link to join anchor chain?
How do you make the join do you simply hammer the rivets flat?

Yep and Yep
Subject was covered in the forums a couple yrs back.
 Heed pjc warning also...
 Make sure they are rated.. usually , like trailer chain shackles and stuff, will have ratings stamped on them.
 If rated and made of correct alloys  wiring or cable ties is not required.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:10pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dunworking, is it an anchor chain that is used solely for fishing for an hour or two or is it for anchoring overnight or when stuck out in a blow....or is it for use on a mooring chain.
Mooring - never mix galv and SS fittings. In fact mooring chain should not be galvanized.
Overnight - Steps and PJC are right - check the rating and their warnings. How much chain are you adding to the anchor rode? Is it worth the risk of having your boat drift of overnight and end up on the rocks? 
Fishing - should be okay, you will only loose your anchor and end chain if it fails, then restart your motor and find a diver to recover the anchor! 
If you value your boat and gear, buy a new chain of the correct length specification and size. I elected not to re galvanise my old anchor chain and purchased a heavier new one - glad I did as soon after I got caught in a blow at the Barrier, gusts of 50 knots. 
Chains and Ropes have a very helpful website;  http://www.chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/safety-information

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:31pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don makes some good points
Significantly is over nighting... just buy the correct length in the 1st place... and along those lines...
 How big a boat are we talking to over night?
My application is a modest 1100 kg 5.5 m cabin boat.. with rated joiners.
 Short link anchor chain 6mm and 8mm.. even in a good current it doesnt lift off the bottom...so not  a great amount of loading.

If I was to be thinking something far bigger, heavier and maybe an extra $50+ odd K more..
New chain or get a new link welded...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 6:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I would keep the anchor chain intact
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the the feedback. This chain is for a windlass capstan application.

2 of these links are already present to join a 10m section of chain to a 20m section of existing chain.

The links need to be used as opposed to a shackle to go through the windlass.

The 10m section of chain is rooted and very rusty. It must have been poor quality as it was added as a join.

My rope is 40m and then 30m of chain so I needed the full length for the depth i anchor in.

Mostly used for day fishing but the odd overnighter.

Thanks for the feedback I think I will vote the bullwt and buy a new anchor pack.

Next question, I will be buying 100m rope and then chain option is 10,20 or 30m.

Storage room is not an issue but what is required for a 6.2m alloy boat.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:18pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

chainsropesandanchors  Nth Harbour.
Give them a call.
They supply kit to the NZNavy and other commercial martime outfits.
Expert advice there.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 4:03am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you can get it welded, I have joined three lots of 30m using them and took it to a good welder,
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Next question, I will be buying 100m rope and then chain option is 10,20 or 30m.

It is important to understand how an anchor and chain actually works.
Knowing this one can look at the depth, know where the tide is, change of depth, and as drop down have a clear picture in ones head of what is happening  and what has to happen.

The chain is not about length or size , individually. Rather a combination of both in regard to current, wind etc.
Think of it like this for example
 you can say drop a 50kg weight onto the top of the anchor then the warp off that... all the weight does is hold the anchor  'arm' down on the seabed flat... the harder you pull, the more it digs in.
As soon as that 'arm' rises, it then twists the anchor  claws up, and it releases from the sea bed.

And example is  very large ships , in a storm, anchor up, then side a big weight down to hold the chain and anchor flat on the sea bed.

A big mistake is often ppl find they cant get a grip on the sea bed, so the go out get a bigger anchor... the problem is usually
1/ Chain not laying out flat on the sea bed
2/ Drop the anchor to fast, chain tangles and cant roll over and dig in, and chain cant hold it down.
3/ The warp from the end of the chain is to short, and hold the chain up, taking weight off the anchor arm

A 5.5m in current and good wind in same direction, with 3m x 6mm then 3m x 8mm then another 3m x 6mm, just doesnt move.
 Get into shelter for over night and the chain doesnt even get to straighten right out past the 1st 3m.

For a 6m  and going 10mm of short link.. that a damn heavy lot of chain...10m would do just about everything yu need.. drop another couple meters on

Also what is important is putting out enough warp, so at the point of the warp and chain join, you have a reasonable angle.. not close to vertical

100m of warp on a 6m boat... which has excellent potential to head out wide to some 60+m deep... I have 130m in the 5.5m.. I would be suggesting say 150.
 I also carry a spare anchor and 6m 8mm chain... IF loose an anchor next to a reef in say 30/ 50m water, and intending to stay out over night, or need to moor up bad weather whatever, still have more than enough warp to put out at steeper angle, to do so safely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:14pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top advice there as always Steps!! I always reckon that anyone that heads out with only one anchor is an accident waiting to happen.  

Loose an anchor while out and then have mechanical problems on the way home and it will all end in disaster.  Im surprised that 2 anchors (with appropriate chain and warp) aren't a requirement along with life jackets.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 4:01pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To be honest, I have 3 ..
 1 as per above.. and as above, Murphy is your best friend IF you listen to him.. lost the anchor and did not have to go home, moored up over night nps as planned.
The 3rd ...recently have made up a bungy cord unit...there is a real good thread , few yrs back ?I think, about fishing off rocks.. unloading then boat goes back on a bungy.
 And damn works real sweet.. park a few meters from rocks, tide change, wind blows, a gin place passes by.. stays solid... hell the wake from the 'palace dropped me hard on and over the rocks, tearing my wet suit... boat didnt move.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:22pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the feedback, ended up going with a 100m 12mm rope and 20m of 6mm chain.

Was limited in options as both rope size and chain had to be as specified to fit the windlass anchor winch on the boat.

Still a bit of a pain as Anchor well is a bit small and needs someone in the cabin pushing rope down as it feeds on otherwise not enough free fall otherwise however regularly fish in 60m so wanted the 100 rope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:56am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

100m in 60m is not enough unless flat calm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

100m in 60m is not enough unless flat calm.

He has 20m of 6mm chain and he is only anchoring a 6.2m trailer boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:19pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He has 20m of 6mm chain and he is only anchoring a 6.2m trailer boat.

Hmm sort of...
 Thats a heap of chain length but only 6mm.. assume short link.
10mm I would say ok...

The chain should have at least 9/10m laying on the ocean floor.. the weight holds the anchor shaft down.. once the shaft lifts to about 30 deg (on most anchor types) it then levers the pick parts out of whatever they have' ploughed' themselves in
In 60m with a bit current and wind, it will be touch and go..  100m with 20 m 6mm chain.. not enough weight to to hold the end ove the warp down.
I have 3m of 6mm, then 3m of 8mm, this adds lot weight further back, which if at the anchor would not be as effective.. then another 3m of 6m.
 Note the different sizes are to accommodate the chain size at  to go thru the hatch and hatch seal water tight... on capstan, not which...

We get out around the 50m mark max.. 5,5m boat and because of that have a good 120m warp with another 40m if need be thats used on the dredge.
Personally I would be looking as PJC alludes to.. at least 120m on 20m of 6mm SORT LINK.. but would be far more happy with 150m.

We got an anchor stuck in a over night trip , 1st day, in around 45m of water.
Had to cut it free in the end.. but still had more than enough (and spare anchor and chain..) for next couple days in upto 35m without any issues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 3:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we have for fishing purposes only,15m 8mm chain and 50 m warp and that is just enough in 20 metres,15lb plough 26ft vessel use in sheltered conditions, length of chain warp should be payed out around 3 times depth minimum.

Main is 20lb plough,100m warp and 20m 8mm chain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 20ft vessel with reasonably high windage.  I  have about 12 feet of 6mm chain and a 8kg kewene anchor.  The kewene has a swivelling head which bites in well.

This combo holds just fine with a 1.5:1(ish) scope in any conditions I'm out in.

I also carry another 12 feet of chain and a plumb weight which I could attach to the top end.  I've never had to use them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it is a good idea to carry a good length of good rope.. just for sundry events...
 Then there is the hassle/ room to stow it well.
 If happens to be part of the anchor warp...
 I bet most of those who have  min warp, dont also carry a 25/ 50m of good 'tow rope'
Page  12>