Speed Cameras??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed Cameras??
    Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:36pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting bit of information here, not too sure how to feel about it though.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/97778843/new-speed-cameras-to-scuttle-boatie-speedsters?cid=facebook.post.97778843

I'm all for enforcing the 5knot rule in particular areas, but then again in some places the 5knot within 200m of shore line is outright nuts. 

Take Whangarei harbor for example, Be a lengthy trip if one was to try follow the rules from the entrance to Onerahi..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same as you, not sure how I feel about it. Saw a guy at full tilt right off the public ramp at Parua Bay on Friday. Knob.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Same as you, not sure how I feel about it. Saw a guy at full tilt right off the public ramp at Parua Bay on Friday. Knob.

Nutter season is upon us alright. LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:54pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just need to find out where to get a couple from and put them on our dock in Westhaven. Take about a week to fill up my retirement fund I reckon and that wouldn't even need a 5knt trigger. I reckon I could retire with a 10knt setting in our no wake zone. 
Downisde will be when the Auckland Harbourmaster starts using them to enforce the crazy 12knt harbour limit. That is one seriously crazy limit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:14pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeeehaa.
Harbour masters could do with real boost in their budgets

This out on Stuff today to
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/97806814/240000-worth-of-speeding-tickets-issued-on-christchurchs-harewood-rd

guy goes on about trying to justfy why 'do the crime, do the time' should not apply to some laws.....

Also recently they announced a whole heap new speed camera around the country....so seems piling a lot the money back into review gathering ( dont mean in a derogatory manner)  Now just need to expand the Red light camera...

I dont think this has been a too recent call by harbour masters... how many have noticed all those big yellow bouys put around the coast?
How many know what they mean?
200m mark guys.

So its all been set up ready????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Yeeehaa.
How many know what they mean?
200m mark guys.

5 Knot markers when leaving boat ramps / marinas to mean mean 'Idle that motor out to me son, let her warm up before you flog it'

If it gathers $$$ then I'm sure it will become nation wide eventually provided it works

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

I just need to find out where to get a couple from and put them on our dock in Westhaven. Take about a week to fill up my retirement fund I reckon and that wouldn't even need a 5knt trigger. I reckon I could retire with a 10knt setting in our no wake zone. 
Downisde will be when the Auckland Harbourmaster starts using them to enforce the crazy 12knt harbour limit. That is one seriously crazy limit.

I feel for you, Tagit.

Even sitting on the ferry to work it seems bizarre. Coming towards the city our Half Moon Bay ferry slows right down opposite Ferguson, but the Pine Harbour one roars past right to the entrance to the ferry basin.

Is there a lane where faster speeds are allowed for some boats, but not others?

Re the general ignorance or willful disobedience which sees idiots blasting around within 200m of Auckland's suburban swimming beaches, throw the book at them, I reckon.

I had an argument with a woman at work who goes waterskiing and seriously thinks it is okay to go at ski speed right in close as long as "she knows" nobody is swimming. As always, it will take a tragedy to put the spotlight on this issue.
Last summer, I watched a parent with small kids on board using a rubber cat to blast in and out of the waves at a Northland beach, into waist-deep water at times. It left me so angry, just in time to walk away and see their land-based equivalents riding dirt bikes through a dotterel breeding area. Absolute morons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:44pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The thing that really annoys me here is that when you call out (politely -"hey guys this is a no wake zone") and ask someone to respect the no wake zone so that your boats don't get continually smashed into the dock you get - 40% straight abuse in words and gestures, 30% turn head the other way and pretend to have not heard, 10% excuses about why they can't possibly slow down or that they aren't 'speeding', 10% threats of physical violence for daring to comment on their idiocy, and the final 10% slow down, but around half of them then think about it and then speed up again because they feel offended. If the harbourmaster only knew they could fund their entire operation from one or maybe two speed cameras for at least a season until the pain of paying for their idiot behaviour caught up with everyone. Honestly they might save 30 seconds to 2 minutes in travelling time by speeding depending on where they are berthed.

You have no idea how much pleasure I could get from watching those cameras clicking, and given the massive signage that already exists about the no wake zone I think you could justify some substantial fines. Of course the offended public squealing would be deafening as these people were made responsible for their actions. I wonder if I could get some of it back from the harbourmaster to pay for years of the damage to my boats?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 2:11pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nz is so far behind the times as far as water police go v number of water users,
bit like the cop on the side of road people slow down,

Tagit the biggest issue I see at sea is the blatant safety laws ,whether its water safety/fish regs etc there is no licence required,and that to me is a problem with our growing water borne population,fines are just slaps on hand.

halfmoon bay must have to biggest bunch of wa#ks using it,it is like a washing machine 5knts where?? no just the trailer boats but gin palaces,with the MT Wellington dry stack operating forget about trying to do any painting on a mooring,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:07pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ive said it before we need a fully funded water Police with special powers. stop this stuff in a heartbeat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:24pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The world has gone mad....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have the answer for you "tagit" become a Honorary Harbour master

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:45am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have thought about that PJC but haven't had enough time this winter to do anything about investigating it. I have never heard of such a position so not even sure that such a thing exists but if it does you know that it will involve lots of training time to learn all the compliance and safety stuff that will be required so that is on the list of things to investigate after this coming season. 
I was sitting on my boat late yesterday avo and saw a mates small 6.5m charter boat (one of several he owns) tied up whilst the skipper and his clients used the filleting table. The main reason I noticed was that the boat was only tied up with one rope through a grab handle at the rear and was swinging around at right angles to the berth. No fenders and engine banging against the dock so got a photo for him. That made me watch the traffic going past and 6 successive trailer boats heading into Pier 21 went past with huge wakes in the middle of the no wake zone. Families, young guys, old guys and even a woman skipper. Straight past this very obviously poorly secured boat which then swung all over the place as they went past. Everyone one of them decided that 2 minutes of their time at the end of many hours on the water was more important than damaging other peoples boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=271

I remember seeing a similar thing set up early 1970s,I think it may of fallen under maritime NZ, honorary launch wardens,flew a blue flag from memory and may of had a mnz crest/propeller on it.     Think was well before coastguard became recognized .

Some of the older forum members may remember them,at the time I was about 10/11.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit, in your situation with boats moored I agree 100% cameras and harsh punishments to deter wakes should be in place.

Ive always thought no wake means exactly that.. no wake just ripples so to me its like 2-3knts.

Side note.. Tutukaka today and lord.. the nutters are on the water and the snails at the ramp have certainly arrived.. seems strange, hold everyone up at the ramp, take ages.. but then must zip through the marina..