Boat Cover Options

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Cover Options
    Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:31pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My 5m Ally boat has spent more time than i would like out in the weather whilst i work in my garage workshop, and my previous grey cheap cover had given up in the wind.

On trademe there are options from $50 something to many hundred dollars, i am after feedback if anyone has brought some of these and how do the stand up to the weather, wind ETc.

My permanent option is to store boat back in shed, so does not need to be custom fitted canvas etc, but something reasonably priced i am after.

Happy to hear about anything to avoid, as well as recomendations particularly off trademe, or in Auckland
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:04pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got my last two off Roger who trades under Coverworldnz on TM. Not too expensive and really happy with the quality. He will go out of his way to make sure you get the right product. Because they are not custom made they don't fit perfectly but close enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:42pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For durability and price I got a heavy duty tarpaulin from warehouse. Cost about $200 and not custom fitted. Tied down with some rope and bungees and completely dry inside. Si
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have one of these and totally rate it 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/seating-covers/auction-1436587654.htm 

Been a great cover for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:02pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks twosix. I've just been looking at these trying to decide between the standard or the pro cover. Not a lot of detail on the difference but pro 50% more expensive
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have one of these and have been pleasantly surprised how well its stood up to a pretty wild winter... https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boating/seating-carpet-covers/boat-rv-covers/oceansouth-runabout-covers

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:46pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got one of these  https://www.coversystems.co.nz/store/cabin-and-runabout-boat-covers/cabin-cruiser-cover/  and it's doing well.  I had one on the last boat and it split during the warranty period.  They got it back and exchanged it no problems, apparently it was a fault in the material at the end of a batch or something.  But good to know they stand by the warranty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:08pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I decided to get a large silver rectangular cover from bunnings with the metal D rings. It is the extra heavy duty type and because of its size it covers right up and over the windscreen and down the sides of the hull also for maximum protection. I was considering the fitted types but for the reasons above went that way. Has lasted well so far and has even ended up with a fair bit of water on top of it without the D rings tearing out or the fabric tearing. 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/polytuf-tarpaulin-ultra-heavy-duty-4-9-x-6-1m-silver-black_p00170634
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When 1st got the boat used the custom cover...but never dried out.. storage would get a little musty, little mould algie here and there.
 Then dropped a couple poles in the ground next to the shed, and a 2nd hand 6x6 square sun shade over.. still gets rain in the back of the deck area.. but dries well alsi. The cabin , under bimini stays dry well ventalted and smell, mould free.
 With the carpet in the rear and rains on, when water blast did get a little green algie wash out thu.

Bimini is up unless a big storm wind due.. mainly because the sunshine can whip, and could hit top of bimini , bend/ damage the frame.

Engine cover a must, espec mercs..and engine in down position.. rain can blow in the vents lay in the bottom, corrosion, binding gear chance bush type issues. Make sure engine inside is dry before coving.

Bimini and clears been up for over 5yrs now.. all still in excellent condition.. well maintained, etc

I recon the main thing is more direct sun.. thu if placed on a sth side of a building .. too much shade would be the same as a cover re mould/ agie.

After wash down, and most of the moisture gone.. Gone in 60 sec concentrate, diluted about 80/100 mls per liter in a squeeze mist bottle, and quick mist thru cabin , carpets, seats, back edges of bimini seams,  goes a long way for smell mould/ agie prevention.

The only time when use the boat cover now is if loaded up for a trip away camping or such.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:41am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

I got my last two off Roger who trades under Coverworldnz on TM. Not too expensive and really happy with the quality. He will go out of his way to make sure you get the right product. Because they are not custom made they don't fit perfectly but close enough.

I second that. I have had one of these for 4 years now with no sign of deterioration, and more tie down point than you would ever want using really heavy duty material.

This one is on a FC560 C/C with a T-top. I bought it for my previous boat but it fits this one perfectly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:06am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Check out Aliexpress, looks like you can get identical covers to what's being sold on Trademe for far cheaper.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:15am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Stonefish Stonefish wrote:

Check out Aliexpress, looks like you can get identical covers to what's being sold on Trademe for far cheaper.

And under NZ sun they will last a year if you are lucky.  Boat covers is something that you generally do get what you pay for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by Stonefish Stonefish wrote:

And under NZ sun they will last a year if you are lucky.  Boat covers is something that you generally do get what you pay for.

Just putting another option out there if he's considering buying one off Trademe, pretty sure that where those sellers will be getting them from then adding their mark-up, so why not cut out the middle man.
Where are the Cover Systems covers made?
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 12:22pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=jackel]I decided to get a large silver rectangular cover from bunnings with the metal D rings. It is the extra heavy duty type and because of its size it covers right up and over the windscreen and down the sides of the hull also for maximum protection. I was considering the fitted types but for the reasons above went that way. Has lasted well so far and has even ended up with a fair bit of water on top of it without the D rings tearing out or the fabric tearing. 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/polytuf-tarpaulin-ultra-heavy-duty-4-9-x-6-1m-silver-black_p00170634
[/QUO

Thats what I have....one year old been through some rough weather and no problems at all, and covers the whole boat nicely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:27pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cover Systems also here....This is now 5xyears old and still excellent. Well reinforced and double layered where necessary. Remember you get what you pay for
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 8:26pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Purchased my cover from trademe and are happy with it so far. Am certainly happy with it being outside a little longer while o finish off a few projects. Thanks for the recommendations and comment.