The Measure Tape

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Measure Tape
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:16pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/the-measure-tape
Good article.    The only real benefit of a 100' cast is that it makes a 70 footer easy.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:08am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Each to their own, but iv never seen the point in casting long lines, other than trying to stroke your own ego in front of mates?    If I cant see the fish then im generally not casting, and when I spot a fish, im stalking in as close as possible.   Fly fishing to me is hunting, not a game of chance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:41pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

It really does not matter what else you do well in fly fishing it all counts for zero if you cant deliver the fly to the fish and manipulate it so that the fish wants to eat it.    That makes casting the central most important component to fly fishing.    The more versatile and the better your casting skills are the more positive encounters with the wily trout you will have.   Stretching a line when you need it is one of those skills.    Distance casting (and I am here talking about realistic fishing distances) really sorts the men from the boys.    It brutally exposes casting ills that not only restricts your fishing arc it also hinders good accuracy and presentation.     It all boils down to the need to have good control of your tackle.   As I said before the really benefit of the skill to rip off a 100' cast is that this skill makes shorter ones much easier, more accurate and more doable in adverse conditions.     I have yet to meet a fly fisher who would not like to be a better fly caster.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:42am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The only way to cast 30m+ is with really good technique - you can't do it without good casting skills. However you can cast say 20m with tight loops etc and then have your technique fall apart etc at greater distances .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 5:32pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

You are quite right.    We all have our own casting ceiling.

Nothing reveals that quicker than casting weight.   The hand full of people who do that superbly on the Tongariro are a pleasure to watch.    They invariably double haul, have super high line speed and contrary to some overseas opinion achieve that with tight loops.   This ensures good distance, better accuracy and enhanced wind penetration.      It is easier to scale down than to scale up.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you boys need to pick up surfcasting?  LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:56pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to be able to out-cast a regular member of the NZ fly fishing team but he was a better (usually) catcher than me.
Not the size, it's what you do with it!Embarrassed
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:03pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Sounds like you boys need to pick up surfcasting?  LOLLOL

I find salt water fly fishing often requires quite long casts especially when fishing from a boat for the likes of albacore /skippies , trevally , kingfish .
Fresh water fly fishing I often fish blind as in the fish can be riffles or deap holes etc and can't be spotted and personally I wouldnt want to walk by likely holding spots to only fish to sighted fish - I'd miss out on lots of fish .
The idea that fishing to sighted fish is skilful and that any other form of fly fishing is a game of chance!! reminds me of the old fashioned British idea that only dryfly fishing is reel fly fishing and that nymphing is immoral or wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember Bob Jones writing about him changing from a dry to a nymph on the Test river and getting an earful from his host!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:47am
Platinum
Platinum

No, dont take me wrong.  Its not that I think its superior, its just that I dont find much if any appeal in blind fishing.   I only really enjoy the thrill of fooling a fish I can see, so casting in the hope that a fish will find my fly, just doesn't appeal to me.  

Each to there own though.  If you enjoy it,  then do it, there isn't anything wrong in it.  Iv always said that the person that has the most fun while fishing is the best fisher, not the one that catches the biggest / most fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:25am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like that - the person who has the most fun is the best fisher .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 2:28pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The only problem with that theory is that crap fishers usually don't have fun not catching fish.     One can only enjoy pain for so long.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I feel I catch many more trout with the ability to cast 100-120ft+ regularly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

The only problem with that theory is that crap fishers usually don't have fun not catching fish.     One can only enjoy pain for so long.

Rainbow

People that think catching numbers is the only way to enjoy fly fishing, are the kind of people we don't need in the fly fishing fraternity. 95% of the joy of fly fishing has nothing to do with catching fish!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

I like that - the person who has the most fun is the best fisher .

It is definitely the case in my opinion. I take great joy in catching 10" fish on a tiny brook. Others that think catching tophy fish on a big river is somehow better? I think they don't know what they are missing out on!!

The size of the smile on your face is the yardstick to measure by!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:38pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went fishing over the Christmas break and a young farm hand asked if he could come with me and watch.
Told him I was dry fly fishing, then I came to a deeper pool and told him a dry was unlikely to catch a trout.
He asked how would I catch one so told him a weighted nymph - he asked that I should try one, so I did and caught a decent fish 2nd cast....then snipped off fly.
He told me I was crazy...I agreed with him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:41pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Fraser this has been my observation of thousands of fisher in fresh and saltwater over 60 years of fishing.   Sadly it has also been my observation with the Tongariro Roll Cast that the people who diss it are the ones that can't do it.     One could also say the same about a 100' fly cast.       Why buy all this expensive gear when "Just being there" is all that matters.     

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gulfgreyhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 6:58pm
gulfgreyhound View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Distance is less important than accuracy.  Can you put your fly in your hat at 10 meters ? 
The trouble with some people is that when their not drunk their sober. Yeates,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 7:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by gulfgreyhound gulfgreyhound wrote:

Distance is less important than accuracy.  Can you put your fly in your hat at 10 meters ? 

Yep, can you?Big smile

I think when fishing small streams, especially with the dry, accuracy is most important.
But on big rivers, like the Tongariro, distance & consistency are king.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like we will have to agree to disagree then Rainbow? 

IF its numbers that does it for you Rainbow, then why not just go bait fishing, or stray lining?  That's how to catch large numbers of trout. 
Page  12>