skirt glue

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skirt glue
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:58am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What kind of glue are you guys using to attach skirts to lure head - need to re skirt. Tried super glue and skirt fell off on first hit.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, most of the re-skirting I do, I like to use rigging thread.
I've opted for the thinner waxed thread rather than the normal stuff we use for traditional bait stitching.

You need to have the lure skirt inside out and cut just ever so slightly smaller than the head to facilitate a tight fit.
Wrap a few times and you'll notice how nice and flat the waxed tape sits. You need to blind splice the end to tie it off.

I've moved away from super glue, or any glue for that matter as there was always a mess.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if the skirts are tight to get over the ridge of the lure, use a bit of dish-washing liquid to lube it up.
Washes out easy enough and doesn't have any residual mess.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:40am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are putting the waxed thread on the head, and sliding skirt over? Relying on grip of skirt to thread? How does that work for double skirt?
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:07am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:20pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome. Thanks. But having looked at it, I am not sure I can use that method on this head. Double skirt, but only one skirt recess cut on head. One skirt slips over the other. Those Bart heads are cut to allow each skirt it's own position, and cut deep enough to double back over the thread. This skirt/head was originally glued. Lasted fine til wahoo finished it.
I will definitely use that thread technique where I can. Much better than glue. But since it looks like I will have to glue this one, any recommendations? This lure would have caught more fish than others put together - so reluctant to change it.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stick up a photo of the head mate.

Let me see what it looks like and perhaps can make a suggestion - you can always do a double skirt, even on those 'single' heads generally.

@Tzer - good videos mate.
Pictures speak a thousand words.Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UY5eeOP784

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2kMT_Ce_l4

Great videos Craig, I prefer the Pakula methodology, as in , perhaps economy of effort and a lesser water signature or thickness on the lure preventing it from spinning, which is our ultimate goal.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:14pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Let me see what it looks like and perhaps can make a suggestion - you can always do a double skirt, even on those 'single' heads generally.

I'll see if I can find a similar unskirted head. I have reskirted it again using araldite. Not sure how that will work. Will try and find another head.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:56pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

I'll see if I can find a similar unskirted head. I have reskirted it again using araldite. Not sure how that will work. Will try and find another head.
Regards
Alan

I wouldn't have used araldite, you can get from the likes of Bunnings a more pliable glue more suited to vinyl & rubber.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that would probably be a better glue - but araldite is what I have - other than superglue. But that is the kind of info I am after. I can't find another beheaded lure right now - and don't want to pull the araldite one apart - just in case it works. Have attached a pic of a lure of same head, and sketch of what the back of the head looks like. If someone can suggest how to fix the skirt without glue I will be happy to hear the good news. Basically the inner skirt is glued to the head and the outer skirt is glued to the inner skirt. They have lasted well, never come off. Just that a wahoo shredded my favourite lure and trying to get it back in to action.
Thanks
Alan
I'll try and post pic separate - I always have problems with this bit.
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:31pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:04am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Al,

That looks pretty simple mate and heaps of space for the double skirt.

First thing, you want to attach the outer skirt.
Follow the video and use the rigging floss. The cut end of the skirt, pull it a little higher to still keep some exposed lure neck for the inner skirt.

This is best to be glued for a seamless transition.

I'll draw up a picture and scan it in with instructions during the course of the day mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Use Loctite 401, but watch your fingers.

If you are going to tie the skirts on you need to make sure that the head allows for the doubled over skirt material as the last thing you want is to end up with a big bulge behind the lure head.
http://www.facebook.com/GForceLures
http://www.gforcelures.co.nz/
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A note on glues in general
 Super glue.. it has nil flexabity, designed where 2 hard surfaces (ceramic, steel etc) have perfectly matched surfaces and to be effective needs to have the min amount  thickness between surfacrs.
 Rem the Advert, 1 drop on 1 machined steel surfaces lifting an elephant.. and that ad was confirmed as real.

Aladite and epoxy .. again these cure rock hard.. each can be used on most plastics, thru overall epoxy is far stronger and far more versatile on what surfaces is effective on.

'Rubber' glues. a wide variety of types... tyre tube repair/ butyl rubber, F2 contact, wet suit repair... These also cover a wide range of materials, woods , metals, cloths, carpets, rubber and many plastics, vynals.
 They also remain flexible to different degrees...
 But essential that instructions followed exactly with dry times, touch dry and number coats before pressing together.

Never messed with lure skirts, but going on the materials type and end use.
 Super glue.. wouldn't even go that route

Would go epoxy over araldite... BUT surfaces espec the plastic skirt surface would degrease and roughed surface (240 grit paper) in that order before applying
 Contacts would be my 1st choice thu. most likely along the lines of a butyl rubber or wet suit compound....and the important part, allow to cure for 3 to 5 days.

Note .. always degrees something then sand.. if sand before degreasing you sand any oils / silicones into the surface of the items, and degreasing will not get a fully clean surface... a common mistake made when painting car interior metal/ plastic surfaces....then still the new paint 'fish eyes'... that is why.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:54pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Righto mate,

Hope this makes some sense to you.

Definitely agree with Murph about loctite.

Just make sure when you do get to the gluing part the vinyl skirt is cleaned and dry and the oily stuff you used to slide it on is mostly gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys. Looks like I better go hunting for some better glue. Could be a challenge in Vanuatu, but I am back to NZ in a couple of weeks so will get what is most appropriate then if all fails.
For a degreaser, something like brakekleen?
Yes, I wonder if there is room to double the skirt over. But it is two skirts already -  just that he always made them glued one on top of other. If I follow Jaapies drawing I may get away with it. Depends how much it bulks up when I fold it. I can try first. But Jaapies system looks good - the outer skirt is tied down, so that should hold everything in place - right?
These lures were made by a mate decades ago - he did it for a hobby. Stopped now. I bought near all the old bits and pieces he still had left after trying a few. They catch fish.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:02pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alan, if you're in Vanuatu just take the lure to SALTWATER FISHING TACKLE store. They'll have skirts and will put them on for you.

Easy as they skirt more lures than just about anyone on the planet. A wahoo fishery will do that :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Peter - I know them well. Last lure I bought off them I took back next day (2-3 weeks ago). Lasted one day and shredded. I asked for my money back :-) this lure not working. They said I could have my money back if I brought the wahoo for them :-). They have a few of your lures - that is where I got on to them.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:56pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In fact the skirts I re skirted this problem lure with, I bought off them. Never thought to get them to reskirt it.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For a degreaser, something like brakekleen?
 brake clean or carb clean.. 1st try a little  see if attacks the plastic.

Isopropyl alcohol...
or car painters degreaser
 Will find rubbing well with meths and clean cloth, good to.

Also adding to the glue list.. one that is real strong, also used as structural 'glue; in the automotive industry  putting windscreens in...
And often called marine grade  sealant...   is urethane...
 Sellys used to make it upto a couple yrs back... other than the silka marine brands and automotive glass installers  dont know of any sources any more.
Page  12>