skirt glue

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll try and find out what he guys at Salt water fishing use - they may have a local product - or they may import for themselves. If that doesn't work, I will get something in NZ on your above list. But I will check and see if they will do reskirts - may be the simple answer. But then it is always nice to be able to do yourself. A trip to Vila is 1/2 hr for me. And I try to go no more than once a week. Nice to be able to get the lure in action the next day if poss. Sometimes the wait is not inconvenient, other times it is.
regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right, tested the araldite - not working very well. So pulled skirt off. Can show you pic of actual lure head and the new skirt - which is as close as I can get to original. Have spent hrs/days looking for original replacement. But the equivalent now has eyes painted on it. My mate who made them also checked thru original supplier lines - all have eyes on now.  Have tried removing them, no luck, tried painting over them, no luck. This outer is close but not exactly same. This lure has caught more fish than everything else in boat put together. Got to the point if we had this one out, waste of time having the other 4 rods out. So we got down to fishing just the one lure. Saved hauling in and putting out the other 4 after each strike. Mahi (deadly) marlin and wahoo. Was loosing skirt but still worked. Finally a wahoo totally shredded it and it lost its mojo.
The plug at back of neck is parallel - measured with verniers. So was meant to be glued - and I know he did use glue. I will check with Saltwater fishing guys Friday, but I am guessing they are whipping their skirts on. This head was made some 30 yrs ago. Back to NZ in a couple of weeks. I have a lathe there, so will cut a couple of tapers so I can whip it as Jaapie has described. Meantime I have some epoxy glue. Will try de-greasing, sand paper and glueing, again. I think my mate did use a loctite product (30 yrs ago).
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:29am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Looks similar to Big T skirts Alan, i will check my supply and see if i still have some
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:20pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Alan, Is that a single skirt in picture above or has it got a pink under skirt? I have a Big T skirt in Evil colour that looks exactly like the top skirt
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is an inner skirt of blue/pink/silver
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:08pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

last time i had to  do a skirt, all i could find on the boat was no more nails it worked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can get that here. If this epoxy doesn't work (setting now), I can try that for a couple of weeks.
The lower lure is the original after the wahoo finished it off. I have not been able to replace the top skirt exactly.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:02pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Back to NZ in a couple of weeks. I have a lathe there, so will cut a couple of tapers so I can whip it as Jaapie has described.

that's exactly what I do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Kevin.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, checked, and Saltwater fishing do use glue. They told me to go to Chinese shop and get super glue. Which is what I have already tried. 
But I think my epoxy is working - will see.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12