Wild West! Big Snaps Mokau!!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (12) Likes(12)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wild West! Big Snaps Mokau!!
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:26pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Almost a repeat performance of my last report an opening was there for half a days fishing, so out Aaron myself and Greg went again In the big ally centre console. Going over the Bar was definately off limits if you have no experience! Big waves coming at you can be daunting but Aaron's patients sitting in the white water and knowing when to go is something you learn from years of experience! Out we go To same Spot i showed him last time. Sea 1.2 metres with a small chop but well fishable. We were only boat out as like last trip. Had a bit of freshly frozen bait from last time, but deployed Sabiki's straight away to catch fresh as well. Caught some Barracouta which is great fresh! Cut one fillet in half, fold skin to skin about a foot long with your hooks top and bottom cast out and it will only be a big Snap that takes it on. Simple!!  So many Fisho's these days complicate things with all the methods available  they end up driving all over the place in there boats with very little to show. After an hour or so bobbing up an down we finally heard the noise of a drag peeling off some Line! Aarons first up with a nice Snap around 8 kg's. Yeh Ha! we are on the Board... Half an hour later he hooked another 7 odd kg. The Couta was living up to one of my best fresh Baits for Straylining. Bait fish went Scarce on Sabiki's but Nice Gurnhards were taking there place. At the two hour mark i got my first run and a goodieSmile A Big Snap engulfed my Couta bait and went on a big run! Let e'm go three times before engaging pressure on him and five or so minutes later had a 9-10 kg snap in the boat! Was one of the Mokau fish that have a big tail for the size of them. Great if your in a Measure Comp! Went 80.5 cm. Pretty much the day heading in shortly after. Few Photo's- Aaron with his couple, Myself, and the biggest on measure showing the size of its FlapperLOL Cheers...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Geoff!

I still think you may be pleasantly surprised if you gave softbaiting a go down there. I reckon you would still smash it Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:56pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Nice Geoff!

I still think you may be pleasantly surprised if you gave softbaiting a go down there. I reckon you would still smash itΒ Approve

Even better, try a whole couta, lol.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonga-tui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:47pm
tonga-tui View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Stop it Geoff!! Great effort once again my man
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:55pm
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice bro!will be down there labour weekend for the comp!
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:17am
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Geoff!

I still think you may be pleasantly surprised if you gave softbaiting a go down there. I reckon you would still smash it Approve
Hi Muppet, thanks for reply. Until very recently i discovered why softbaiting is hardly used off Mokau. Our Fishing club president does alot of fishing in Tauranga- Gulf with softbaits and enjoys it alot. I asked him why not use off Mokau? He's tried numerous times without success. Puts it down to the visibility of the water when near the bottom. Because of the two main rivers here spewing out dirty water all the time even when it appears clean theres always a bottom layer thats dirty. He reverts back to the good old Smelly fresh baits like myself! Maybe wrong but he's a very experienced fisherman. Still with all options and Brands of Softbaits out there, would still love to see some serious softbaiters come here and give it a go! Would happily put them on all my good spots and make sure they have a good time down in Mokau. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:54am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good one Geoff - yep those big Mokau tails are distinctive alright.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:53am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Nice Geoff!

Hi Muppet, thanks for reply. Until very recently i discovered why softbaiting is hardly used off Mokau. Our Fishing club president does alot of fishing in Tauranga- Gulf with softbaits and enjoys it alot. I asked him why not use off Mokau? He's tried numerous times without success. Puts it down to the visibility of the water when near the bottom. Because of the two main rivers here spewing out dirty water all the time even when it appears clean theres always a bottom layer thats dirty. He reverts back to the good old Smelly fresh baits like myself! Maybe wrong but he's a very experienced fisherman. Still with all options and Brands of Softbaits out there, would still love to see some serious softbaiters come here and give it a go! Would happily put them on all my good spots and make sure they have a good time down in Mokau. Cheers.

I can imagine that being the case Geoff I would go bright and use 7 inch softbaits personally. I would also think trying it after a few days of drier weather would help being a bit clearer. Snapper that size would give some epic bites as the softbaits descend. If I get a spare day or two ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:21am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've done soft baiting mokau.we were using massive kahawai baits on the stray lines in 9ms of water with no success. Fishing was dead so I jumped on the front of my ramco and dropped a nuclear chicken up current and it got smashed on the drop! Thinkn it was a kahawai until I closed t bail arm that was ! A nice fite and a nice 7kg fish being netied by t Boyes n t bak! Next 45 mins I almost got smashed on every drop,all up 6 snaps 5kg to 7kg and all fought hard! The Boyes on the bak didn't get a nibble on the kahawai slabs! They swith ed to soft baits but t run had finishe'd! Just shows u.soft baits can have there place!
I was fishing about 1km off u geof one of out day comps and we talked about the soft baits slay t snaps!!!!
2 many missions to remember aye bro !!!!!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ .
If I find the photos IL post them up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:22am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Or it it just old ageπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯😩😩
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:32am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once out on the Dove from Kawhia - the fishing was slow (as it often is to begin with). I chucked out a leger rig with 2 soft plastics on. First fish of the day for the boat on it, then the 2nd, then the 3rd, then the baits started getting hit so pulled it in.
Was fishing more like regular than normal SP fishing.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:36am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ramcoed ramcoed wrote:

I've done soft baiting mokau.we were using massive kahawai baits on the stray lines in 9ms of water with no success. Fishing was dead so I jumped on the front of my ramco and dropped a nuclear chicken up current and it got smashed on the drop! Thinkn it was a kahawai until I closed t bail arm that was ! A nice fite and a nice 7kg fish being netied by t Boyes n t bak! Next 45 mins I almost got smashed on every drop,all up 6 snaps 5kg to 7kg and all fought hard! The Boyes on the bak didn't get a nibble on the kahawai slabs! They swith ed to soft baits but t run had finishe'd! Just shows u.soft baits can have there place!
I was fishing about 1km off u geof one of out day comps and we talked about the soft baits slay t snaps!!!!
2 many missions to remember aye bro !!!!!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ .
If I find the photos IL post them up!

Yeah that is exactly what I would expect to happen with those bigger snapper eyeballing the softies as they go down and they come up to smash them.
There are places in South Australia that sound exactly like Mokau and the guys over there nail snaps to 40lb on softies. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:59am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ramcoed ramcoed wrote:

Or it it just old ageπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯😩😩
Ha Ha MarkClown  I remember! Okay your next trip down you go Softies i'll  Stick to my big Baits. If you out fish me Thats itLOL I will give e'm a go!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mokau lacks a few key ingrediants to be a great soft bait spot
1 - structure
2 - current lines
3 - Snaps out west are more scavengers than predators

Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Mokau lacks a few key ingrediants to be a great soft bait spot
1 - structure
2 - current lines
3 - Snaps out west are more scavengers than predators

The first two are generally considored essential for straylining too. Smile

Not saying there is anything wrong with Geoff methods obviously he slays them just as a point of trying something new. I vary up my fishing personally just to keep things interesting as I think most guys do. I just reckon once you get a few big ones on the board with the softbaits (or jigs whatever)down there it would be all go. Thumbs Up  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:35pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Living the dream. Love your posts. Congrats AGAIN.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:28pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Geoff cheers for the report. 
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:28pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great report thanks Geoff.how the whitebaiting going.must be hard work with all this rain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 4:39am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Living the dream. Love your posts. Congrats AGAIN.
Thank you krow! always appreciate your replies. Cheers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 4:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Great report thanks Geoff.how the whitebaiting going.must be hard work with all this rain.
Hi White snake, thanks for reply. Love the rain for whitebaiting! I'm a 95% mouth Scooper. There's a few of us that get e'm that way! The more rain-floodwater in the river as the whitebait come in the more they hold to the side and edges as the outgoing current flood water is to strong for them to swim in. along we go scooping e'm up! Sometimes hard work but rewarding when you get a few kg's or so. Cheers....
Page  12>