The seamier side of boating

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The seamier side of boating
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:25am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterday, I came in to Gulf Harbour ramp during the afternoon, to be met by 20 boats milling around waiting for the ramp to become free. It took a wait of 1.5 hours before I got my boat out.
While I waited, the queue built up to over 30 boats. That's too much waiting for many of them. Some boaties didn't seem to know how to behave in a mature fashion - some trying to jump the queue - some pushing forward so those in front felt they had to go forward to keep their place and try and stay safe from collision, so everyone was unsafe.

Im not saying everyone was acting badly, just a few.
If you know gulf harbour, theres a rock breakwater beside the ramp, which makes a small area available for boats getting near the ramp. Rocks on one side, and stupid boaties on the other.

You know, cant stay in one position, so continually engaging the prop, moving slightly, then the wind blew the boat backwards. One and a half hours of this! Ruined my day.

I saw two collisions, one with rocks.

When I arrived at the ramp in the morning about 9am, I should have known better, trailer parking already over-filled, all the grass beside the marina filled, some parked along the roadway. I should have cancelled or looked somewhere else for a beach launch. I wont make that mistake again.

And that was a Friday, not a public holiday - not yet summer even!.

Theres no sign of the Council doing anything to cater for the huge increase in population that's pouring into Auckland (mostly from overseas). You all know whos to blame for this - the stupid government (that 46% of you voted for, for some unfathomable reason).

To cap it off, my motor played up (in the Boat section) - and fishing was b...y hard, caught 2 snapper just big enough (in the Reports section).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:41am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I have been to half moon bay on holiday was a nightmare....you have to go early or avoid busy days
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:29am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The answer is simple. Tax all boats, say 3% of their value and charge a reasonable fee to launch and park at ACC ramps, say $20. Include a requirement to license all boats and have a marine WOF. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

The answer is simple. Tax all boats, say 3% of their value and charge a reasonable fee to launch and park at ACC ramps, say $20. Include a requirement to license all boats and have a marine WOF. 

What would that achieve ??????

More money for the government coffers or slush fund, no doubt but that is where it will stay to be spent, as with all the transport levies on various whims of their fancy excluding any added benefits for boaties!

Rather naïve to think otherwise imo. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Space Invader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:40pm
Space Invader View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That wont work. That's peanuts to some people and absolutely no qualification of competency. I should know.Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:43pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

More money for the government coffers or slush fund, no doubt but that is where it will stay to be spent, as with all the transport levies on various whims of their fancy excluding any added benefits for boaties!

[/QUOTE]

It would shorten the waiting time down to retrieve the boat. It would also employ a bunch of wardens and inspectors. Probably not the direction that a National Govt would head toward even with 46% of the vote.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:00pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It would shorten the waiting time down to retrieve the boat. It would also employ a bunch of wardens and inspectors. Probably not the direction that a National Govt would head toward even with 46% of the vote.
[/QUOTE]works overseas but kiwis are too short sighted and dont want to part with cash to improve amenities,much rather moan about the sub standard ramps etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Support your local boat club ramp.
 More support the better their ramps the number the pontoons get

And hassles of boats on the water.. that council or harbour master?

On a club ramp, member gets unruly, pushy, chances they get suspended use of the ramps, or even membership banned.

Many club ramps have anything from live on site custodians,  or ppl on hand to direct, help boats to get thru faster...And generally members help out other to..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Steps" yes we know which ramp you use,stil no flush out facility,join club and get use of ramp or pay $15? as a casual user.

Yes ramp with facilities probably should come out of rates as not all play rugby etc but to play usually need to join a club,not everyone pays rates.

If there was a annual fee like Aussie,on average they pay $60 depends on state,they have water police,fairly decent ramps from what I have seen. $60 is not a lot of money considering 4 x launches at kkb,have a fairly decent fishery inspectors at work with Bloody frightening fines (no wet bus tickets)

Need  help at sea in NZ and not  a coastguard member very costly,and few do give false details so no chance of cost recovery.

How many private clubs around Auckland with pontoons/wash down facilities ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:14pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's bad enough in Whangarei over summer, I can only imagine what it's like in Auckland. My last time on a public ramp was really that. I could cope with it being busy, but not with the obnoxious behaviour. Joined the OBC after that. The best value $150/year I spend on fishing/boating by a very long way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:34pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep gulf harbour is just a POS on the weekends. Can anyone name a new boat ramp built in Auckland in last 20 years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:51pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why, given the size of the development at Gulf Harbour, didn't they build half a dozen ramps?

I heard a similar story from a work mate who went out in the middle of winter at Gulf Harbour and the queue to launch was out the entrance way and down past the toilet block  - the trailers parked miles away. I winter!

i caught the ferry to work on Friday from Half Moon Bay and it was absolute chaos down there - trailer park full by 7.15 (commuters take up the rest of the parks) and trailers up all the side streets later in the day.

Half the tradies in east Auckland were out fishing. "Sorry, my other job's running over time, I won't be able to make it to your place today!".

Thousands more homes in the Silverdale area, thousands more in Flat Bush towards Manukau. Plenty of those people have boats, all heading to the same old ramps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:59am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Thousands more homes in the Silverdale area, thousands more in Flat Bush towards Manukau. Plenty of those people have boats, all heading to the same old ramps.

Given the incompetence and mis-management of Auckland's growth has been going on for decades to the point we're dumping raw sewage into the harbour every time we have significant rain, I wouldn't hold your breath for better launching facilities!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:22am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Given the incompetence and mis-management of Auckland's growth has been going on for decades to the point we're dumping raw sewage into the harbour every time we have significant rain, I wouldn't hold your breath for better launching facilities!
Dagwood,seeing how your involved with coastguard,how many do a runner(Not pay up)non members?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Steps" yes we know which ramp you use,stil no flush out facility,join club and get use of ramp or pay $15? as a casual user.

Really? no flush down,, wish someone told me that earlier, wonder what that stuff is that comes out the hose...

Far more than you think..
 And in some case far more than just  1 wash down facility...
 Tolling posts again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:50am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Dagwood,seeing how your involved with coastguard,how many do a runner(Not pay up)non members?

Not too sure to be honest. I think it's got quite a lot better than it used to be. Perhaps due to better systems and bit of a firmer stance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:04am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Really? no flush down,, wish someone told me that earlier, wonder what that stuff is that comes out the hose...

Far more than you think..
 And in some case far more than just  1 wash down facility...
 Tolling posts again?
last time I was at kkb there was no hose,I can only think of 3 private ramps in Auckland KKB OBC and Maraetai, KKB being closest to bottom end is marvelous set up,almost all tide and pontoons,last time at maraetai was with a member and low tide was not much fun.

The point is if we paid a fee then we can have some say on the matters,you could argue you pay fuel tax so do many others,with the increasing boating numbers there will be a time for a fee/saftey/skipper/ramp users etc and I would suspect its not to far away.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:01pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was in that mayhem at GH ramp on Friday too. I had a queue of 18 boats ahead of me and took 1 hour 20 mins to get out. Big ups to having a Minn Kota electric motor to anchor lock me in the queue. But as letsgettem says there were plenty of idiots that couldn't/wouldn't keep there boats in position and plenty of fend offs and collisions. When I eventually got out there were 33 boats in the queue and judging by the number of parked trailer right down the drive there were a couple of hundred still to come in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:23pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

last time I was at kkb there was no hose,...

Havnt been there for 4 or 5 yrs now..
 Cant comment..not the ramp WE use.

But was on someone elses boat.. back then.. great set up, ppl helping, parking for members looked good..

When I eventually got out there were 33 boats in the queue and judging by the number of parked trailer right down the drive there were a couple of hundred still to come in.

Watched local ramps where parking goes way up the road..
We reckoned most of the 'back up' was caused by those who need a packed lunch for the hike back to the trailer...waiting boat (s) congesting the ramp... then have to negoiste their way thru the mayhem of traffic at the top of the ramp...

Then there is the other alternative we do on busy days..we see everyone heading home mid arvo.. which we expected and planed for...so rather than waste time in a cue...head home later.

Which often fits in with parking full and big hike... plan to get to the ramp to launch late morning... when the pre dawn early birds are heading back in

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

jeez, consider myself lucky down here. yes it can be busy in summer at the ramp at weekends, but this sounds on another level!!
Page  123>