Takatu Point

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takatu Point
    Posted: 09 Apr 2003 at 10:26pm
Rockhopper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tokatu Point ( I've seen it spelt both ways)

Tokatu Point is located at the end of the Tawahanui Regional Park. The whole peninsular is a DOC reserve with both public and private areas. The drive north from Auckland takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Drive north into Warkworth and at the traffic lights follow the signs for Tawahanui and Matakana. Keep an eye out for turnoff to the peninsular a couple of k's past the vineyards. The last 5k's of track is gravel road. You eventually end up at the park rangers house at Matatuahu point. The park is closed off at night at the gates officially open at 7am. Drive through the gates and past the small lagoon , (past the campsite entrance, good campsite for families with children , DOC permit required ) and onto the main carpark. The area directly infront of you is a marine reserve so cannot be fished.
The foot path to the point is at the top of the carpark and from here you have an hour long walk up over the hill. The sign says 50 mins , that's the one way time. Unfortunately the footpath goes right over the top rising to 90 meters directly to the trig point. Drop down past the trig following the fence to a stile and carry on for another 10 minutes. The path splits here and you will need to bear left. A minute later you arrive at the lookout point.
The drop from the point to the beach is some 70 to 80 meters and is not to be attempted with children or when wet. There is no maintained path and there are steep drops on both sides. You'll need decent boots and all your gear in a rucksack because you'll need both hands. Carry the bare minimum of gear to reduce weight as there are sections where its bare rock and there is nothing to hold onto if you slip.
This ridge line marks the end of the marine reserve. Everything to the left is the reserve , everything to the right is open to all.
When you make it to the pebble beach you'll see several large rocks one about 30 meters long that stands about 2m above the high water about 50 meters from where the pebbles end. You'll have to jump a gully at low tide but its the best spot to fish from.Stay away from this point if there is any sort of swell as there are no reefs in front to break the waves. There are several other places to work from but probably the next best is a large rock at the end , easily spotted as there is some grass growing on top of it. There is enough room for two people to work comfortably with a bit of a cubby hole to duck out the wind. You'll need to scale the seaward face of the line of rocks , just keep going till you reach the end and you are looking into a wide gully. This is not a place for the feint hearted.
The best time to walk in is about 4 hours before high tide. If you are not happy about being cut off for a while then stay on the beach to the left hand side. Again you will need both hands free to climb onto the rocks as you have to climb two or three vertical rocks to get to the seaward side. The tide will come in behind the platform you are on so you will be cut off for about three to four hours in total.
So what are you going to catch , what's not here would be a better question. All the usual suspects are here , Kawahi , Snapper ,big Trevs , kingies , sharks. Whilst there on Sunday some of the local wildlife included seals , dolphins and a pod of Orca about 100m off shore. The fishing went completely dead for about 30 mins when they passed through. First bite of the day produced a 3K trev and it was hard on for most of the day. If you want to have a go at the kingfish then take a first aid kit those rocks are a sharp shale.  I walked in at about 8:30 AM had a high tide at 12:20 PM and baled out at 4 PM.  Salted Bonito on ledgers and pilies straylined into the guts always got a good reaction. Take lots of cheap terminal tackle as you'll get snagged heaps by fish diving behind rocks. In the 7 hours I spent there only three baits were retrieved untouched , around the time the larger wildlife turned up.
Possibly the best land based spot I've been to at an hours drive from Auckland. Just remember that what ever you catch you've got to get up that damm hill !!

You can download the hydrographic chart NZ5227 from http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz but have a look at this guys photos , http://www.spench.com/panos/nz/tawharanui2.html , this was taken from where the carpark is in the marine reserve. Follow the land all the way to the left to see what your in for  !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2003 at 10:47pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top report Rockhopper. Doesn't get much more complete than that! I liked the spench website too. Cool panorama and some very good photos to enhance the whole thing.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2003 at 11:00pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Nice Going Rockhopper..... brings back a few memorys, was a long time ago when i fished and dived up there i remember nearly getting locked in the place for the night.... was excellent fishing then, hows it now???

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2003 at 7:52am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent report Rockhopper!

I've wanted to fish up that way. Went up one day with my gear but the car was playing up so I decided to get back home. When I first heard about Takatu Point I was told it was an easy spot to get to but since then have heard from many people that's not how it is. No wonder the fishing is tops around there.

Have you ever fished at Te Arai Point?

That spench.com website is great! Couldn't get onto the hydrographic site though because of an error. If anyone else is having trouble try this link http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/page12.asp

Kingfishsi
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2003 at 11:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Can't really get to Te Arai , too far north. My lovely wife lets me go fishing whenever I want so I dare not abuse the privelidge by clearing off for the whole weekend.

Went to Schnapper rock up at Whangaparoa today. Nice day  but no fish. Got a bit wet , sat in a pool , sun burnt and knackered climbing back up the hill.

I have to be honest and say that I have got to get a tinny. There is nothing worse than comeing home empty handed ...again !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2003 at 7:16am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good stuff Rockhopper....very unselfish report there and highly commended!....

Looks like a top spot and will give it a try sometime....easy enough to drop people off on the rocks via boat??..(ie)...good landing spots available?
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 1:36pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

top spot will look at fishin dere soon... ..help we are four guys looking to film our own fishin show got a camera got editing gear need help wit getting out there and fishin as cheap as poss. if you can help email me at [email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 3:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Te Arai point , have found lots of sinkers here while swimming out to the rocks 200 meters off shore . WE usually see quite a few snapper in reasonably close to the point so well worth a go. Plenty of Kahawaii , the odd trev and good sized kingfish. Is shallow in close so reccommend an early or late start.

Acces easy - not much more than 1 to 1 and a quarter hours north of Orewa.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 3:47pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Russ, they were probably my sinkers. I've fished there a couple of times. I used to walk around the rocks to the right. One day I was heading back to the car after a couple of hours fishing and as I came round the corner I saw heaps of people catching huge kahawai straight off the beach... I was gutted, had no time left to even throw one bait in

Kingfishsi
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 4:09pm
jerm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Te Arai - a favourite spot and no doubt will be there in the next few days (at Mangawhai for 10 days). I tend to fish the beach at Te Arai as it's normally no problem getting a feed of Kawhai. I have fished the right hand side of the quarry a few times - years ago used to be very good off that rocky beach, now I'm not so sure. Jeremy from The Fish and Game Shop in Northcote has a nice bronzy story off that very same beach. He had a bunch of fish on his float speared about 700 meters out - by those rocks. Whilst swimming back in a bronzy started a tug of war ending in lost fish, as well as gun and float. After getting back to the rocks he saw his float pop back up - hoping his gun might still be attached he jumped back in and came back with float and chewed rope!

If any of the forum guys are at Mangawhai and intend fishing the Eastcoaster this weekend, I'll be at the weigh in for a beer both nights. Just look for the guy wearing Black Magic garb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 4:50pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jerm , I know Jeremy well , he was my partner at the 2000 spearfishing nationals and is a very good diver.

From the no Bull..it file - one of the guys was diving at Te Arai Point about 8-10 years ago and was eyeballed by a Broadbill estimated at 10 feet long. About a week later three were washed up not far away so assume it must have been sick.

As a spearfishing location those rocks just offshore can be superb. Stacks of mackeral and koheru providing feed to Dory up to 3kg , kingfish to nearly 30kg and some big snapper. Most snapper we see in real close to the point and can be berleyed easily.

KIngfishsi - I still have the sinkers , they have those wires coming out at right angles to help hold in sand. Happy to give them to you.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 5:37pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey best place to catch and land a kingie on corramandel is ........ where? fishing out towards matins bay at spot x we noted two x big kingies chasing pan sized snapper on rod over a sunset second too none we want to bag one and then release after catching on camera.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 6:29pm
pland View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rockhopper - mate you deserve a medal for getting down that cliff and back.

Talk a walk out to the Takatu Lookout yesterday with the wife and kids - nothing like a family walk for fishing reconnaissance. Would seriously suggest the boat option or a Kayak around from Anchor bay.

pland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 10:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

I havn't told you about the best bit !!

Down on the beach ,on my way to the ledge , jumping from one rock to the next the bottom of my rucksack burst open along the bottom seam. The gear was packed in pretty tight so it didn't all fall out at once. Took some line and tried to sew it back up using a hook as a needle but the material was too thick.

For the return I turned the runcksak upside down and tied the zippers closed with line then wore it upside down. If you have ever tried that ,it 's a real pain because all the straps dig in and the weight is all wrong.

On the way back I ended up walking with this Russian guy who was built like a tank with hands like bear paws who'd been fishing the other side. Turns out he was a physio for a Russian wrestleing team. When I got back to the carpark I was virtually locked up , anyway this guy , he did tell me his name , Sergi I think , comes over and offers to help. I sit on a bench and the next thing I know he's got one huge hand under my chin and another on the back of my head. For some reason my only thought  was " He's been useing pilchards"

Suddenly there several loud snaps from my neck and i'm looking left , another several and i'm looking right. A knee in the middle of my back with my hands on my head and several more worrying snaps as he pulls my elbows backwards and for several seconds I'm a bit stunned.

I've never had my back worked over but I can now throughly recomend it , the next morning the ony thing that ached was muscle pain in my legs. !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snayz snayz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:00pm
snayz snayz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate you heading out takatu point anytime soon?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:28am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In recent years ive noticed more spearos at the end, some hunted up my berley trail, very frustrating.
I took my pregnant wife down there which ended in a bit of tension. Now if I take guys down there and they get a bit timid I tell them to toughen up cause my wife could do it pregnant Big smile
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:49pm
infini View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

this thread is 12 years old ?
Photographer
Fishing addict
Cold beer enthusiast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy_Snappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:31pm
Hairy_Snappa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Still good bro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snayz snayz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:25am
snayz snayz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone keen too go for a fish next weekend? Im keen. Takatu point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:11pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Havent been up for a month or so but got some good fish there through winter.

You see all sorts of people out there nowdays, back in the 80s and 90s we hardly saw another person when fishing there.

Prefer weekdays now as it is quieter.

LedgeNZ LBG
Page  12>