Dredge advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dredge advice
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:39pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi , want to buy a small dredge for next summer .Just wanted to have a look a some pics of you other guys set ups .Want to  make a pole to fit a rod holder and want to see how you guys have your set up .Weights advice etc .Got a 5 meter boat and want to run 2 x rods only .

Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:03pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got a length of 32mm alloy from Ullrich aluminium cut to 1.8m lengths (made 3) and got them bent to 45degrees (any exhaust company can bend them for a box). Cut gimbal notched on the bottom, flatten end, drill and add caribena clip. I added 2 plastic boat cleats to wind the dredge rope around. Attach a stay line to the boat and your away. I use an 8lb fish shaped weight bought off trademe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:36pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Joker, how deep do you run the dredge.? where do you set your lures ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:52pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i also made mine.  But instead of bending the alloy etc I brought a bend rod holder extension and slotted the alloy into that.  Then used marine fittings from local chandlery shop to add pulley and line attachments such as such.  cost be about 110 all up, there are cheaper ways to do it im sure but this works well and I enjoyed building it with my old man  

There are numerous ways to run your dredge and its been done and talked about many times all over the net...  Some say deep, some say shallow -  the main this is not to let it break the surface.  Fairly simple really, set your 2 lures so they are running nice on the 3rd and 4th waves and set your dredge so the back lure are 2 or 3M in front your closest lure.  I like to run a deep diver in front of my dredge and a splashy surface lure the wave back.  Many will do it different I am sure.