Some of us never learn, so why do we even bother ?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some of us never learn, so why do we even bother ?
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:59pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Most of us have experienced bad days fishing & must admit I have had more than my share with some bordering on near disaster, with yesterdays, jaunt right up there with them.
The weather has been abysmal with winds force seldom conducive to boating. So when a window of opportunity arose Vinnie & myself decided to grab it despite several factors
being less than ideal ... namely :-

The tide times where we had opted to go meant an ultra early launch, it was the morning after the general election as well as the daylight savings changeover meant one hours less sleep. So it was a 4 am wakeup with a 4 - 45 departure for a 5 - 30 launch.

Arriving at the ramp it was darker than anticipated due to the lost hour compounded by a cloudy sky. Vinnie has been suffering from back pains so was decided would be best for him to be aboard for the launching, which at low tide in the dark where the ramp slope increases as well as slippery, was going to be a bit tricky. The first mishap occurred when the boat was flying off the trailer when the winch ratchet prematurely engaged halting the boat in mid flight & trapping the paul in the gears.

Managed to free it with difficultly so set the boat on its' way again only to have the ratchet engage again but this time it broke off under the force. Nevertheless managed to launch, park the wagon, run the outboard then begin a slow trip down the river in the dark. Nearing the harbour water we decided best to anchor until there was enough light to be able to see the channel markers, rather than risk running
aground on the banks on a falling tide. Vinnie decided he might as well drop a line whilst we were waiting to be rewarded not long after with a fish on. Well we thought it was a fish but turned out was an eel which was duly cut free & not long after we saw the nav lights from the oyster barge coming down the river. We were aware they would know their way even in the dark, so upped anchor asking if it was ok to follow them to which they kindly agreed so were safely on our way.

All went well until the point we went in our separate directions & we were congratulating ourselves on being so fortuitous, particularly as we had come prepared to set the flounder net, drag for scallops, then maybe get oysters as well as fish. Vinnie says he told me 3 times that we were heading for shallow water, but unfortunately I did not hear what he was saying & unfortunately a short time after had gone aground on a mud bank. The tide was dropping so urgent action was required if we were to get afloat again & as in the past I have managed to haul the boat with
the motor up into deeper water, therefore quickly decided to jump over the side to do likewise. This is where I almost found myself in serious trouble upon sinking up to my knees in the soft mud so as it was obvious there was no chance of moving the boat went to get back onboard only to find could not lift my feet even when holding onto the boat for when trying to lift one leg the weight increased on the other driving it even deeper so reckon I now know what it is like to be trapped in quick sand. Driven by the thought of still being stuck once the tide began to rise, desperately hauled on the boat whilst wriggling my feet with Vinnie assisting as best he could with his bad back & fortunately eventually
got back in the boat, wet, muddy & exhausted minus my crocs (footwear) that remained buried deep in the mud. So there we were stranded on the mud with no option but to wait out the tides until afloat again, which we estimated would be two hours at least but in fact took longer seemed like an eternity.
In fairness to myself would like to mention the depth sounder was playing up reading back & forth all sorts of depths, have just checked transducer to find it was pointing at 45 degrees upwards so hopefully that was the problem rather than the sounder having packed a sad.

When we finally got underway again decided best to give away any idea of setting the net given we had wasted so much time, plus setting / retrieving a net often fraught with problems & certainly did not net any more at that stage. We did however try hauling for scallops as the new season has only just opened & we were anxious to know how the beds were faring. We managed three & may have scored our limit had we decided to persevere but it is hard work so decided we would devote the rest of our time fishing. As it happens would have been better off trying for scallops as the fishing was the worst we had ever experienced on the Kaipara with only a few pitiful nibbles without hooking up apart from a small KY which was lost at the boat. It looked very much as if we were going to blank & had discussed facing the fact by calling it a day but changed our mind to changing our location once again for a final fish & Vinnie stated getting a few bites finally boating a well conditioned respectable size snapper, moreso than it appears to be in the pic.

As for myself I remained fishless despite one hefty strike so was back to the ramp & the prospect of a difficult retrieve considering the trailer winch was now malfunctioning.

As often happens after a bad day rather than be put off trying again, are usually determined to redeem yourself asap & so it is we are probably going out again Wednesday so am currently working on repairing the winch.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:19pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry to hear the tale of woe - but in all honesty I enjoyed as it is nice to know that things go wrong for others also and it is not just me!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Normally your plans for a days fishing fall into place perfect bazza. We all have bad days, glad your okey. Be plenty of fish next time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza,turn your hearing aids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:42pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You bother cause you like doing it. So keep doing it, keep fishing.

The shoe bit sounded like a bit of a croc ,but otherwise a top adventure.
And going by the last scenic pic of mud banks ,you were not out of your depth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:54pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bugger alright bazza..wishing you better luck next time    
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:40am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glad to hear you got out of the mud. I think this result means the next trip will be a beauty!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:12am
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great tale bazza!

The best stories are those of others misfortune (as long as no one gets hurt) - and we've all had days like that - but were too chicken to share!!!

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:03am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

probably the best place for the crocs LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:29am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha, good story Bazza, you certainly certainly deliver some of the most entertaining fishing trips available!

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:45am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hahaha thought only I did that.... put my boat onto an oyster bed in Piako river mouth and screwed gear box trying to back off. Choice. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:11pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

An honest report. We all have bad days and yes, you’re right, they make you more determined to get back out there and do it right (after a little sulk in my case).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:32pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

Haha, good story Bazza, you certainly certainly deliver some of the most entertaining fishing trips available!

Unfortunately you are correct Derek but reckon our ( memorable for the wrong reasons ) would top the list even against some notable competition.

By the tide had dropped significantly when the pic was taken & when I went over the side there was probably 300 mm or more of water on top of the mud that I had sunk down to my knees in. So not a nice feeling to be firmly stuck & can but wonder if there is mud that you would sink even deeper in. Had I been on my own, or further away from the boat may well still be there albeit not breathing, so will have a healthy regard for mud from now on & test it first with an oar or suchlike.

As far as I remember the time you & I had to haul the boat a km or more ( after I had swiped you with a slimy mackeral causing you to lose your $900 specs overboard ) into deeper water the bottom was reasonably firm so I was expecting this lot to be likewise. However on our trip I did incur oyster cuts to my feet also a couple of slices to my arm from whatever that I was oblivious to until back at the ramp & you asked where all the blood was coming from, then when I looked it then started to hurt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

Unfortunately you are correct Derek but reckon our ( memorable for the wrong reasons ) would top the list even against some notable competition.

By the tide had dropped significantly when the pic was taken & when I went over the side there was probably 300 mm or more of water on top of the mud that I had sunk down to my knees in. So not a nice feeling to be firmly stuck & can but wonder if there is mud that you would sink even deeper in. Had I been on my own, or further away from the boat may well still be there albeit not breathing, so will have a healthy regard for mud from now on & test it first with an oar or suchlike.

As far as I remember the time you & I had to haul the boat a km or more ( after I had swiped you with a slimy mackeral causing you to lose your $900 specs overboard ) into deeper water the bottom was reasonably firm so I was expecting this lot to be likewise. However on our trip I did incur oyster cuts to my feet also a couple of slices to my arm from whatever that I was oblivious to until back at the ramp & you asked where all the blood was coming from, then when I looked it then started to hurt.

Haha....It was a great day out...one of my most memorable fishing trips. I was a bit concerned about insurance but had no problem. They reckoned they have heard a lot more unbelievable stories. Would be curious to know some of them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:48pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember seeing all those birds "sitting" on the water and heading that way only to find the buggers were standing in about 4 inches!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Every cloud has a silver lining Baz..
 Look on the bright side..
 Everything that will go wrong this season has happened all on the one day..
 Bad fishing , run aground , winch broke , transducer error...

So all a postive outlook

Put navionic on your cell phone or tablet.. u know where you are within 3 to 5ms and can keep previous routes/ tracks thru creeks channels on good days, just incase a bank has moved since last survey.

Wish had a GPS back in the 60s/ early 70s on the manukau on those dark frosty fogy early morning starts...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:03pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Every cloud has a silver lining Baz..
 Look on the bright side..
 Everything that will go wrong this season has happened all on the one day..
 Bad fishing , run aground , winch broke , transducer error...

So all a postive outlook

Put navionic on your cell phone or tablet.. u know where you are within 3 to 5ms and can keep previous routes/ tracks thru creeks channels on good days, just incase a bank has moved since last survey.

Wish had a GPS back in the 60s/ early 70s on the manukau on those dark frosty fogy early morning starts...
you did "steps" it was called a lead lineLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:30am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with Steps on navionics App Bazza,,,
Was out with the bro inlaw on the Manukau when we got high & dry on a bank. Asked a Q on here & boom Navionics app was loaded on my phone brilliant it is too.....

Time for a look over the boat & trailer for anymore "maintenance" jobs before your next venture....
Amazing how a bad back never stops one from going fishing huh  lol
But sore when it comes to launching & retrieving.... must be like selective hearing.....

Hope your next trip is a great one Bazza, have heard the big boys starting to show up, go get em...

Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:59am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

Agree with Steps on navionics App Bazza,,,
Was out with the bro inlaw on the Manukau when we got high & dry on a bank. Asked a Q on here & boom Navionics app was loaded on my phone brilliant it is too.....

Time for a look over the boat & trailer for anymore "maintenance" jobs before your next venture....
Amazing how a bad back never stops one from going fishing huh  lol
But sore when it comes to launching & retrieving.... must be like selective hearing.....

Hope your next trip is a great one Bazza, have heard the big boys starting to show up, go get em...

Beer

We have decided to adopt your sage advice John, by going out tomorrow to the same spot.

If it does not produce this time reckon we will be reduced to queuing up behind this little guy !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:57pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Had our attempt to regain redemption yesterday by visiting the same spot as on Sunday that largely "turned to custard"
NB :- sorry that photos are out of sequence but the image functioning seems to have gone haywire once again, a real PITA !!

Pleased to report no major mishaps this time apart from my forgetting to change out of my slippers but fortunately Vinnie had brought along a spare pair of boat shoes. The forecast had been mostly favourable & was quite tranquil when leaving home, therefore was cause for concern when we struck black skies & heavy rain when about half way there, which set us thinking .... Oh no, not another day like Sunday !

On arrival at the ramp was rather obvious given the colour of the river water that the general area had received quite a dumping of rain so that added to our misgivings inasmuch as muddy fresh water running into the harbour generally does not auger well for fishing. Nevertheless we continued on our way despite a chilly wind that was making the conditions far more choppy than forecast. We did however find a reasonably sheltered locality to set the net, after which we set off line fishing.
Two hours later we had only had a few sporadic bites yet still nothing in the bin, plus with the wind against the tide, the conditions were less than comfortable, particularly being held side on to choppy white caps. Was getting close to low tide so thought we might as well dredge for scallops & hopefully score our limit of twenty each. Scallop dredging is usually hard work nevertheless quite rewarding when making a quota catch. But it was, for some unknown reason not to be on this particular day as a dozen or so runs only resulted in a few dead shells plus one undersized specimen whereas on Sunday a couple of experimental runs yielded a few ...
why would that be ???

As it was seemingly shaping up for a rerun of Sunday we opted to go ashore for some oysters comforted by the realisation that at least they HAD to be there, which of course they were so at least we were ahead on that score.

Tide had changed to incoming when we resumed fishing again, without a lot of confidence based on results to date but for whatever
reason the situation took a turn for the better ... however was no way that it could be worse. Was still hard fishing but at least there were fish coming aboard including a couple of beauties & the weather was now quite warm with glassy calm conditions, so life was good once again.
Page  12>