Bucktails/scoots

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bucktails/scoots
    Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 7:53pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been tying a fair few of these lately have been mainly using marabou feathers till I stumbled across some packets of bucktail pieces while looking at fish city in Hamilton so I had to oblige in buying some. all these lures are still waiting to be tested on the next weekend we get some fine weather

last couple of pics are some of my earlier ones

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 9:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some yrs back ( 5 or 6) I picked up a few random feathers, tinstle etc from the local emporium, then whipped them with a bt of 20lb fluro that was handy, on to soft bait weight.
At 1st caught a couple snaps but no where as good as SB or bait.
A few months later save Angry fish scootes so decided to try a couple others had tied .. diff colours  tinstle feathers and size...and it was warmer summer weather and it worked.
 Thinking back to the 1st attempt it was winter, SBs dont work quit as well in cooler seasons I have found.
How used them every now and then with mixed results.

Then the other night on Angry fish he described how he layered the stuff up rather than a simple 'hold all the stuff together in a bunch and whip on'
I do think that maybe the thick to make them work far better.

Which going on the pic above, is the way to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 12:08pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Some yrs back ( 5 or 6) I picked up a few random feathers, tinstle etc from the local emporium, then whipped them with a bt of 20lb fluro that was handy, on to soft bait weight.
At 1st caught a couple snaps but no where as good as SB or bait.
A few months later save Angry fish scootes so decided to try a couple others had tied .. diff colours  tinstle feathers and size...and it was warmer summer weather and it worked.
 Thinking back to the 1st attempt it was winter, SBs dont work quit as well in cooler seasons I have found.
How used them every now and then with mixed results.

Then the other night on Angry fish he described how he layered the stuff up rather than a simple 'hold all the stuff together in a bunch and whip on'
I do think that maybe the thick to make them work far better.

Which going on the pic above, is the way to go.

I do tie all my materials on bit by bit which is what I am used to doing from tying my own trout flies when I was fly fishing which is why I chose woolly bugger marabou as that stuff is good for movement and also used to love making flies that also contained deer hair or bucktail. some of my earlier ones prior to the ones in the photos look more like a streamer as I layered everything on top of the hook instead of working around the whole shank of the hook like I did with the ones in the above photos.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bop strayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 1:18pm
bop strayliner View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oooh, could you make me a couple? 🤗👍🏻
Just one more cast!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 6:55pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by bop strayliner bop strayliner wrote:

which ones are you after I need to buy more jigheads first as I have ran out of them. I have lost count of how many times I have been asked if I want to sell some so I give up I may as well make and sell a few to those who want them but after I have tested what I have made first to make sure they meet my expectations. I just don't know how much I should charge for them given the time taken and cost of materials as I have to buy everything at retail price. Mainly been tying them on berkley nitro heads but tried doing some on mustad darter heads yesterday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bryce_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 1:38pm
bryce_s View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My first ties.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:34pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have never tied a fly, or looked into it...
 Just used whippings a snells to put flasher on jig head and even stray line hooks.
 Going on the Big angry fish comments the other evening, its about "layering  up" each different flasher to make work well in the water.
 A simple whiping is not rocket science.. same as to stop a rope end unwinding.
So if say whip on 1st layer...but dont tuck tag un  loop for pull thru... then next layer, winding back up, then next layer wind down then loop thu tag and pull tag up underneath ????
 maybe use braid ??  light FC may give more layer separation..

Hunter you do this sort of stuff  right? would this work for a person just trying something out?

I do know even tieing up a 2 hook fixed keeper stray line, just cutting putting  flasher, maybe 3 colours under one of the snells is quite time consuming.. but not rocket science..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 6:49pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I have never tied a fly, or looked into it...
 Just used whippings a snells to put flasher on jig head and even stray line hooks.
 Going on the Big angry fish comments the other evening, its about "layering  up" each different flasher to make work well in the water.
 A simple whiping is not rocket science.. same as to stop a rope end unwinding.
So if say whip on 1st layer...but dont tuck tag un  loop for pull thru... then next layer, winding back up, then next layer wind down then loop thu tag and pull tag up underneath ????
 maybe use braid ??  light FC may give more layer separation..

Hunter you do this sort of stuff  right? would this work for a person just trying something out?

I do know even tieing up a 2 hook fixed keeper stray line, just cutting putting  flasher, maybe 3 colours under one of the snells is quite time consuming.. but not rocket science..

I most certainly do.

It is better to put a layer of thread down on the Jighead/hook first working from the eye to the gape of the hook, then put some fly tying cement over it leave the bobbin where you finished binding on the first layer of thread then start binding on your chosen materials working back towards the eye of the hook only tie off with a whip finish or a series of half hitches once you have completed making your lure. an improperly tied fly/lure will only lead to disappointment. 

As for making flashers it is easier to use thread to make your flasher before you snell your mono onto the hook not so time consuming or fiddly. the knot I use for joining the branches to the backbone is a double overhand knot tightened enough to form a figure 8, I then thread the branch of the flasher rig through those two loops that were formed then tie a clinched blood knot after tightening up that double overhand knot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My flashers for stray line straight under the snell, been doing it like that for a few yrs now... flasher is solid.. so well on that in most cases can reuse it several times.. it when loose a trace of foul it hard to recoverWink
 My ledger flashers are just a simple whip with 20lb fluo...again solid as..
 Did mess with cutting the ledger loops then snell the flasher on with the hook...again worked fine..but prefer the ledger loop cause hangs better.

I did try braid one but was fiddly and hard to tie off as quick and easy... dont have clamps and jigs as you have in the pics.  The fluro can pull up tight , a little stretch, then tuck the tag into the whip loop it seems to hold well, just dont wind to tight otherwise cant get the tag to pull up under the windings .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:27am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sunday's episode of Big Angry Fish showed that basically Nathan's Skutes are a Lefty's Deceiver (one of the most famous salt water fly patterns ever invented) tied on a jighead instead of a plain hook.

The footage showed Nathan tying in the paired saddle hackle feathers at the rear, and then building up the body with layers of various synthetic materials, Flashabou, Crystal Flash, Bucktail or Supreme Hair etc. In other episodes, he's used Skutes with rabbit fur strips (one tied either side of the body).
remember when tying, that the jighead will usually hang upside down, so construct the fly with the darker back on the underside as you look at it in the vice. A traditional salt fly will normally sit hook side down in the water, I presume.

Here are two images of the legendary Lefty Kreh's originals, from his own web page. All white was the first one he tied in the 1950s, and is a proven colour on salt water fish around the world.

As Lefty says, the Deceiver is a style, not a particular pattern. ie. you can use a multitude of different colours to suit.

there are lots of good Deceiver tutorials on the web. Here's one:
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Tying-Leftys-Deceiver/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 11:46am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Somewhere around here I have an original Lefty's Deceiver, given to me by the man himself.
He was in NZ about 1980, maybe a couple of years before
    & used some of my flies to fish the Tongariro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:39pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Come on Uncle when are likely to see McSkutes on the market, happy to test some for you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:01pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I noticed they were just flies tied on a jig head, and as I had just tied a shady lady squid fly from the pop fleyes book thought I'd try tying one of those on a jig head.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:04pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Come on Uncle when are likely to see McSkutes on the market, happy to test some for you

haha Craig, I was making them about 7-8 years ago.
Ask Kane about his use of them.Wink

There was also a guy from Taupo who started making them about 5 years ago~~think he might have given up tho'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 2:46pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

haha Craig, I was making them about 7-8 years ago.
Ask Kane about his use of them.Wink

There was also a guy from Taupo who started making them about 5 years ago~~think he might have given up tho'

Best you break into the old memory banks and put a few together even if they're only for me Wink
I watched Nathan & Milan catch some goodies on them so need something to better this bloke

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 4:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I noticed they were just flies tied on a jig head, and as I had just tied a shady lady squid fly from the pop fleyes book thought I'd try tying one of those on a jig head.

Great work, Kevin. That looks deadly. big moochers won't be able to resist. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 4:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Somewhere around here I have an original Lefty's Deceiver, given to me by the man himself.
He was in NZ about 1980, maybe a couple of years before
    & used some of my flies to fish the Tongariro.

Wow, that's a special possession, Uncle. Nice story. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

This is so cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:41pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have made a few on lighter jigheads with pheasant feathers for trout, they seem to work well, along with bigger versions of wooly buggers.
I have some bigger American buck tail jigs but haven't really used them much yet.
Page  123>