Scales for setting drags??

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:29am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If your setting Drags precisely for the fish your targeting, wot happens when something bigger jumps on? You end up over spooling, birds nest. with myself Snap Fish'n set them so if a  25-30 lb Da hits you don't want a mess, which iv'e lost a few in the past going to light. I do it all by feel, and adjust drag to size of fish when hooked....  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:37am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Geoff, yeah was thinking more about setting up game reels and reels I use when up at the three kings.
TBH I have only ever done it by feel for my snapper and local kingly fishing.
BUT a mate has done some reasonably controlled bench tests of some popular braid brands attempting to simulate shock loading which occurs at the strike. This test has revealed that manufacturers stated breaking strain is based on a test protocol that doesn't represent real world shock impact on the braided mainline.
In essence real world breaking value of most if not all braids is significantly lower than specified tested breaking strain WHEN tested in a way that is more representative of the shock impact of initial contact of a large fish.
That's not to say the manufacturers are lieing to us they report on results from their test protocols.
When we discussed his findings we realised the importance of a few things we all already knew.
1: Smooth drag no sudden sticking creating more shock loading potential.
2: When targeting big model kings or any big pelagic using quality shock leader as opposed to FC will give you a bit more give in your system. I have been doing this up at the three kings for a couple of years now.
On this second point I now only use FC for my litest fishing IE micro jigging and some slow pitch, the rest I now use shock leaders.
Hope this explains my need to be more accurate with my drag settings 😁
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:37am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Clem did an interesting summary write up on the braid tests, its somewhere on FB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:44am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate talk about interesting 👍
Gonna be servicing my drag stacks a lot more frequently now.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

Hey Geoff, yeah was thinking more about setting up game reels and reels I use when up at the three kings.
TBH I have only ever done it by feel for my snapper and local kingly fishing.
BUT a mate has done some reasonably controlled bench tests of some popular braid brands attempting to simulate shock loading which occurs at the strike. This test has revealed that manufacturers stated breaking strain is based on a test protocol that doesn't represent real world shock impact on the braided mainline.
In essence real world breaking value of most if not all braids is significantly lower than specified tested breaking strain WHEN tested in a way that is more representative of the shock impact of initial contact of a large fish.
That's not to say the manufacturers are lieing to us they report on results from their test protocols.
When we discussed his findings we realised the importance of a few things we all already knew.
1: Smooth drag no sudden sticking creating more shock loading potential.
2: When targeting big model kings or any big pelagic using quality shock leader as opposed to FC will give you a bit more give in your system. I have been doing this up at the three kings for a couple of years now.
On this second point I now only use FC for my litest fishing IE micro jigging and some slow pitch, the rest I now use shock leaders.
Hope this explains my need to be more accurate with my drag settings 😁
Cool, great Reply Pete. Info for all....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:24pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well....I always kept it simple......set the strike drag hard enough to be able to set the hook.......adjust drag to size of fish during early stage of fight....then leave it alone....i always set the initial drag by feel and then the ability to lift the fish without the drag slipping......and that was right for that fish......The only time i measured pre set drags was with my tlds which had a handy dial to set a range........then you have the  drag stack heating up during the fight(which changes things)as well as line getting lower on the spool(as said above).....so making it  a precise science is not going to happen pete....as long as you know what your breaking strain of your line is and what your max drag is of your reel...id focus more on the smoooooothness of your drag than exact drag amounts.....Teflon 0025 grease(best grease going for your drag washers imho).....Like you say the "shock leader" allows for some nice stretch in your set up.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 7:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im not high end game like you guys, but find the principles you use also apply to general fishing for a feed/ soft bait stray line on lighter gear.
Same princples smaller weight numbers basically

LBD above sort of sums it up for us
 After playing with rod in holder puling down with scales...then measuring drag directly off the end of the rod/ reel for each set up.
Rather than "feel" just pull rod out of rack, lay on bench, approx 4 1/3 turns gets into ball park.
The 10/15kg 6000 reels set  close to 1.5 kg and lighter soft bait rigs to just under 1 kg
Its enough to set a hook .. for general fish for a feed and the odd 15 lber..
If A snap pulls off the reel at that, you know its around 43 cm....1/4 turn
If still pulls high 40s.. another 1/4 turn
If still pulls  low to mid 50s.
 Havent caught enough over 60s to make a reliable call... lol

After rinsing rigs, let dry , wipe down etc, I have found the 4 x 1/3 turns is enough to release the drag on all the rods.. some more than the other.. having the same on all makes quick to set in ball park drag ...

I do like min drag for each individual fish.. If  a good fish pulls and drops the tip down, drag is substantially reduced, and run easyer.. 1/4 turn.. when the rod tip get high again, consistently then I usually ease up on the drag also...
  I only load the light gear, rods, reels , line, knots etc as much as required.
I use to simply wind on the drag without thought.. like they often do on Angry fish....tended to loose/ drop a few more fish, espec those with weaker mouths,  eg JD

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:12am
Titanium
Titanium

Another point on the Drag subject i use, once youv'e cleaned reels and rods after a day out and its time to store them in rod holders, shed or where ever unwind the drags on reels so there is no tension when stored. Was told it helps look after them. Don't know how much truth in it but mine have never let me down in all the years since iv'e been doing it. cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:45am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Another point on the Drag subject i use, once youv'e cleaned reels and rods after a day out and its time to store them in rod holders, shed or where ever unwind the drags on reels so there is no tension when stored. Was told it helps look after them. Don't know how much truth in it but mine have never let me down in all the years since iv'e been doing it. cheers....

More important on lever-drag reels due to the mechanism by which pressure is applied to the drag washers (cupped belleville washers that will, over a very long time, go flat) as opposed to spinning reels and star-drags which more or less just use a threaded post to apply the pressure (some have bellevilles too but they're much larger and only really used to even out the pressure applied by the knob/star)
If you have felt drags then leaving them under pressure can cause them to bind and get sticky; with greased carbon fibre it shouldn't be an issue, I would just give the line a short pull against the drag after not using the reel for a while just to get all the parts moving again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:21am
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Snappa Geoff]Another point on the Drag subject i use, once youv'e cleaned reels and rods after a day out and its time to store them in rod holders, shed or where ever unwind the drags on reels so there is no tension when stored. Was told it helps look after them. Don't know how much truth in it but mine have never let me down in all the years since iv'e been doing it. cheers.... [/QUOTE

Only thing to say about that is the drag must be set on strike when washing the reel before storing it as if in the free spool position the water can get into the drag system,

This is all pretty simple there is no set rule but when setting drags go 1/3 the line class for strike and then most reels will only go to 1/2 when on sunset
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Must be the middle of winter
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:08pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Buy,Sell & Exchange what??LOL Seems to have gotten quite complicated Wacko agree with Nirai. Bit like Game season no fish being caught lots of chatterBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:17pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

🤣🤣👍
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:38pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nirai and mad Brian. Is that a bad thing??? What's the point of even making a comment like that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 6:47am
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by home bouy home bouy wrote:

Nirai and mad Brian. Is that a bad thing??? What's the point of even making a comment like that

Take yourself a little less seriously home bouy? It is the middle of winter!
You would prefer
      * Mods best shift this into game fishing forum. It's morphed into a drag setting discussion, that's been covered many times over including techo Japanese drag setting tool & could be found by using forum search function. Agreed that's heavy going as search function has to wade through a lot of off season duplicated posts.

Opinions are like arseholes everybody has one.
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:13am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its actually spring guys LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spring weather is more unsettled.. its the cusp between the 2 main seasons

Reading discussions like these, its more sharing of ideas concepts.. not a full on right or wrong way.
 It is noticeable thu , those who have actually read the instruction booklets Wink......eg  leaving drags on till reel has dried after rinsing off.. and releasing on storage.. its similar to dont leave hand brakes on , espec on trailers when being stored....

Always willing to learn new ideas .. methods

Is that not what the forums are about?

Often wondered thu... just one of those abstract thoughts that pops up while cleaning servicing the reels..
if possible??
 "Got a big Snap on... can feel the head shakes"
 Turns out a big KY or something and the drag is grabbing ????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:39am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More to the original question =You know those scales you can buy from k mart......white clock face with red markings......Cheap and nasty but they do the job peteThumbs Up........I have had plenty of trouble with digital scales(prefer a spring to a bloody battery).....buy those and spend your money on something else mate.
GO THE ALL BLACKS.Clap
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:51am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm with Structfab & Kikbac when it comes to game rigs with lever drags - set them at home then leave the preset alone on the water. Not quite as easy with star drags, unless you have one with the 'click' position like some of the old Shimano baitcasters had - do any modern star drags have this feature now ?

For convenience I made these up years ago. Took a couple of hours, but now a quick way of presetting the drag with the line running through the guides & the rod with a working bend. Weights of 330g, 660g, 1kg, 2kg, 3kg, & 5 kg gives you every setting for 1-37kg if you preset to 1/3 line class.

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

=You know those scales you can buy from k mart......white clock face with red markings......Cheap and nasty but they do the job peteThumbs Up.......

Had 4 sets of those.. 'gifts from grandchildren and ppl using them for weighing bags for travelling.
 Actually check them... as mentioned above 1L water= 1kg
 They are WAY the hell off.. and right thru the range.. and im talking kgs out...

Others have found the same.. including for baggage flying over seas..

A set of digitals, a spray with lanoline and keep in a zip bag
Page  <12