The Introduction of Brown Trout to New Zealand

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Introduction of Brown Trout to New Zealand
    Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:12am
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys,

For the past 5 years I've been researching the introduction of brown trout to New Zealand. This year I teamed up with my friend and filmmaker Ben Pierce and together we produced a documentary on the introduction of brown trout to New Zealand. The full version will be released in the coming months but we've submitted a short version into a competition put on by the Royal Society of New Zealand. We need your help to win the competition!! You can vote for our film at this link: https://www.thinkable.org/submission_entries/D85JxV9n Signing up to vote takes 1s with Facebook and there is no spam involved - it's just so they can keep votes legitimate. 

By voting for us here you're helping us to be able to produce more films like this, so please take a minute, watch the film and give us a vote.

I can't embed the Vimeo film here, but you can see it at the following link: https://vimeo.com/233153296
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:21am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice job mate.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 1:56pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent work Jack! Well done Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:03pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes looks really good. Everyone has a brown trout passion or should have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:16pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Visited the Salmon ponds in Tasmania quite a few years ago & if memory serves me well ( often doesn't these days ) it was where our brown trout were originally sourced from.

The hatchery was originally set up in 1864 to breed salmon which they supposed, would go on to spawn in the nearby Derwent River, then migrate back & forth to sea thereby establishing a salmon industry.

Apparently that objective fell well short of expectations, so they began to focus more on hatching trout ... firstly rainbows from England & the US then later browns from Germany & in due course some of the brown progeny were shipped to NZ.

Badger obviously knows more about the history & origins than I do, therefore please feel free Jack to correct any errors in the above. 

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:29am
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty close really, Bazza.

Browns came from the UK via Tasmania, and later some German browns too. The rainbows all came via the West Coast of the US. Brook trout largely from the west coast too, despite their originating on the East Coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 2:51am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I thought the steelhead trout came from the Sonoma creek out of San Francisco?
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 6:47am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

I thought the steelhead trout came from the Sonoma creek out of San Francisco?

If by steelhead you are referring to rainbows, then isn't that what was stated ie the west coast of the US ?

It would seem that the records kept of the actual sequence of events was a tad sketchy, particularly as to the source of the original breed stock eg it is often speculated they came from the Sonoma creek & conversely the Russian river ( Calif )

Guess at the end of the day it does not matter too much where they came from as they have done ultra well here & over time have developed certain unique characteristics in their new home. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:34am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've read that Rainbows came from The Russian River, California and that the browns were from Loch Leven, Scotland??
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:10am
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FishB8 - Some browns came from Loch Leven (later on in the 1880s), but the majority were river stock from the Itchen and a couple of other streams. 

It's very hard to say definitively where our rainbows came from, and in reality there are likely to have been quite a number of different sources. The McLeod River seems to be the most likely, but I can't say that with much confidence as rainbows have only been a peripheral part of my research. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:18am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In reality though its a bit of a moot point though as to which river they came from, as the trout in the UK were introduced as well.  It just depends as to how far back you want to look at it really. 

The introduction into Australia and NZ is just more recent history.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:44am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've fished the McLeod with big dries there's a special section that you need tags for get water not big fish but nice water.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 2:39pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Completely coincidentally, a mate and I were having the rainbow discussion this morning and he sent me:  http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/xmlui/handle/10063/2046

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:30pm
Chaff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Fraser et al,

You made the statement Brown Trout were introduced to the UK. Are they native to the UK and Europe and introduced to the US?

Cheers

Al
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 7:45am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always thought that browns were native to UK & Ireland??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:12am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is my understanding that browns are indigenous to the UK. Rainbows were introduced there and have become a far more popular sports fish in terms of numbers at least. Interestingly, with the very rare exception, rainbows don't breed in the UK, so virtually all fish are stocked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 11:55am
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Curious about that too, Fraser. Brown trout are native to the UK so not really sure what you mean by that. 

Mighty Boosh (great name!) I fished the Derbyshire Wye a few years ago, which has one of relatively few self-sustaining populations of rainbows. Though I slightly question how self-sustaining it is, as there are a number of connected mill races that are stocked with bloody enormous rainbows as a put and take fishery - some of these have to get into the main stream. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 1:08pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe brown trout are the only true native species in the U.K.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 1:11pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

I've read that Rainbows came from The Russian River, California and that the browns were from Loch Leven, Scotland??

Many many years ago i used to fish Lake Marymere in the Canterbury high country. Big beautiful yellow flanked coloured fish that were reputed to be "pure" Loch Leven trout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 7:43am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was brought up in the UK and my mum was from County Mayo in Ireland.
As a kid, I'd fish for perch in a lake using a float and worms. Used to see some good rises from trout.
The river was trout-infested...so many small browns. Good breeding territory but obviously too many for the available food.
The colours of the trout varied from silver to deep yellow.
River was a peat-stained fast flowing - I was only a worm fisher and when we had a flood, the trout would go on a feeding frenzy as the river rose. 1 worm could catch a few fish - no catch and release.
Small trout cooked on the open fire in peat....no electricity until the 70s.
Perch up to 4 lb...tasted better than trout!
Page  12>