NZCG vs MNZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NZCG vs MNZ
    Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:49pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was having a discussion with a friend today regarding skipper qualifications. Subject of coastguard requirements to skipper their vessels which have to be in survey & crewed accordingly. My friend had offered his services should they need to do rescue outside of 12m but apparently he was told he could not act as skipper on a coastguard vessel as he was not qualified yet he holds a MNZ Coastal skippers ticket as he's an ex commercial fisherman. I would suspect that to skipper a coast guard vessel you would need to hold at least a ILM/SRL ticket and this only allows holder to a 12 mile inshore limit.
With all coast vessels needing to be in survey & MOSS their skippers would have to hold appropriate tickets or do they have some sort of exemption, just wonder how many CC vessels may be operating with unqualified people.
Can anyone here clarify this for me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 3:44am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

perhaps need to ask mnz/cg but imo he would qualify,it is a volunteer organisation so who would want to go to great expense to be a volunteer??
other side would be if he was out at say 25nm and a rescue call came in his services would be gratefully received.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:00am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It is a CNZ requirement that all Coastguard Skippers hold what Maritime NZ refer to as an ISC, an industry Specific Certificate. 

Essentially Coastguard runs a training framework designed to meet the needs of Coastguard work that is approved and regularly audited by Maritime NZ. Volunteers who progress through the matrix and have the approval of their unit can ultimately obtain an ISC to master a Coastguard Rescue Vessel.

Someone joining Coastguard with an existing qualification such as an ILM or SRL can have some components of the training "RPLd" or covered by Recognition of Prior Learning but there will be some components that they will have to cover off before a CNZ ISC will be issued.

An ISC is specific to a Coastguard Vessel(s) and area(s) and isn't transferable to other commercial vessels.

Howzat! :-) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:22am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Dagwood, will pass this on next time Im talking to my mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:49am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If your mate is interested in taking it further, I'd suggest he contacts the unit's UTO or Unit Training Officer to get more information.