A solo day surfcasting from the bricks off the Bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A solo day surfcasting from the bricks off the Bay
    Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:23am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

(Sorry a bit of wind noise in this one) and try not to bag the Penn promo Smile sorry just use these somewhere else but thought you may like to watch...

Wednesday heading home from work I had that ERGE to go for a quiet flick of the bricks - getting home I loaded up the wagon with my little chilli, a little box of tackle and my surfcaster and headed down the Bay. Every now and then it's great to have those special fishing times and great when a plan comes together, once again I found myself at my low tide spot with the wrong tides but it was more to just get a line wet. Dead low was around 8.00 and getting there just after 4.30 I was still able to fish it due to the long shelve from the shore - as the tide receded I followed it in hope I still may pick a fish or two up.

My first cast saw me catch a little Kelpie roughly around 33cm and I wasn't even out to my spot yet - I let this little fella go in hope for a few better mods. After that it went pretty quiet but with the wind dying and the Stars starting to come out It was just magic anyway - There's nothing like standing on the bricks, no noise, wind dying watching the sun go down. As it reached low tide I was right out at my spot in the darkness and the bites started to really come on - every bait got a bite or hit as soon as it hit the water.

I was missing quiet a few fish so decided to put a keeper on and from then on it was all go - a bait went out a fish came in. I couldn't even put the rod down and as soon as I wound the slack up I already had fish hammering the baits, it was just turning out to be one of those magic arvo's alright. I was hoping for a couple of big hits from some moochers but it never really happened but with 5 nice fish in the bin 35-50cm once the tide turned and pushed me back off my spot I left and with the fish still biting....

What a perfect end to a perfect arvo fishing my local bricks

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 2:55am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work brother... mint way to spend the arvo!!
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 8:10am
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish close to home

Often use that same rig, but tie a figure eight loop to make the double, then uni-knot onto hook.
Haven't tried with keeper, but seemed to the damage, especially with the winter snapper a bit more soft on the bite.

Cool vid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:29pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cheers guys

Yip great being close to home and enough for a feed Smile not as good as it use to be back in the early 90's where the average fish was 8-10lb.

Tight lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lafayette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 11:04am
Lafayette View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Jason what rod are you using ? seems to cast light weights really well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:27pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Lafayette Lafayette wrote:

Hi Jason what rod are you using ? seems to cast light weights really well.

Hi Lafayette

The one in the vid is a 2piece 12ft Penn Prevail - can also come down to what line your running and what reel you use etc - the reel is a Penn Longcast reel. A LC reel will cast a lot better as it is slower oscillating which in tern lays the line better on the spool than a standard reel.

Cheers Jas