Wicked Thursday! Beaut Snaps Mokau....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wicked Thursday! Beaut Snaps Mokau....
    Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:28pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, with the past few weeks of heavy rain and crap weather behind us now, was great to be able to fish again with my Brother in brilliant Sunshine and calm seas. Like the last post when we fished Mick was on his week off the Oil drilling Rig. We started the day at 6.30 a.m scooping Whitebait at Mokau river mouth. Got enough for a decent feed, but our main goal was Fish'n. We were rigged up and out by 9.30. Straight out to our best spot lined up me land marks and down went the pickBig smile Straight away into Kahawai on the Sabikis like the last previous trips. The Snaps kept well away for the first one and a half hours, then finally they sniffed out our big fresh Strayline Baits! First few landed five odd kg's followed by the odd bigger one. A few other local boats were out wide, one with friends  on called us up as fishing was hard. Quick reply was Mick and I are into them come and anchor near if you decide to move. Half an hour passed they decided to move and we had company close enough to talk. Some bigger Snaps turned up right on cue, Screaming runs, great playing action. In a space of half and hour we caught four good fish well over twenty pounds. We were letting them go as we had a bin of lovely eating size, then the call came from the other boat keep a few for us as they would take e'm! We did get two more Goodies and another five kg snap which we gave away. My Friends got a couple of smaller fish so appreciated the ones we pulled up and gave them before we headed in. Sometimes Mick and I get in wot i call a zone, the Big Snaps come to us and we both know where to cast, where to throw the chopped up Kahawai bodies and we have them hanging around for hours. Got a couple of great shots of fish and the lovely conditions. First photo myself dehooking a 20 plus lbda at side of boat to be tail splashed as it zoomed off! Mick holding one of his good ones and myself holding the two we gave away.Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:01am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no wind or rain,should of been working now GeoffLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:20am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just another day in paradise, whitebait entrée, and Snappa for the main.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:40am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow Geoff good you got out Rob of Venturer charters at Kawhia said our trip out last Wednesday was his first in 3 weeks... amazing fish as always the ones you gave away I would die for.....
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:47am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What impresses me - other than the quality of the fish - is that your reports almost always involve incredible patience at the start.
1.5 hours without a decent bite would see most fishos pull the pick and move, but you know your spots, and trust your technique honed over many, many hours of fishing.
Awesome stuff. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 1:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

What impresses me - other than the quality of the fish - is that your reports almost always involve incredible patience at the start.
1.5 hours without a decent bite would see most fishos pull the pick and move, but you know your spots, and trust your technique honed over many, many hours of fishing.
Awesome stuff. 
Thanks for kind wordsTamure Kid! on land iv'e got bugger all patientsLOL Get me out on the water i love the waiting game on will the Snaps turn up or won't they. nine times out of ten they come so i haven't changed my methods since i joined the forum TK just refined and tweeked them a bit. Enjoy sharing and helping guys out on to a good Snap when they have visited here. Cheers...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 2:55pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great results as always Geoff.ClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:57pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome stuff once again Geoff. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous. I'm interested in your kahawai technique though. You say sabikis are the string of tiny hooks or something bigger. Baited or not? Do you try whole pillies or other bait or just fresh kahawai. I think this must be the key to the Biggie's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:23pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up Nice Geoff. You have the best spot in the country, when the weather lets you out. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Awesome stuff once again Geoff. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous. I'm interested in your kahawai technique though. You say sabikis are the string of tiny hooks or something bigger. Baited or not? Do you try whole pillies or other bait or just fresh kahawai. I think this must be the key to the Biggie's.
Hi CrayZfish, most sabiki's with the gold hooks you buy are a waste of time if a big Kahawai jumps on. I make my own with strong little circle hooks and a big Fluro ball above hook. Small cube of pilly and down she goes! Fresh is best Kahawai, Barracouta, Mackerall, Gurnhard. Pillies if none of the above, but they usually get them off before striking. Here's a pic of a butterflied kahawai i would typically rig up for a big Snap. Whole big heads good as well. Most baits i cast out are on average a foot long  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 8:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Thumbs Up Nice Geoff. You have the best spot in the country, when the weather lets you out. 

Cheers krow, Yep its a little hidden gem alright! Definiately on par with the far north where most fisho's go to chase Big SnapsBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:01pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

QUOTE=CrayZfish] Awesome stuff once again Geoff. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous. I'm interested in your kahawai technique though. You say sabikis are the string of tiny hooks or something bigger. Baited or not? Do you try whole pillies or other bait or just fresh kahawai. I think this must be the key to the Biggie's.[/QUOTE]
A few months ago, Sole M8 and I made the trip to Mokau to take on Geoff, Mick and a couple of other blokes in a mini comp. We'd bought frozen baits as most of us usually do. Bullet tuna and some other types. We fished right along side to Geoff and witnessed them releasing big snaps, one after the other. After most of the day had passed and we'd caught @#$% all, a ky was caught and baited up as Geoff had showed me on a previous trip. Within 5 minutes I got a hit. I learnt an important lesson that day that fresh bait is best in Mokau.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:14am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

QUOTE=CrayZfish] Awesome stuff once again Geoff. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous. I'm interested in your kahawai technique though. You say sabikis are the string of tiny hooks or something bigger. Baited or not? Do you try whole pillies or other bait or just fresh kahawai. I think this must be the key to the Biggie's.

A few months ago, Sole M8 and I made the trip to Mokau to take on Geoff, Mick and a couple of other blokes in a mini comp. We'd bought frozen baits as most of us usually do. Bullet tuna and some other types. We fished right along side to Geoff and witnessed them releasing big snaps, one after the other. After most of the day had passed and we'd caught @#$% all, a ky was caught and baited up as Geoff had showed me on a previous trip. Within 5 minutes I got a hit. I learnt an important lesson that day that fresh bait is best in Mokau.[/QUOTE] can be embarrassing Wink or as you did copy what works LOL - nothing beats local knowledge IMO  - what works in an area is what works period and it can be different everywhere.

I really appreciate the generous sharing.....if I am going to a new spot be Kawhia, Taupo I try and get some local knowledge first.

I would rate Geoffs local knowledge very highly - look at the results Thumbs Up I had a great time going out with him - highly recommended!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonga-tui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 4:42pm
tonga-tui View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Geoff got out of Tonga today had a bloody epic day kept 6 or so fish around the 4kg mark and put back a decent fish but couldn't really get a good photo of it I'll flick a couple photos through to Heidi on Facebook for you to have a geese at