Alumetron

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alumetron
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:30am
Mr X View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone have experience with Alumetron?

It seems a number of local shops stock it but I can't find any user reviews other than the customer feedback that the manufacturer posted online.

https://www.auroramarine.com/store/alumetron.html

Any other recommendations to keep a raw alloy boat looking good with low'ish maintenance?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 3:14pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This line on the website cracked me up: -

"It even gives the aluminium a smooth silky feel which women appreciate when swimming near the boat."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 5:26pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Put some on my fc430cc  - i think it is  a good product. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:45pm
Mr X View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the feedback Redfinger. May I ask, how long have you had it on your boat and do you have to re-apply it often?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had it on for about 8 months now - havent reapplied yet. Probably should!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:02pm
Mr X View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Redfinger. I am definitely interested to see how long it lasts. It sounds like it is fairly easy to apply
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:34pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

more info please Russ
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Chaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 1:51pm
Captain Chaos View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Redfinger did you DIY it?  was it easy enough and how much prep and coats did you do??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 3:52pm
Mr X View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

From what I can tell it is fairly easy to do it. Assuming your boat alu is in good shape and clean, you just use a rag and wipe 4 overlapping coats on. If your alu is already oxidized too much, you would need to do an acid wash beforehand.

On the fine print of the guarantee it states up to 3 years (up to 5 if you combine it with another product). Now that should like very little work assuming it lasts 3 years. But it seems Redfinger suggests it needs to be re-applied more often.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 5:30pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry guys been away - back at work tomorrow .
I deliberately did one side with it , and the console and one side not - from new nearly a year ago now. Not a massive difference in applied areas and not applied but I think worth doing all the same. I applied mine with a rag and think I did two coats but my memory is crap.. The rep for the product company at the boat show did say best done with new boats and I can understand that.