New wading boots - recommendations?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New wading boots - recommendations?
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I need to get some replacement wading boots to go with socking foot breathables - for use on the Tongariro etc. I usually walk a fair bit, and enjoy fishing bouldery areas.

My Chotas have given up the ghost after many years.

Keen to get recommendations on boots. Simms?

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:30am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Simms G3 boots very comfortable to walk long ways.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:42am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have Riverworks Z series which I am very happy with, I chose them over the X series only because they were a bit lighter and I do a bit of walking in them too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:42am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi mate,

I went through this same dilemma just recently.

I've had Riverworks and used them before, but they just don't last the distance unfortunately.

To their credit though, the company did replace my new boots after I contacted them and let them know.
They literally fell apart after 6 months, but those replaced ones have also died a slow agonising death.

I've recently gone over to Simms - expensive, but hopefully worth the cost vs use/life expectancy.

They look the goods and from reviews should have a few seasons in them. I've done a few km's in them already and they are pretty comfortable, so would recommend.

Good luck.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:59pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have Simms Freestones, they're 5 years old, get used about 10-15 days a year and they're still going strong. On their 3rd pair of laces though.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 4:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great feedback so far, guys.
I've got Riverworks waders and had some issues with leaks at the knee in one pair, but they fixed them. 

Jaapie, it is the Simms guide boots you've got, or one of the other models?

Hopefully H&F at Botany has a decent range. My last boots were bought at the little Creel tackle store in Turangi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:34am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@Tamure Kid

Yes mate - Simms G3 Guide Boots with vibram soles.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:17am
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use Simms freestones. I do a fair bit of walking and they're holding up really well. Very comfortable as well so definitely recommend. 

I've had riverworks waders and boots in the past. Both have been terrible experiences tbh. Waders leaked the first time i fished with them and the boots just fell apart after about 6 months 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:38am
Titanium
Titanium

Ditto, re the waders. My trusty old Magnum neoprenes did years of walking from Red Hut to Cliff Pool etc before even starting to have issues at the inside knees. But walking all that way in gumboots is nobody's idea of comfort.
Breathables were a revelation in terms of comfort, but no fun having damp lower legs from leaks.
I lament the days of felt soles, they made wading tails of pools a breeze. 

I'll check out the Simms range next weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:50am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Must admit had great service from my now well used Simms G3s now going for the latest model as a replacement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:09pm
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I bought some Redington boots earlier in the year and they have performed great over winter both walking up the river and on 3 hour tramps to get to backcountry huts for fishing. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn while fishing, would definitely buy them again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:31pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for adding that option into the mix.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:33am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea Redington have really lifted there range in recent years.  There rods have always been outstanding, now it seems the rest of there range is catching up! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:07am
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you're willing to spend the money, my recommendation would be the Simms Guide G3 boots as well. Another model that I liked, before they got stolen, were the Simms Rivershed, but I'm not sure if they are still available. 
I went through Riverworks, Vision, Korkers and Scierra models before and none of them came even close to the comfort and longetivity of the G3. Compared to all the other boots, I feel like I'm wearing a good pair of hiking boots when taking longer walks in the Simms. 
I've heard good stuff of the newer Redington gear, but haven't tried it myself...maybe in a few years when the Simms have given up Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:42am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

May well be wise to approach any boots with caution that have interchangeable soles or wire laces such a some models of the Korkers.

I purchased a pair & have found the grip provided quite disappointing & altho it has  not occurred as yet am usually concerned that the lacing system could malfunction.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:09am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea iv had the interchangeable sole Korkers in years past.  Found them pretty good but that was before I moved to Otago. I know the rivers down here and the KM i do in my boots (Simms G3's) these days would kill the Korker interchangeable sole system.

As for the Boa lacing system though iv heard very good things about them.   Simms do them on some of there boots but the NZ distributor only brings in the Rivertec 2 in a Boa lacing system.  Iv got two mates with them and there all very happy with the system after a good 2 seasons.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:40pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm using the Simms G3 Guides at the mo and they are awesome! Had the Simm's Headwaters prior but I like the Guides better, very comfy and thus far lasting very well, not cheap, but what the hell is when it comes to fishing gear!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good to hear from a Tongariro guru. I presume you find there's good grip on the G3s, giving you solid footing in the upper river pools?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:38pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ha, no guru mate, just like good gear that works, just ask Rene Vaz, he's sick of hearing me whinge about the shortcomings of modern gear! The G3's are very good on the rocks, they ain't no felt sole... but probably the best I've used for a while, the older Riverworks were also ok with the Vibram sole. OR you could just fish didymo infested rivers... that stuff is super-grippy to wade on! Wink

I always run some off-the-shelf orthotics in my wading boots to help with fit as I find them pretty spacious even with a wader sock or neoprene sock, makes a HUGE difference to walking comfort IMO, but then again I have tiny wee ladies size 9 feet!

Wading boots for me, also double as tramping boots, so I make sure they work 100% and some had some boots fall apart in the upper Ngaruroro once and had to walk out with them hacked up as improvised jandal's... wasn't fun!

Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:28am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

With the Simms boots you can get off the shelf studs that you can screw in yourself For extra grip.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Page  12>