No Diawa for TV shows

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 10:44am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is Yeehaa still an authorised service dealer for mag sealed reels, mate? I read somewthere a while ago that they'd been given the stamp of approval to presumably do the servicing on site.

My issue with Daiwa reels in NZ is the price - there's something very odd about the retail price point here compared to Australia, let alone Japan/USA. Sometimes nearly double. I know the NZ market is very small, but that doesn't seem to worry Shimano, whose reels are priced very well here when you do a 'Big Mac' style international price comparison.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:16am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah they are. I serviced my own Certate 2508 RH as it doesnt have magseal bearings being the earlier model but it does have magseal at the spool shaft. However I needed some magseal oil because original oil was long gone so they were helpful at Yeehaa to top me up. Other parts that needed replacing I sourced myself from Plat. 

Daiwa prices in NZ are a bit skewed I agree but I think they are working on balancing the price to match worldwide. Will be interesting to see what happens there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:17am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

would you rather a company invests it's money in quality, or marketing? If Shimano are increasing their spending on marketing, do you think that's coming off their bottom line.....Hell no! They'll be skimping somewhere else. Notice all of the Ferrai, Meserati,  McLaren, TVR car adds on the TV? **** quality then is it? Realistically NZ prob considered a too small a market. Nothing to do with quality at all. I own both, but have to service my Shimano's more often....fact!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:27am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

My issue with Daiwa reels in NZ is the price - there's something very odd about the retail price point here compared to Australia, let alone Japan/USA. Sometimes nearly double. I know the NZ market is very small, but that doesn't seem to worry Shimano, whose reels are priced very well here when you do a 'Big Mac' style international price comparison.

I think you'll find it's due to different business models - Shimano prices were high here in comparison to the rest of the world 3 or 4 years ago (ie as per Daiwa) as both were going through an NZ importer/distributor. Shimano "bought out" the distributor and are now going direct - hence we get to enjoying international equal pricing. Daiwa are still going through a distributor - hence the higher prices and smaller marketing budget.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:39am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting. Thanks for that input. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:39pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm still not convinced they are as good as other brands....
When you're getting paid to fish, why would you use gear that's only average at best...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:50pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

I'm still not convinced they are as good as other brands....
When you're getting paid to fish, why would you use gear that's only average at best...
LOL no one is paying them to fish, I can guarantee that. They are being payed to show and mention products and brand names. The fishing is merely a method of attracting an audience. All be it fishing and boating items, but if they just fished and didn't show and mention brands.....no money would change hands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 2:22pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm truly amazed by the apparent effectiveness of TV marketing by some of these responses. It clearly works, and forms the basis of many opinions. It's a funny ol world we live in indeed! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 3:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

I'm truly amazed by the apparent effectiveness of TV marketing by some of these responses. It clearly works, and forms the basis of many opinions. It's a funny ol world we live in indeed! 

You are right to a certain extent. But to say a company like Shimano has built its reputation from marketing and advertising would be more than misleading too. I'd say the reputation was built on the backs of Stella's, Tiagra's, Trinidads, TLD's, Baitrunners, Curado, Calcutta etc.Sure Daiwa can say they have equal but in technology terms they have gone down a road with magseal no one has followed with a variation on yet. Maybe you don't need to service as often but its a bloody headache when you do and more expensive, a bottle of magseal is about 5k for a service guy to buy. 

Should also say doing a fishing show using just TLD's and Baitrunners you could still do a more than fine job. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:16pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

You are right to a certain extent. But to say a company like Shimano has built its reputation from marketing and advertising would be more than misleading too. I'd say the reputation was built on the backs of Stella's, Tiagra's, Trinidads, TLD's, Baitrunners, Curado, Calcutta etc.Sure Daiwa can say they have equal but in technology terms they have gone down a road with magseal no one has followed with a variation on yet. Maybe you don't need to service as often but its a bloody headache when you do and more expensive, a bottle of magseal is about 5k for a service guy to buy. 

Should also say doing a fishing show using just TLD's and Baitrunners you could still do a more than fine job. 
oh I agree on that. I'm not talking magseal, only have one of those. My Diawa's are mostly pre-magseal certates & Saltiga's. The most bullet proof reels I have, and expect to ever own.
My shimano curado (again the older DHSV) has a well earned spot (if maintained)
And the old Penn International game reels too.
I'm not a huge fan of modern engineering across the board if I'm honest, reckon the stella's too have taken a step backwards from the previous SW, as have the curados
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I actually think your missing out there structfab. The new body shape on the new Shimano spin range does make an overall difference on how the reel fits the rod it feel a better balance. Plus if you don't own and use you can't really judge Tongue 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 5:55pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Structfab brought up the Curados, that I do have a bit of experience with.

I still have my 3 old DHSVs, and there is no doubt in my mind they're far better quality than the more recent Curados that I've used and biffed (the old ones made in Japan, the new ones not, BTW).

Similar with my SL30 Daiwas; my new ones (that purple/blue colour with black) are not the quality of the old black/gold ones. (They're not bad reels, but I do get to compare old with new - and my and son Nick's old ones were damn near unbreakable. He finally wore out the drags on his, eventually, by years of snapper fishing off the rocks, followed by then loading them with 50lb braid and livebaiting for kingfish: cruel and unusual treatment. The gears still seem fine. I have to persuade him to get the drag washers replaced...)

And that's why the price can come down. The specification for successive models of the "same" reels seems not to be the same: it seems to me to decline.

Meanwhile, a new-to-NZ model of reel comes in at a price point where this one (Curado, Sloshy) perched before. Newer/brighter/better, yeah, right.

YMMV, as always.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:01pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah fair call on the SWSB's (I don't own) , I'll take a step back. I base my reel collection on past experience and advice from a couple of service experts. Rods I use never get a mention on the TV. Marketing on TV would suggest shimano rods are the best..... We all know that's a stretch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 6:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is something I agree on, rods. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:05pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Narrrp diawa is not a premium brand....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:11pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And yes they are payed to fish, it's there job is it not? If they didn't catch fish there would be no tv series...
I have not mentioned any other brand either, just saying that diawa is not as good as some other brands.
In just about every industry there's always a premium brand that's better than most... same with reels I imagine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:21pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

back to the title, its a shame there's no daiwa on the telly. the mere fact that big angry fish swapped over gear, boat and motor just shows how fickle it all is. I just laugh at all the sponsorship and just enjoy the show. those boys crack me up, Nathan uses my style of braid and circle hooks. I choose my gear wisely just like anyone else and always ensure I've 'got it right' in our chosen sport, (for me). I choose higher end gear because its nicer to use, lasts longer and I'm out on the water quite a bit. Have Daiwa and Shimano and that's it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with that too after all the big ups to Daiwa for the past few series it is a bit shallow if want for a better word.

But you cannot blame Shimano for wanting in and keeping up there dominance on the market. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:01pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really behind in the posts here.
Will come back.
As for Kaveman,
Seriously , fb..... it's an after 3 pm kiddies tool.
More importantly for the children who use it, it's a violation of your privacy, and your not intelligent enough to comprehend it's consequences.

As for the gear...
As an owner of many produced reels over the last 100 years which I strip, use and service if I use for fishing.
I would have to say there are many good brands and to be loyal to a brand represents poor judgement of your a user.
The all have highs and lows. Foibles and frailties.
But I must say as a general, Japanese tools are the most uniform high spec.
And still currently American second.
There all fun, they all catch fish, some are just more fun to use.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

In my opinion quality is simply a perception. I was a big fan of Penn gear, now most of my stuff is Shimano. Shimano is nice to use for sure but each model has it's strengths and weaknesses.

I had a cheapie  Okuma Saltiga 2 3000 sized reel that I punished for three years. I gave it a quick service once and it finally popped its clogs on a huge seven giller. The main gear was just die cast and finally called it quits. On the other hand I have a Stradic 4000 that is beautiful to use. It would be even better if it had the handle that the Okuma had. The Stradic has cost me $60 so far and the Okum I just threw away because it was a reel I won in a gurnard comp.

I know which one I'd rather have but it's hardly comparing apples with apples. Just because one brand has a particular reputation for 'quality' doesn't mean that every model in that range will be without problems.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <1234>