No Diawa for TV shows

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 6:56pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wow those Tiagras of Akura still going, looking tired obviously after 15 years of charter fishing, George must be doing good job, what do you fish with Grunta,  Shimano Penn or Diawa?WinkWink
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 7:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by Nomis Nomis wrote:

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

this whole thread is a crack-up….Big smile

Come on cuzzy fish.net know more than anyone

Whats the crack then boys?

Does anyone ACTUALLY know how the  mentioned shows work with regard to sponsorship or association with tackle manufacturers? 

The crack is quite possibly 3 pages of supposition and assumption, with little actual knowledge!!! 

Its like a room full of old women giving each other the squinty eye over the only bloke in the room....Who it turns out is Gay,and Soooooo not interested.

C'mon its winter not much fishing bound to be a Shimano Vs Daiwa thread at some stage. Frankly its better than McGregor Vs Mayweather LOL Throw in a switch of sponsership on a show and it just gets a bit more interesting and by throwing your opinion in makes you one of those old women too. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 7:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by Nomis Nomis wrote:

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

this whole thread is a crack-up….Big smile

Come on cuzzy fish.net know more than anyone

Whats the crack then boys?

Does anyone ACTUALLY know how the  mentioned shows work with regard to sponsorship or association with tackle manufacturers? 

The crack is quite possibly 3 pages of supposition and assumption, with little actual knowledge!!! 

Its like a room full of old women giving each other the squinty eye over the only bloke in the room....Who it turns out is Gay,and Soooooo not interested.

So are you one of us old ladies or are you the gay guy Titahi? Smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 8:16pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

So are you one of us old ladies or are you the gay guy Titahi? Smile

Guess as Im unterested Smudge I would have to be "that bloke"

Big smile

I dont see the point in posting about a snapper I once caught, or a oft mentioned kingie..... Im not about to make a purchase based on the fact that a bloke on a website caught one once, or that some show uses them. Theres plenty of options at the top of the tree, find what suits ya needs look after it and stop worrying about what the bloke next door uses. 

Im off to find a room full of men

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 8:40pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couldn't careless of what reel/rod combos the TV (never had a real job ) use.
I would be inclined to watch a show that fished in the same waters as mums and dads(families)fish. Not spend hrs till they get the right size/species fish.

Show more techniques of baiting,running/ledger rigs etc when to use or change certain rigs, explain how/what poppers are or work.jigs/softbaits etc show techniques,when/why you change colours /style of softbaits. A basics show every now and again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once you have bought enough Shimano and Diawa, Penn stuff, you naturally experiment with avet, alutecnos, everol possibly accurate ( yet to), other brands, even omoto, plus others and realise there's a whole other world there and some pretty cool stuff, not just junk. Never had great experience with okuma but some of new stuff believe is a lot better. Who'd want to live in a world where was only shimano or only shimano diawa and penn. Years gone by we even had variety with Dam, Delphino, Mitchell, Abu and Alvey. Sticking to one or two brands shows lack of imagination if you have more than few sets ... and really limiting yourself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

a few weeks ago I bought a vintage penn peer 309M the condition of the reel was damn near a 10 the only thing wrong with it was it needed a worm drive for the level wind which my local shop located in one phone call to the penn distributor the rest of it was mint including its original packaging, I also have a vintage 6/0 senator and a delmar 285 all classic penn reels and I fish with these reels because they were back in their day the best of the best. I have no hesitation in buying vintage reels that are mint and not beaten up and use those over a modern reel.

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:57pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Wow those Tiagras of Akura still going, looking tired obviously after 15 years of charter fishing, George must be doing good job, what do you fish with Grunta,  Shimano Penn or Diawa?WinkWink
Yep -that was the point Steve - look after your gear and it will last. As you know only too well, I have a range of brands in the arsenal and the reason they're all so mint is:
1. I treat them well.
2. You service them every year.

1 & 2 are the secret.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:26pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a brilliant marketing campaign by Daiwa. Remove yourself as a sponsor of a popular TV show and then get your name splattered all over a popular fishing website atleast 50 times so far, all for free!
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:22am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

I would be inclined to watch a show that fished in the same waters as mums and dads(families)fish. Not spend hrs till they get the right size/species fish.

Show more techniques of baiting,running/ledger rigs etc when to use or change certain rigs, explain how/what poppers are or work.jigs/softbaits etc show techniques,when/why you change colours /style of softbaits. A basics show every now and again.

I agree.....It's very hard to trust a salesman....

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:08am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Derek F Derek F wrote:

yep.....that's all I really meant too. 

However given I'm house striken / recovering post-op / full of pain meds....it's been funParty 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:23am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - as a salesman (not fishing tackle) I find this a particularly irksome stereotype comment. Yes, some salespeople speak with the proverbial forked tongue - but so do a heap of other non sales folk. Likewise there are many sales folk that are well respected for their honesty .....
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:17pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - as a salesman (not fishing tackle) I find this a particularly irksome stereotype comment. Yes, some salespeople speak with the proverbial forked tongue - but so do a heap of other non sales folk. Likewise there are many sales folk that are well respected for their honesty .....
[/QUOTE]

I do understand what you say......it's just that we get hammered with screeds of bull**** advertising etc everyday. I have been a salesman of trade items and would hate to be not trusted.  I was very careful to advise people of any negatives before we got anywhere near closing and they would be far more likely to believe the positives when I got there. 
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:31pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

The Fishing & Adventure boys started their show with Fin Nor, and swapped to Okuma. 

Fishing and Adventure started with Shimano.  I still have a Shimano popper rod I bought off them when they sold all their Shimano stuff after they changed brands.

Yip, sorry - I got that wrong. Swapped to Fin Nor for season 2, then shifted to Okuma.

This has been an interesting mid-winter thread and debate, even if I didn't get the gist of a couple of odd and/or cryptic contributions. Good to see the variety of things people look for and take away from fishing shows.

I reckon that commercial imperative is the reality in much of the fishing entertainment space, including magazines (where a couple have folded in recent years), TV shows and YouTube channels. Even this website - look at all the advertising alongside what we're reading.
Without sponsors and advertisers, most of the stuff we read and watch wouldn't be sustainable in our small market, would it?

I'm just glad we have a number of pretty good quality shows to watch on a crappy Saturday afternoon.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:06am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the fishing and adventure boys are pretty good at that mate. they certainly don't keep secrets on what they are doing and why they are doing it. never afraid to throw a ledger rig out on there show
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 5:35pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

The Fishing & Adventure boys started their show with Fin Nor, and swapped to Okuma. 

Fishing and Adventure started with Shimano.  I still have a Shimano popper rod I bought off them when they sold all their Shimano stuff after they changed brands.

Yip, sorry - I got that wrong. Swapped to Fin Nor for season 2, then shifted to Okuma.

This has been an interesting mid-winter thread and debate, even if I didn't get the gist of a couple of odd and/or cryptic contributions. Good to see the variety of things people look for and take away from fishing shows.

I reckon that commercial imperative is the reality in much of the fishing entertainment space, including magazines (where a couple have folded in recent years), TV shows and YouTube channels. Even this website - look at all the advertising alongside what we're reading.
Without sponsors and advertisers, most of the stuff we read and watch wouldn't be sustainable in our small market, would it?

I'm just glad we have a number of pretty good quality shows to watch on a crappy Saturday afternoon.

The Fishing and Adventure boys were originally sponsored by CD who are distributors for both Finnor and Okuma.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:22pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Chris. That's what I thought at first. But I found their first ever episode on YouTube fishing out of Ruakaka. Definitely Shimano back then. Dirty great Shimano sticker along the inside of the stern, Scott's in a Shimano tee and they were using Status rods, Toriums, Baitrunners etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt_NtsjnpNc&list=PL-zj1-iozcma3w-pDoLVH8tEnJIksvUb7
Page  <1 234