Brown Waters BOI

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown Waters BOI
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 11:36am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting article...

I skippered a ferry between Russell and Paihia for a while back in the late 90s and I saw many penguins on the run. Up at Opua they have been a fixture since myboyhood, but sadly now these Little guys are not seen very often in the inner bay. Dogs have played a part in that. But it should be mentioned that siltation also plays a part. 
Studies in the Kaipara have shown that suspended sediment infiltrates the gill plates of fish, and introduce land based bacteria to their bodies.
The incidences of Brown Water events in the Bay of Islands have increased in the last twenty years as weather bombs become more common. Fifteen years ago the Bay got nailed by big weather events for just over three years. This had a devastating effect on small fish populations. Those populations get knocked back by every brown water event that happens. Anchovies in particular, but also mackerel and yellow eyed mullet and
pilchards. 
This has resulted in at least three species of bird and one fish declining in the inner 
bay. This is the inner bay. Inside Tapeka.
Those species are the little blue penguin, the small black shag,the Caspian tern, and the John Dory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting,I would of thought not so much the rain water as such but with the subdividing taking place by the waters edge and allowing heavy metals,whether that be natural or fumes etc being washed in to the sea.
In the tamiki river it has been noticeable to me ,that the fresh water content must be rather high as the top 100mm of antifoul is fresh looking again but further down is the barnacles.