Big Snap Sent Home-Mokau!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Snap Sent Home-Mokau!
    Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 4:26pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All its not often two days of calm seas and beauty weather happen down here on the Westcoast during winter. My Brother-Mick is still on his two weeks off during his oil drilling roster and he managed to twist me arm to go Fish'n againLOL Those that know me it doesn't take much twisting! During this time of year can adjust my work hours to other days if the sea is calling. Posts numbers are down this time of year, i like to keep the Westcoast in this area ticking over if i can get out. Today we were back in the little Mac to target a big Snap or two. Flat as launch, straight out a few K's to wot i would regard our best spot. Straight away we were into Kahawai on the Sabiki's and it wasn't long before all our straylines were set with whole Fillets. Quiet first hour, a few grey Sharks but no Spinies. Iv'e mentioned before Greys are alright, when the Snaps come you catch both at same time.  Eventually a few showed up we had two for the first two hours around 5kg's. Sharks got the better of us next hour then Mick got a screamer of a run, we both hoped and it was a big Snap!! He played it in fantastic, letting it go on its long runs then retrieving line. When it came into sight Mick said lets put it on measure photo and release. He had just finished a peanut butter sandwhich had his gloves off which isn't ideal for handling them. Within two minutes had the job done! We left Snap in landing net dehooked until ready. Sat him on measure click, click a small prick to his swim bladder as it was puffed up and back in. Honestly it took off like a pannie! I had limited time for photo's but got a couple. I put the weight close to 12 kg maybe a tick over, was a fat buggerBig smile Went 85.5 cms. Thats was our day nothing much after that, headed in. A few Photo's. Cheers......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 4:41pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great stuff.  Looks like a giant pannie too.  Hardly a scale out of place. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 4:55pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Geoff just awesome! ClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 5:37pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beautiful condition for such a big fish. Nice flat looking sea aswell. Congrats on the catch and release
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:28pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Beautiful condition for such a big fish. Nice flat looking sea aswell. Congrats on the catch and release
Hi Craig, alot of the bigger ones we get off here are in such good nick they do look like a giant Pannies. Look forward to you coming down again to have another go at one. Also have self taught after watching a few you tube video's where to insert needle to the swim bladder. Before  this  the ones that would end up floating we had to keep. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonga-tui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
tonga-tui View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome once again Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:10pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fishing there Geoff. Twice in a week in Winter. I wish I had the chance, I'd be back out wide again with you. Why don't you make it three. The forecast for Saturday is looking great
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:38pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Woppa
Well done Mick and Geoff as usual another donkey.

The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Those fish look stunning! nice wrk and thanks for the report Geoff
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 1:32am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very healthy looking fish...nice one.......what strength line were you using?
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:43pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

great fish there Geoff, Mokau rocks again..!!. Well done on sending it back. Clap
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 1:46pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done, on letting it go. Good to see there are still some big moochers out there and being released.Thumbs Up
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.