Weekend Chrome **Video Clip**

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weekend Chrome **Video Clip**
    Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 3:55pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A short clip from the weekend when Dan and I headed to Turangi for some "weekend chrome", the river was busy, but we managed quite a few nice Rainbow's amongst the rafters, kayaker's and other anglers.

To say it was cold would be an understatement, down to minus 7 overnight.

Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:09am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs UpAs usual, some great photography to accompany the great fishing!Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:18am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Excellent~~my casting arm is twitching Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:53am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So is mine!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:44am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jesus Fishb8... you gotta be more careful removing the hook from a trouts mouth?!!!...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:55am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Far out...
is that your hand Roy?
Jeeez, if it is, I hope you're right handedShocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 8:28pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody hell, Roy, you've probably been told more than once, pick the bloody knife up by the handle! Seriously though I hope that heals soon.

Meanwhile another great video Andrew, we were in those spots ( upstream of the Red hut bridge) on Sunday, Fish everywhere, some real donkeys in there, so much fun!
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 8:49pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Far out...
is that your hand Roy?
Jeeez, if it is, I hope you're right handedShocked
Right handed.
Operation for a Duypretrens release.
No cycling/biking for 3 months...or fishing.
Can live with that for a good result.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 9:15pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1wrZP2i9y4

Never heard of Duypretrens before so asked Google.
When I watched the vid, I found my hand hiding behind my backLOL
Hope it works for you RoyBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 10:33pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great video guys - going down thur week till sunday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:24am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great video, love to see the blue ducks etc.

Often when I walked up to a pool on the Big T I used to think 'wouldn't it be great if I could see if there were actually any fish in this pool' rather than spend an hour or so fishing into vacant water.
Drones are obviously the answer. An amazing perspective.

Those fish are starting to resemble years gone by in terms of quality. And good to see there's still more to the Tongariro than the Bridge Pool and the old braids area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers mate, Russell it's gonna be busy alright! I'm also heading up with a mate who guides in the Nelson area to give him a winter fix from the 12th.

That shot of those fish was funny, there was three guys peppering that spot for about 1.5 hours before I popped the drone up for a look, I called them over to show them what they were drifting through without a touch and they were absolutely flabbergasted there were that many fish holding there!

I think it's pretty typical of that river, no matter how barren the water looks, they are always there, so once we figured out a plan to go longer and heavier in the flow it was game on for the next hour! Win for the drone!

Cheers, Andrew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:50am
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

taking sight fishing to the next level Andrew! 

A small change like leader length can definitely make all the difference. Had some issues landing fish Sunday morning though. Fishing quite high up the boulder reach and had to go real long on the leader. Just couldn't get the fish close enough to land with the net. anyone with any suggestions? I long handled landing net perhaps.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Just don't try to pull the last couple of metres in by hand - I've made that mistake when I was backed up against manuka trees in the old Boulder Reach. When the beauty I had on made one last lunge, snap.

and there's a YouTube clip of a big brownie being lost on the Tongariro (old Admirals area) when the angler tries to hand line it in at the end.

I guess if you use a smaller indicator without any kind of clip it might be able to fit through the rod guides?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:41pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As always excellent, and getting execellenter! 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

I think it's pretty typical of that river, no matter how barren the water looks, they are always there, 

Very true, Andrew. In the old braids, you could see into much of the water from the car park bank and while I have reasonable fish-spotting skills I'd often think there were none there. 
But there was almost always a Rastafarian local who would cross the shallow braid and spend the day alternatively fishing, and chilling/smoking. As he said, it was hard to see the pods of fish, but they were there, and the good catches we had proved it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 2:29pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was discussing this the other day with Dan. I don't often use a net on the Tongariro but I really should! I'm guilty of hand-lining the fish in once the indicator gets to the eye then hand-grabbing. But I sometimes wind the indicator through the eye as I use indicators probably half the size of the shop versions and on dacron, not clips. Link to tying them below. But if a fish bolts, you can loose it... and your eye!

The issue is when you try to grab the leader if you look at your rod, you'll likely be point-loading the rod, Dan did this on Saturday just as we were finishing up, he was using a 5wt Sage ONE, point loaded it when trying to grab the leader and snapped it like a twig! I have it all on video, it's quite funny to watch so will try and upload it. The ONE is an absolutley beautiful rod, but not sure the wee 9' 5wt is Tongariro material! I did tell him he'd break it! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 3:49pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont expect to have the place to myself - thats for sure. Would be nice. Bringing the boat for a bit of Delta action as well so keeping bases covered. Looks like a bit of weather arriving all next week to keep the flow going!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 4:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

Here's the Tongariro hand lining clip I was talking about -  I think it's a guy called Shane who was a guide in the area. It's not clear if the hook pulls or the leader snaps, but either way (at the 8 minute mark) that fish is goneburger as a result of handlining. It's not clear why the call was made to handline the last bit, beaching may have been the better call with plenty of back room. 
Either way, that's what keeps us going back for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7j-ZJwsrlY

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 4:58pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top quality. Nice filming and editing too. What camera are you using on land?
Page  12>