Sea Levels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Levels
    Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:11pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didn't think they were rising, but how do you know if articles are false news...??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

climate change?man made myth,an excuse for all sorts of things.The big picture the world is over populated,pumping more crap in the oceans and it floats of with the currents to areas of little or no current and settles hence why the Gt Barrier reef is dying,is the sea really warming up and the fish have gone deeper for cooler waters or is it that we have over fished inshore??on and on it goes,one report shows the artic to have lowest ever ice recordings and another shows it has had the most ice for centuries.Yes we have all seen the photo a the polar bear walking around on rocks looking lost.Is it a lie and the truth is it was a lost bear in the height of summer??
All I know we(nz) are paying a huge carbon tax to somewhere overseas so they can keep on polluting while try to remain the clean and green image.
Do I subscribe to climate change?NO it is a cycle that world goes through every so many million yrs,scientist are now saying and have been saying for awhile we are going down a cooling period.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 7:02am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

climate change?man made myth,an excuse for all sorts of things.The big picture the world is over populated,pumping more crap in the oceans and it floats of with the currents to areas of little or no current and settles hence why the Gt Barrier reef is dying,is the sea really warming up and the fish have gone deeper for cooler waters or is it that we have over fished inshore??on and on it goes,one report shows the artic to have lowest ever ice recordings and another shows it has had the most ice for centuries.Yes we have all seen the photo a the polar bear walking around on rocks looking lost.Is it a lie and the truth is it was a lost bear in the height of summer??
All I know we(nz) are paying a huge carbon tax to somewhere overseas so they can keep on polluting while try to remain the clean and green image.
Do I subscribe to climate change?NO it is a cycle that world goes through every so many million yrs,scientist are now saying and have been saying for awhile we are going down a cooling period.
There is a lot of debate but my understanding is that the time for talk is over, we are even on a global scale pumping a heck of a lot of greenhouse gases into planet and even on a commonsense level lower pollution of all sorts has got to be better for quality of life?  Remember the stink of exhaust fumes in heavy traffic 20 years ago?  Better now.
There seems to be a consensus in scientific circles that we should be concerned so I am. 
Reminds me for instance of smoking - in 1800 patients were advised to smoke "as it strengthens the lungs" do you think smoking is good for you now? 
Hindsight is full of wisdom - we have enough information to say on balance there is a problem with greenhouse gases...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:04pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you know that NZ total emissions is 0.02% of the global emissions so even if we stop completely and go back to the stone age it an't going to make squat difference. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:13pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exactly "krow" so just keep doing what we are doing.as far exhaust emission goes have a look at anny ramp and still the 2 strikes.heaven just like marine diesel fumes.love it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 12:13am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I love how that sea level link is a graph of a multi decade increasing trend, then zoomed right in on a current blip and using that to claim falling sea levels. I would give that a Not Achieve in my class.

It's not about how much we contribute, it's more about the whole world being in this together and we either all die together or we pull through and survive. It is happening, it is happening now and it will get worse. The effects of sea level change will be felt over hundreds of years for the full effect, and will stay for thousands. 

It's not just sea level change either. Ocean acidification and climate/rain shifts will be far more important in the long run imo.

Not too many people realise that the last 10,000 years have been remarkably mild and settled as far as Earths weather goes. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 12:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not too many people realise that the last 10,000 years have been remarkably mild and settled as far as Earths weather goes.

Why do you think sea exploration discover sort of o9nly started to 'take off' in the late 1400s and increased dramatically thru to the 1700s
 Wasnt technology...it was climate change, change for a different reason but still change...
 History is full of examples like this.