Tractor choice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor choice
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 7:25pm
Fishable View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. I have a to move my boat (7.2m hardtop) around to get it in out the boat shed, very wet grass race ( bit off uphill) and my ute just slips and spins (ok in the dry) . I am looking at getting a tractor to make it easy. Will a normal size tractor manage the job? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 9:40pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep piece of cake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:00am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a DB 885 and it would tow your boat around okay , mate down the street has a DB 995 and that has an extra few horses and he tows a 7. 3m boat with family around no problem . Anything in the low 50hp up should do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take a wander around a few boat yard / work shops you wil be suprised just how much a small tractor will move.
EG The little kubidas
 I have a little 3 cylinder yammar, it moves a 6m fully loaded boat uphill around cnrs without a hint of strain...just got to watch if going down hill then do a damn near full lock.. it will lift a rear wheel slightly.. move to one side on the seat or if I put water in the tyres would stop. I just dont turn that sharp.

PS on near full lock it will still push and turn uphill in lower gear without a blink.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:12pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There are some pretty reasonably priced MF's out there.
I've got DB990 and love it - May be a bit big for what you need if you are just using it around home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:26am
Fishable View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone for your advice. Would it have to be a 50+hp tractor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Never Satisfied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:57am
Never Satisfied View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If just moving around home, a small tractor will be fine. A massey 28 or similar.

If you are wanting to beach launch or use steepish ramps I would suggest something larger. You pick up some reasonable fords or david browns now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:24am
Fishable View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks. Its only to move in and out my boat shed. I have a grass incline drive at the shed and due to the wet its a problem with the ute.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 10:43am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've seen big boats push tractors around reversing into drives on an incline so not knowing whether it's a straight push or a hard turn it's hard to know . My 885 is 47hp and has plenty of weight , diesels are the biz if your going into water but for you probably not neccassary . My only concern with the MF 28s etc is that they are small and would be great on a flat yard but a lot depends on how steep the race is , and manoeuvres that need doing .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We messed with several alternatives, till the little yammar came up on TM for $150.
 The problem was turning and parking the boat under cover in the space with the big horn.. a 20 point turn.. or disconnect,  reconnect and a 4 point turn.. on a slope.
Used m8s bob cat for a while.. with a ball on the bucket...
excellent.. big advantage was being able to lift the hitch, put the weight on rear wheels only, making sharp turn easy.

Then messed with a 4x4 4 wheel farm bike.. fine in s straight line, real hairy turning and backing up hill, traction huge issue.

Also swapped out the front bumper on one of the vintage cars for a hitch bar.. a  2 cylinder  1000 cc 10 hp bradford.. yep moved fine.. little hard on the clutch thu.. and narrow vintage cross ply wheels had issues in wet up hill and full lock

Then the yammar.. put a ball on the front.. but lot messing around lining up, and turn going up hill tended to lift far more.
Hitching on the rear way to go.. a little number plate light to see at night... AND mounted the ball higher.
 Once the ball was higher, could turn , even up hill very easy.
Its not the HP that gets it done thu.. its the gearing and bottom end torque of the little diesel... slow steady when manoeuvring.. quick to drive into position to hitch up, and when parking later in higher diff ratio...gears are stuck in 1 gear, 3 diff ratios thu.

And If just for...
 Its only to move in and out my boat shed. I have a grass incline drive at the shed and due to the wet its a problem with the ute.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:40pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gotta say that the above is not a normal size tractor, more a ride on mower thingy, a normal size tractor will do what u want with ease even an old David brown with 30hp... low ratio with a 7m boat u can push/pull it most places.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I think it was originally a ride on general grounds maintenance unit
But not one of those light weight petrol general units at bunnings or M10
Before we got it, was a tractor to move a boat from bach to beach.. now used to move hitch on move down a slope, in a wide curve about 20/30 m, raised ball as high as possible so bow rail still fits under car port rafter...and weight on rear wheels for easy turning of trailer.
Then a full lock turn in reverse, line the back of the boat up 300mm off the shed wall.. slowly straighten up and back into place till ball hits the mark on the concrete.. before the prop pushes the fence down..

For short limited work like , at less than walking pace, why use a mac truck to do the shopping? or spend a few Ks rather than a couple $100?
Posters requirement..
Its only to move in and out my boat shed. I have a grass incline drive at the shed and due to the wet its a problem with the ute.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:47am
Fishable View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I agree, if it works for you then thats all you need.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:14pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Read the last sentence again maybe