Lake Karapiro

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redmanmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Karapiro
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 7:00pm
Redmanmoran View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, I have just moved to Cambridge and with karapiro and Arapuni now on my back door I'm keen to give them a crack as I have heard the hold massive browns. However I have no idea how to fish them..any ideas or tips would be fantastic!! Cheers Gareth!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:54pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm in Cambridge, flick me a PM and we can have a yak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:48am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi there,

Here's a post I put on a similar request a while back, re Arapuni.
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/arapuni_topic123835_post1684187.html

But I'm not living in the Waikato now, so the offer of a local's expert tips is gold. Good on you Rogueone.

While working at the local regional paper down there, I once wrote a story on a bloke who caught a massive brown at a Karapiro stream mouth at night. From recollection, he favoured smelt flies on floating lines, and accesses the various hot spots by boat. The browns are wily, but put in the time and you'll be rewarded.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 7:35pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had one of my fav trout fishing moments in Karapiro.
I cast along a pencil reed bank from a drifting boat and reeled in slowly with the current. About 4 meters away the reeds started wiggling and the wiggles caught up to my lure but it just followed the lure in the reed bed for about 10m then just as the reeds were running out it shot out bam, white water and a awesome fight as it shot into shallow water of mud only a foot deep it zig zagged for 20 odd meters and by rights it should of snagged me on piles of weed floating in the area. 5 pound hen rainbow - hell of an exciting and memory will stay with me forever.
Bottom of karapiro damn you will get a trout. I average 3, had more up to 8 pounds on a zebra spinner. There are a few river mouths that do well on the change of light.  
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redmanmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redmanmoran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:10pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HareNcopA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 3:56pm
HareNcopA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bottom of Karapiro dam

Approach the very bottom of the track carefully - some of the biggest bow waves you will ever see will shoot off if you arent careful.
Behind every good fisherman is a lonely woman