1986 Johnson 2 stroke

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazza84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Johnson 2 stroke
    Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
Bazza84 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Team,
I have recently acquired a 86 Johnson 8hp 2 stroke, with intent to use it on my wee aquapro RHIB... I am new to using outboards and was hoping someone could give me an idea about which oil is best to mix with and a good ratio to use when mixing fuel... I have read a few things on US forums saying the 100/1 mix stated on the engine is no good to use and a few different ratios to run with but all in oz and gallons... Anyone with any experience can point me in the right direction. Much appreciated!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:25pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have read a few things on US forums saying the 100/1 mix stated on the engine is no good to use and a few different ratios to run with but all in oz and gallons... Anyone with any experience can point me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

Correct.
The XD 100 evinrude synthetic oil is for modern ECU FUEL injected that use (and can be programed) to mix 100:1 mix

The XD 50 synthertic is for use on the older Fush injected evinrude engines that run a 50:1 mix.
It is also used on eveinrude/ johnson carbed engines that get a lot of heavy/ loaded work.. it also reduced carbon build up in ports, around props, in chambers etc, and is far less smelly

The XD30 is for johnson/ evinrude 2 stroke engines, NON FUEL injected
 It is far superior to the cheaper after market alternatives.

If the VRO oil pump/ automatic mixer is faulty or not working, pre mix
1L of 2 Stroke oil (XD30 or XD 50) with 50 L of 91 octane  NON ALCOHOL added fuel
(not the cheap gull stuff and at some mobil outlets)

PS it is by far cheaper (shop around between agents) to buy evinrude 2Stroke oils in 20L (US gal equivient) than in smaller bottles.. but that also has to be balanced with how much you may use in 12 months... we go thru just over 2 20L drums/ yr of XD50

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:17pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

standard 50/1 mix in tank,have clean/change plugs .run it on 98 not 91,cleaner burning
had one from new in 1986, mine only had forwards some had forwards and reverse.used on a trailer sailor and fitted a rectifyer to charge battery,ha ha wet feet connecting to battery,yep decent belt. oil i just used mobil/bp 2 stroke
10lt tank 200ml oil  DO NOT USE ETHONAL BLEND
should find it reliable motor had for a few years till someone liked it better,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:39am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You can also use TCW3 oil Johnson have been using this oil for years before synthetic oils came onto the market
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 7:10pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The main issue, is using an outboard 2 stroke oil. Not oil meant for mowers, chainsaws or motorbikes.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been wondering about that recently.
My old school chainsaws, line trimers etc it was a big no no to use outboard 2S oil... but replaced my line trim not long ago.. specifies synthetic 2S oil not the older mineral type.
Is this the same as the synthetic types of outboard oil?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 1:22pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I asked mechanic about oil to use and was told marine 2S water cooled engine versus air cooled chainsaw etc - different tolerances and running temps.  Best to use what manufacturer recommends shouldn't use lawnmower 2S oil in boat motor etc.
Good question steps - big changes in oil recently more and more shops using synthetic or blends of oils in cars now it seems.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.