John dory feeding on tiny snapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John dory feeding on tiny snapper
    Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 5:58pm
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fishing in Tiri Channel today caught 4 Johnnies ,they had tiny snapper in their stomachs ( approx 5 cm). Is it unusual for these tiny snapper to be in the channel in July?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would not think so they have to be somewhere. There are no boundaries for fish especially snapper. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:17pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Suspect small snapper of that size are normal in coastal waters where you found them,and probably normal part of J.D diet.

In early June i encountered numbers of similar size snapper in the gut of a number of larger snapper and also large Kahawai.
Contacted the Leigh Marine research centre.

Despite hundreds of hours of video footage trying to capture predation of small snapper by larger ones they had never witnessed it,and extensive research of gut content had found this type of predation on only a couple of occasions.

Small snapper of the size you encountered would be first year class,spawned around December last year.
Comment i received was that at this time of year baby snapper are likely moving out of estuaries ,harbors , and into coastal waters and vulnerable  to predation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:32pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Iv'e seen many a JD caught from beach Longlines where they have taken a small snap thats hooked and become caught themselves. on the bigger Snaps haven't seen any with smaller Snaps in them but often i catch them and they spew up flounder of all sizes. Great fresh bait for big Snaps if you have some when your out.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:25pm
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its interesting, I wonder what the predation percentage is, must be millions of the little buggers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah it would be millions which makes it astonishing that snapper maintain there numbers at such a high level. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:01pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

juvinile snaps is nectar to jd,s.. fact
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:05pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

juvenile... excuse me mr steinyLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Mt Steiny has a lot to answer for. Far too many drunked tonight Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

couple days ago, m8 pulled up a nice 2.5 kg JD on a ledger...along with a small (about a 10mm snapper)
Looked like hooked the snapper and the JD thought going to have some of that.
 biggest JD for the boat and his PB.

Also got a smaller one on mullet strip bait , strayline rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
baitcatcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[IMG]uploads/75336/20170801193547_DSCF2313 (scaled).JPG[/IMG
HI Fishos I have the photograph proof of a JD swallowing a baby snapper.I was out fishing on Bazza boat yesterday at Shag Rock when I pulled the JD up(after a small tangle with Barry's line),the snapper 130mm was in its mouth and when I filleted it there was a 50mm snapper inside it's stomach.
PS the small snapper was returned to the water.
Cheers Baitcatcher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:14pm
Silver
Silver

Sorry can't upload the photo!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:53pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks for loading the photos Barry.