Win a fishing charter with Captain Morgan!

Topic Closed

Page  12>
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win a fishing charter with Captain Morgan!
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:06pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hey folks - the Captain's been busy organising a day fishing on the Hauraki Gulf and we have two double passes  to be won.

You can be in to win by posting a photo of your most impressive catch or your best fishing story either on this thread OR on our our Facebook page here. There's one double pass to be won for this thread and one for our Facebook page .

Here's what you could win!
You and a mate could be joining Captain Morgan and his crew for a fantastic fishing adventure on 14 October 2017 departing from Westhaven Marina, Auckland. Two semi-finalists will be chosen from the best entries on this thread and another two from our our Facebook page .

The semi finalists will be featured on a new post and you'll be invited to vote for your favourite. The photo with the most likes on this thread will win a double pass and the Facebook post with the most votes will also win a double pass for the adventure.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:49pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back in 2005 a workmate hatched a plan to take his families' Bridgedecker on a trip up north from Coromandel harbour to be based at Whangaroa.
From there he did several trips to the Three Kings.
I was lucky to be on the first trip.
The memories of that first trip will live with me forever.
Mind blowing bottom fishing for Giants of everything!
Tarakihi, blue cod, trevally Golden snapper not to mention the Kingfish Bass and Hapuku.
We explored the Three Kings pretty much by ourselves as it was April and the better water for gamefish was back on the coast.
After a couple of days we had done our dash and with the forecast turning a little for the worse we decided to head back to north cape.
From memory we were near" the hook" off the cape when we had a double marlin strike.
One fell off but we boated the other..highly exciting as all four of us were marlin virgins.
We'd found our own patch of fish and had a blast the next two days with heaps of fish on and 3 more to the boat!
We still laugh to this day when we talk about how at one stage we put over the vhf that "weve got 3 fish on can we have some room!!".. Bruce Smith on Striker replied over the radio ." Settle down boys, just settle down "
We must have sounded a tad excited.

"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:25pm
podpaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

been trying to get my fishing mad eight year old a king for a couple of years now, he's caught plenty of snaps, trout and gurnard, but the king has elude him.
   Finally broke the hoodoo last week with Marcus on Ultimate Charters, the little fella is still telling everybody he meets the yarn.. buzzing!.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

that gets my vote Paul. Great fish, great effort.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:57pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My first Marlin 109kg caught on the outer Alderman pins on board Epic while livebaiting for kingfish.
The story here is not the fish or the angler but Capt Owen our skipper on that awesome day.
Owen picked it for a Marlin immediately and started barking orders at me our crew and the other Epic boat next to us.
The tone in his voice left no room for discussion and everyone complied.
The boat was manoeuvred backwards to ensure we didn't get the line in the props and we were hooked up.
The fish began to put on an aerial display and on the fourth or fifth jump my heart sank..
The mainline braid was wrapped around its tail, I backed the drag right off and the fish sounded to 40m. Bugger!!!
This stalemate went on for about 20 minutes I couldnt gain line and the fish just sat there chilling out at 40m deep.
Here's where the story gets good no great...
The skipper looks us all square in the eyes and says EVERYONE HOLD ON
The next 60 seconds was the most intense and best boat driving I've ever seen.
Out skipper drove in very quick short bursts around in two circles and boom undid the tail wrap and we were attached to the fishes face again.
An hour or so later we landed my first Marlin.
Epic capture Epic job from Capt Owen Epic fish, tagged and released into Blinks smokehouse and enjoyed by many families for many months after.
And that's my Marlin story šŸ˜„šŸ‘
Cheers Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thumbs UpNice Pete. We were on the Aldie pins when Tobes crew hooked a 122kg stirpey on kingfish gear. Epic! 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:06pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Smudge it truly was Epic. I'd go as far to say that if I am lucky enough to win the prize I will invite Capt Owen.
Might be a bit of a busmans holiday but hey.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:11am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From 2005, no fish pic tho.

Returned from the north last week after what was a fairly dismal trip cleaned the gear and the boat.  Neighbour turns up and needs a place to wash his one down so now thatā€™s down my drive.  Next neighbour arrives home from a few weeks away on the boat to find he canā€™t get in his drive,  had to park our cars somewhere I said,  use your grass.

Now with all neighbours present and all keen fishoā€™s a plan was hatched while the fridge emptied,  letā€™s hook up and go fishing.

Next morning Nick and I have the boat loaded and await the company of others but seems their supervisors had other ideas,  something to do with lawns and BBQā€™s with their extended family.  Oh well two upā€™s ok and off we went before our supervisors had other ideas.

Arrived in Whitianga, couple of beers a meal and hit the bunks ready for an early start.  The drive down providing plenty of time to discuss what we were going to catch and what our plan was.

0530hrs weā€™re at the bakery and hit the water chasing livebaits,  other trips we had the tank full in no time but today took a bit more concentration and searching.  It was a bleak and drizzly morning and while having been cooked by the sun over the past few days neither of us really packed any warm gear, oh well harden-up.  Finally we had enough and headed off into a steady but confused and lumpy swell.   The further out providing a steady swell with a bit of a breeze and finally we arrive at the pins north of the Aldermenā€™s,  baits away.

Game on and over the next couple of hours we plucked a few 15kg plus beautyā€™s on board keeping two as that was all that would fit in the Tuna bag.   Now here I must mention that while Iā€™ve always been keen on fishing it is only in the last couple of years Iā€™ve been more serious and looking at the gear I use.  Nick on the other hand is well experience in a lot of techniques and has been a great source of information and education.   While we wonā€™t admit to having a competition it somehow ends up that way.

Anyway weā€™re now into mid-afternoon and the kingyā€™s are dropping off the bite,  another two liveyā€™s are deployed and the concentration is immense.   Few signs on the sounder and Iā€™m focused feeling the line as I lower it down.   Twitches are increasing Iā€™m at 30mtrs,  sorry mate but youā€™re going deeper, 40mtrs,  a couple of tugs,  choice I think while quietly saying to myself ā€œdonā€™t strikeā€.   WTF,  sheā€™s a biggy,  my live-bait that is but how can it lift that sinker.   My line is now looking limp,  I start winding it in slowly,  a bit of pressure comes on,  yep Iā€™m hooked.   Now Iā€™m thinking phuk and I say to Nick here comes a jumper,  bloody Marcoā€™s.

We both stand looking at my line now rising rapidly and pressure building.   Then bugger me a bill starts to show followed by a big head, some colour and bit of tail walking.   ā€œMarlinā€ we both called and Iā€™m on.  Now Nick never gets his line out of the water for me but today all rods were carefully thrown into the cabin and the deck cleared,  this was part of the plan but not on the smaller of my jigging rods which the bail arm had broken on a previous drop.

Lines peeling out,  the reels screaming and weā€™re into battle.   Itā€™s over the next hour or so we both think great,  now what do we do,  especially when we got it alongside at one point,  suddenly Nickā€™s boat felt a lot smaller (6.1 Surtees) and so did we.   A call was made to one that didnā€™t come but had landed a marlin before,  whether Nick was after actual advice or just to wind him up Iā€™m not sure but a few tips were passed over.   Now Nick being the caring helpful type did offer me a knife, a beer and various other forms of support.   After about 1.5hrs of long runs and spectacular jumps I made a mistake and took one hand off the rod for some rest,  cramps were starting.  This was a mistake as now my hand was closed and I couldnā€™t open it so the rod was passed over to one with a big grin.

One hand on the wheel and weā€™ve now swapped rolls,  small problem my hand has now cramped on the wheel.   Itā€™s now that I realise since Iā€™ve given up the rod Iā€™ll have to grab the trace and thatā€™s at the end with the club.   Anyway Nickā€™s on for another 3/4hr or so and we figure out a way to wear the beast down,  weā€™re down to 20mtrs, 10mtrs, the PR knot shows, my turn again,  I grab the trace and start pulling and we get it alongside.   What a big bill you have,  anyway here it was and after having it alongside for a minute or so I couldnā€™t reach the bill the kingy hook rolled out and we lost it released it.   We watched as it gently swam alongside and glided back to where we had interrupted its day,  what an awesome sight.

It was now approaching 1800hrs,  we said goodbye and headed for home re-hydrating.  Nick sits down to drive and finds his not so fresh livey sitting at his feet from his prompt clearing of the deck.    Arriving back weā€™re greeted by the motel owner who asks how we went and the story was told.   Shower and headed off for something to eat while they were open.   Quick scoff couple of beers and time to wonder back, walking past the ramp we stop to see how others had got on as it was dark and surely this late meant they had a good catch.  They asked about us,  story time again of which they replied,  ā€œso youā€™re the twoā€ bugger me news travels fast,  we were legends in our own minds and world famous in Whitianga.

Anyway, bunks were calling and wasnā€™t long before lights out that night.  Finally get the body moving and weā€™re off,  bakery and liveyā€™s.   Didnā€™t take long to fill the tank and weā€™re able to head out earlier with some good large baits.   The swell was gentle and the chop on top had eased so it was a good gentle muscle loosener on the trip out.   We arrived,  bit more of a crowd today.   Found a spot and weā€™re on,  quite proud of one I had but with no blood and a clean hookup had Nick grinning as he released it for all to see.   Then Nick lands a good solid 20 plus one,  bugger no pressure.   Couple more drops and we seem to have something playing with our baits but no runs, just large taps or thumps.  

Choice Nicks hooked the bottom thatā€™s him out the way for a while.   Hang on weā€™re in 100mrs and heā€™s only got out 40 plus.   As each swell passes by the rod bends and straightens,  heā€™s locked up with max drag on a PE5.  Then a couple of small but solid shakes and the lines just peeling out slowly,  20mtrs gone.  Same again sits still then swims effortlessly, another lot of line out,  this having Nick on his knees the short rod jammed on the rail with his hands underneath and the other end in the water, lovely,  my turn for some useful tips and advice.   Typical,  after my effort yesterday Nick just has to hook something bigger.   This time he broke,  I grabbed the rod, braced myself,  knees on the gunnel, back straight, Iā€™m ready.  Then it simply powers up, more line gone and snap goes the braid.

Oh well bugger this live baiting weā€™re off trolling some plastics, much easier.  Did this for a while before heading in and heading home.

Home and shattered by 1930 and the neighbour comes over to check out our stories over a few ales.   Photos he asks,  no need check this out we got his autograph,  bill marks on the side and itā€™s now Nick notices itā€™s a ā€œMā€ for marlin.  Choice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:00pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was a calm Saturday morning in 2010.

I turned my alarm off at 0430. It did not wake me, I had not slept well after a night thinking about the fish we were about to catch off the West Coast.

I rolled over and told my better looking half, If I catch a 10lb+ Snapper today I will do a victory lap of the boat.

That was it we were up and ready for our one hour drive to the boat ramp, hoping to launch before sunrise.

What happened over the next few hours only disappointed. Shark after shark with the occasional small Cod. These were not Spiny Dogs but big School sharks between 5 and 6 feet.

I had just battled four consecutive 5 ft flaming sharks so decided to up anchor and try a drift across the reef, usually holding good Blue cod.

Not far into our drift the rod bends over with that typical sharky feel about it, big hard nods and long runs. ā€œBloody sharkā€ I said to my trusty fishing partner. ā€œRemember to play it like a snapper she said, thatā€™s what you always tell me.ā€

Anyway did I listen, NO, I cranked the drag up and winched the Beast in. Within minutes I could barely believe my eyes, this fish that rolled over was not grey, it was Red and white. Wholly crap, (and other words) left my mouth, get the Bloody net it's a Snapper, an bloody big snapper......

A desperate surge forward with the net by my boatwoman, and the beast was flapping around on the deck. A few high fives and wahoo's and splash there I was diving in to the deep blue for my lap of Whiskey Bravo.

Probably a good thing I forgot for a second about all the sharks we had been releasing. Back in the boat to consider my catch.

This was when the neighbouring boat came over to help after hearing screams and looking over to a big splash as I entered the water. Poor folks thought we were in trouble and I was MOB.

Anyway long story short, I had completed my first swim of the Wanganui fishing season, It was November and the water 14Degrees. Did I feel the cold. Nope, not that I can remember but this will go down as one of my biggest fishing memories.

One I will tell to my grandchildren when they ask about my 19.47lb snapper on the Living room wall.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:09pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some great stories. Had the same bail arm issues twice with saltist in exactly the same place. Extra careful now as its such a weak spot if reel takes a knock. Hopefully sorted in more recent models.   
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:30pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one peteWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is one of my favourite experiences,
It was when Ynot got his first Marlin on his own lure.
He spent a season or so before we met and we then spent a full on season solo chasing our dreams.
That story is in the "Virgins hunt for Marlin"!

This is the photo that gives me the biggest grin even today.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:17pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oops, here's the photo.....

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:23pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=MATTOO] Oops, here's the photo.....

Haha it's the only good photo you took for many a year, most of them were of the sky!!!!!! [
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

It was a calm Saturday morning in 2010.

I turned my alarm off at 0430. It did not wake me, I had not slept well after a night thinking about the fish we were about to catch off the West Coast.

I rolled over and told my better looking half, If I catch a 10lb+ Snapper today I will do a victory lap of the boat.

That was it we were up and ready for our one hour drive to the boat ramp, hoping to launch before sunrise.

What happened over the next few hours only disappointed. Shark after shark with the occasional small Cod. These were not Spiny Dogs but big School sharks between 5 and 6 feet.

I had just battled four consecutive 5 ft flaming sharks so decided to up anchor and try a drift across the reef, usually holding good Blue cod.

Not far into our drift the rod bends over with that typical sharky feel about it, big hard nods and long runs. ā€œBloody sharkā€ I said to my trusty fishing partner. ā€œRemember to play it like a snapper she said, thatā€™s what you always tell me.ā€

Anyway did I listen, NO, I cranked the drag up and winched the Beast in. Within minutes I could barely believe my eyes, this fish that rolled over was not grey, it was Red and white. Wholly crap, (and other words) left my mouth, get the Bloody net it's a Snapper, an bloody big snapper......

A desperate surge forward with the net by my boatwoman, and the beast was flapping around on the deck. A few high fives and wahoo's and splash there I was diving in to the deep blue for my lap of Whiskey Bravo.

Probably a good thing I forgot for a second about all the sharks we had been releasing. Back in the boat to consider my catch.

This was when the neighbouring boat came over to help after hearing screams and looking over to a big splash as I entered the water. Poor folks thought we were in trouble and I was MOB.

Anyway long story short, I had completed my first swim of the Wanganui fishing season, It was November and the water 14Degrees. Did I feel the cold. Nope, not that I can remember but this will go down as one of my biggest fishing memories.

One I will tell to my grandchildren when they ask about my 19.47lb snapper on the Living room wall.

Great read CrayZ and that is a great looking mount. Who did it? got to love those westie school sharks eh?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Otto, seriously cool story! Thumbs Up
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:25pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Smudge. Snapper was mounted by Richard Hawke in Scotts ferry. Funnily enough about a month before the mount was finished I caught a bigger fish that went 21.5lbs also from Wanganui. In both days those snapper were the only ones caught.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Thanks Smudge. Snapper was mounted by Richard Hawke in Scotts ferry. Funnily enough about a month before the mount was finished I caught a bigger fish that went 21.5lbs also from Wanganui. In both days those snapper were the only ones caught.

Haha that's how it goes eh Stephen, great story. Fishing wouldn't be the same without the stories!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:42am
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Caught this beauty in Majorca, Spain - Originally declined to take the fishing trip as my partner wasn't fishing but it was still going to be almost 330EUR each even though she wouldn't of done any fishing. 

Any way the day I wanted to fish came and went but got a phone call late in the afternoon by the skipper of the boat asking if I wanted to go out the next day. He said he'd caught 3 bluefin tuna that day (took it with a pinch of salt). Also said one other guy wanted to hire half the boat for the next day and we could hire the other half which worked out far cheaper than paying separately for the boat. 

Went out of Alcudia the following morning with no expectations but was good to be out on the boat. Little did I know I was about to catch a fish of a life time.

After catching the livebaits in the morning we parked up at a spot where we could clearly see baitfish and tuna on the sounder. As we waited for the livies to get hit, I offered to teach my partner how to catch. A few minutes later she was reeling in a few mackerel all excited about her first ever catch. The second she lifted the fish into the boat the magic "zzz zzzz" sound was heard... All hell broke loose and all was forgotten about the mrs for the next 2 hours. LOL

Zero wind and off anchor, this fish was pulling the 8tn boat backwards. The captain yelling out - This one isn't a sardine while laughing. After a hard 2 hour slog, up came the colour and just like a little kid I was jumping for joy in the seat. Couldn't feel my arms though. 

Into the boat it came at 2.10m long and 200kgs - Bluefin Tuna! Fish of a lifetime!! 

If anyone is keen to go out on this charter - check out fishingmallorca.com 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:14am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Otto, seriously cool story! Thumbs Up

Thanks
Page  12>