Cheap topwater reel for kingfish

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap topwater reel for kingfish
    Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:19pm
Brendog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there everyone. I have been watching a few videos and want to start top water fishing for kingfish. I have a okuma abf 80b baitrunner spooled with 15kg mono would this be sufficient for smaller kings? If not what would be a good cheaper reel for kingfish (under $250)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:32pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm not sure what they cost but what about the Daiwa BG ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jamiez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:55pm
Jamiez View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I reckon Spheros SW should be good,10000 size should be good for harbour kings。
just fyi:
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

daiwa bg5000 would be good, only 10kg drag but through a long rod thats all you need. 

The okuma you have would be good for entry level kingies and occasional ones upto 15-20 kgs, but I would recommend  Braid for fishing topwater lures, 50-65lb should be enough. 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:38pm
Brendog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah the only reason I didn't put braid on at the time was because I didn't want to risk wrecking the reel as it was so cheap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 6:58pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have an Okuma Salina and have caught enough kings to 15kgs to vouch for its use and also caught a 25kg GT on it from Autitaki. Dollar wise would fit your budget. ANother one worth looking at would be the Opus Bull.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 10:59pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jonocoogee jonocoogee wrote:

daiwa bg5000 would be good, only 10kg drag but through a long rod thats all you need. 

I can vouch for the BG 5000 for harbour kingies. I was a bit concerned about the 10kg drag but after advice on here I went with that, and have landed nice fish using 50lb braid (over clean bottom). Lovely smooth reel.

You can get it for about $260 online in NZ, or you could consider getting it from the very reliable Anglers Warehouse online in Australia for less than NZ$200 (landed in NZ) and use the balance to buy a nice lure or two.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 10:50am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Okuma Azores.

This is a complete no-brainer, with them being dumped for $149 here:
http://www.fullonfishing.co.nz/contents/en-uk/p4189.html

Perfectly capable reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wallopit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:39pm
Wallopit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

149 for the azores is well worth it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 4:25pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would the Azores 55 or 65 be comparable to a Shimano 10000 reel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 1:29pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by straks007 straks007 wrote:

Would the Azores 55 or 65 be comparable to a Shimano 10000 reel?

Size-wise the 65 is pretty similar to a Spheros/Saragosa 10000. The Okuma is marginally heavier, if you believe both companies published stats. The Okuma is rated for 20kg of drag vs the Shimano's 15kg; again unsure of the truth in either but both are plenty for fishing 50lb braid. The Okuma is a tiny bit faster.
The Okuma has a LOT of metal in it; the rotor, frame and sideplate.
The Shimanos have a composite rotor and frame, only the sideplate is aluminium.
The Shimanos (I'm prettttty sure) have carbon drag washers, the Okuma has felt washers on top and carbon under the spool.
The Okuma is obviously cheaper; the Shimano is likely to have better local support (although Okuma has come a long way in that regard).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:59pm
Brendog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What about a fin nor offshore 9500? There pretty cheap on eBay around $180 or would that size be a bit big for casting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wallopit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 2:42pm
Wallopit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah man the finnors ar a very relibl reel and more tan u to the job of catching kinies but theyre big and heavy so not much fun to cat with all day although im sure some people do 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big_Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 5:01pm
Big_Red View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mate I dunno if you bought anything yet but definitely go high retrieve, high drag, all day. And remember using it for topwater will eat a cheap reel quickly if not cared for correctly. I bought a Stella 14000 then went back to my thunnus 8000 the other day as i was getting the Stella serviced. I was amazed at the difference going backwards. The thunnus I had used for about 3 years prior got smoked, more markedly, and the amount of winding was very very noticeable.
Don’t let anyone tell you 15kgs is all the drag you need. I listened to multiple convos and found that theory to be subjective opinion. You can do with less drag sure, but when you get that one monster that thing will melt. (Not literally).Crank that **** up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brendog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:19pm
Brendog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nah I haven't bought anything yet but honestly don't know what to go for the fin nor with its huge drag or the okuma Azores being a bit smaller with a faster retrieve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:50pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe take a look at the new Penn Slammer ||| H in 6500 or 8500 not overly expensive, strong gears, big smooth drag stacks.
Might be an option IMO
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:58pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pete the penn is what I'm looking at for a light set up for Tauranga harbour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

you'll build some good muscles with the finnor offshore 9500, its heavy and a bit clunky but built like a brick with some good power. might be better looking at the 7500 instead if you want to go that route, its smaller, lighter, same drag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:36pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fin Nor FBS 80, mint, $100 plus post?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 10:23pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I bought a Okuma Azores SW from a guy on Trade Me for $190. It blue and silwer. 65 model. Use it the other day and caught a 26 kg yellow fin tuna with it. Spooled with 50 lb braid. It cheap but done the job for me.

Don't be fooled by the " you need 25kg of drag" stuff. Most of the time you not even using 10 kg of drag. It more likely 6 to 8 kg of drag.
Page  123>